Shimano Rant - with a happy ending

thebob

1 hour ago, Gert Janse v Rensburg said:

The GX Clutch (Spring) is actually serviceable and you get the spring as a part from the local importer...

How do I get my hands on one? My GX clutch is a bit pap

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

15 hours ago, Gert Janse v Rensburg said:

The GX Clutch (Spring) is actually serviceable and you get the spring as a part from the local importer...

The spring and the roller bearing clutch are two different things. Have a look at the SRAM parts catalogue, there are 6 part numbers available for the rear derailleur, none of them are related to the clutch. I've done my research

14 hours ago, CARANXCycleMobile said:

If you dont come right,im sure that I'll have a piston for you

Thanks! I'll keep in mind for future

Just a little follow up to show the terrible level of customer engagement from Coolheat. I posted on Twitter 3 days ago, tagging them and asking what the warranty policy was for these pistons and why they wouldn't help when Shimano overseas appears to help customers. Zero reply. So, I go to their Facebook page and ask the exact same question with a pic of the broken piston attached. No reply or attempt to reach out to me and they deleted the post within 10 minutes, What an absolute bunch of thugs. I will never ever again consider supporting Coolheat locally.

8 minutes ago, thebob said:

Just a little follow up to show the terrible level of customer engagement from Coolheat. I posted on Twitter 3 days ago, tagging them and asking what the warranty policy was for these pistons and why they wouldn't help when Shimano overseas appears to help customers. Zero reply. So, I go to their Facebook page and ask the exact same question with a pic of the broken piston attached. No reply or attempt to reach out to me and they deleted the post within 10 minutes, What an absolute bunch of thugs. I will never ever again consider supporting Coolheat locally.

Unbelievable  - there is no way that that piston failure should not be dealt with under warranty. Have you read the actual terms and conditions of the warranty? It may be that Coolfreak have just made that part up?

I asked for the policy on my post, I have also now sent them an email and a Facebook message as well asking for the same info and whether they would like to reach out to me to explain. I see the Facebook message has been read, but surprise surprise, no reply. If I hear nothing by Monday I will be phoning them and asking to speak to the boss. If he won't speak to me I will go to their offices, they are just down the road from me

Update: Got the email read receipt. No reply as yet

Edited by thebob

I have had a reply to my email from one of the technical people there with an explanation from they as to why the claim was rejected. I understand fully from their side the reasons for doing so. I am still the moer in as to why a brake less than a year old has failed this way and why no compromise was offered to make it right. They have undertaken to have a chat internally and see what they can do.

Assuming they are being consistent with the truth the main issue they highlighted is that the dealer should not have stripped the caliper. There is apparently a liability issue and Shimano themselves have this policy. They listed some other reasons, like the form wasn't filled in correctly, incorrect/incomplete info which lead to rejection. Fair enough, but then engage with the dealer and customer to try and sort it out. I'm still waiting to see if they will make an offer to assist me. If not, I will repair with the parts from Robert and move on.

Edited by thebob

Hmm I've been eyeing some XT/SLX brakesets on the BikeHub market, but threads like this suggests I should consider otherwise. 

The story has a happy ending! They relooked at the case and have decided to help me with a new caliper on warranty. I am very happy with the outcome and grateful to the two chaps at Coolheat who made the call to help me. However, it should never have come to this. A warranty claim is a procedure that is based on evidence and information. A lack of either does not mean a claim is rejected out of hand, it means more information and evidence must be gathered. Will have my bike back on Monday 🤞🏻

This is what happens when you get a service guy making decisions based on procedure that affect customer relationships and then the Sales guy has to step in and say "Hey hold on a moment" do you realize the damage you doing on all my hard work creating these relationships. - Story of my life in the capital equipment game  😫