Apple launches new Apple Watch Ultra

Matt

24 minutes ago, Matu said:

Ant+?

Can you connect to power meters, etc.?

bluetooth, yes but apparently not with their build it apps. These videos convinced me to try and ditch my stupid garmin watch and edge and mount

Edited by Jbr

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, Fred van Vlaanderen said:

Why be an Apple guinea pig when you can use a Garmin would be my summary. I will definitely wait for people to give this watch a thorough review after long term testing. 

Because both garmin products I had were utter ****, both replaced under warranty and the replacement unit having different issues. so thats a 100% failure out of two fenix 5 and two edge 530

Edited by Jbr

5 minutes ago, Jbr said:

Because both garmin products I had were utter ****, both replaced under warranty and the replacement unit having different issues. so thats a 100% failure out of two fenix 5 and two edge 530

Sorry to hear. I've been lucky enough to have zero issues with three Garmins.

Garmin make awesome devices. Apple make awesome devices. I use both for different purposes and rate them awesome in different ways. Both have a reputation for standing behind their products and for constant innovation, so device choice can be down to personal preference, preferred ecosystem, personal use case etc. 

I always laugh though when folks think that rubbishing another product somehow will make their choice seem better. There’s plenty of preferences out there and each person makes their own choice. 

Depending on the reviews I may jump ship to an Apple Watch. I have a Garmin 530 that I use on the bike so might end up being best of both worlds.

Edited by _David_

11 minutes ago, _David_ said:

I was in the market for a second hand Fenix 6/7. Depending on the reviews I may jump ship to an Apple Watch. I have a Garmin 530 that I use on the bike so might be best of both worlds.

I have the 530 on the bike and use the Garmin chest strap because it seems to last really well. For me, the iPhone, the Apple Watch, the HomeKit and the AirPods work so seamlessly together that the Apple Watch makes sense, but then I also don't do multi-day adventure events and stuff. I also work for Apple, so am maybe more personally invested in the products. 

34 minutes ago, Jbr said:

What issues? Battery?

Common issue is people using their cell phone fast chargers, to charge Garmin Devices. I slow charge all my devices through a PC.

I am about 12 Garmin products in (in my family) and we have not had a single issue with any of them over 10 years +, from the days of the Edge 500 and the FR310XT to the latest. 

I wish my Fenix 5 would give in so I have an excuse to get a new one!

Common denominator here is not Garmin.

I had an Apple watch, 3 months of use and I couldn't wait to sell the POS. Worst thing I have probably ever spent money on.

Good luck with the warranty claim from Apple in SA down the line.

5 minutes ago, BrentCGP said:

I'm still using my Fenix 3 HR, and also hoping it will die, so that I can justify buying a newer model!

It hasn't skipped a beat since day 1.

20 minutes ago, BigDL said:

I have the 530 on the bike and use the Garmin chest strap because it seems to last really well. For me, the iPhone, the Apple Watch, the HomeKit and the AirPods work so seamlessly together that the Apple Watch makes sense, but then I also don't do multi-day adventure events and stuff. I also work for Apple, so am maybe more personally invested in the products. 

I would actually like to ride without my phone or my edge, just my bike, my watch (with celular), tools and nutrition.

But it seems the appleWatch my disapoint me a little. I usually always listen to youtube videos on the bike (youtube premium allows listening in the background), or youtube music.

I seems youtube music is supported by the watch but not youtube... This could be a problem for me. Also no official whatsapp support, but apparently there's an unofficial app that uses Whatsapp web and works well...

34 minutes ago, BrentCGP said:

What issues? Battery?

Common issue is people using their cell phone fast chargers, to charge Garmin Devices. I slow charge all my devices through a PC.

I am about 12 Garmin products in (in my family) and we have not had a single issue with any of them over 10 years +, from the days of the Edge 500 and the FR310XT to the latest. 

I had an Apple watch, 3 months of use and I couldn't wait to sell the POS. Worst thing I have probably ever spent money on.

Good luck with the warranty claim from Apple in SA down the line.

1 watch the battery died within the warranty period

2nd watch the connector to charge it never really plugged in very well, always takes me 5 mins to make it charge I actually bought a couple more cables and out of the 3 cables I have only one charges the watch now, but I'm never sure I will manage to get it to charge everytime. Good thing is you don't need to charge it that often.

Both watches take for ever to connect to satellites, but overall except for the problems above work reasonably well.

The Edge, first one was turning off every time I'd hit a pothole and would never turn back on again until I plugged it, bit silly for a bike computer that is sold as MTB specific (air time, flow, grit...). I had to do a MTB marathon completely blind because of it, not knowing how far in (time or distance) I was. Not ideal.

The replacement unit never wanted to pair with any of the phones in the house, only syncs via cable or wifi (so when I'm not home it's via phone personal hotspot). Also navigation never works, wether it's from a pre-made route (it takes me to random places, says off route when I'm on the route, wants me to start by the finish....) or if I ask it to calculate a route to go back to start point (calculation always fails).

Calling someone an idiot without calling him an idiot, nice

Edited by Jbr

I’ve always switched between Fenix and Apple since the start. Since the new series 7 apple, I’ve finally found a watch I am happy with. Personally the wrist heart rate is way better vs Garmin, it’s lighter and I can live with more then 18 hours battery life. The only issue I find with the Apple Watch is the smell on my wrist after I remove it. Edge 830 for the bikes and apple for the rest. 

Great idea from Apple. It's still too slick for me - I prefer the more rugged look and feel of Garmin. I suspect Apple is going to take a lot of market share if they are able to get a more appealing design because I believe their hardware and data analytics is superior (GPS is more accurate and their gyroscope and magnometer has the ability to analyse your swim stroke for example). 

In my mind that's the next thing/current thing. Consumer aimed smart devices able to improve the average Joe's performance/technique.

Good on them.

Edited by M L

Ive made peace with people slagging products just because they are ignorant. there is no other way to say it.

People who aren't in the ecosystem or power users wont ever get it. Let me reiterate how the apple ecosystem works if you still don't get it after all this time of trying to understand why:

There is no point in having JUST a watch. Thats what they do so well. You'll hate it most probably becasue it will live in isolation to all your other mixed bag of devices.

Like you hate you apple carplay because you have some  samsung or huawei phone and it's like trying to explain english to a chinese person using an abacus.

Now say you have computers, phones, ipads, apple TV's, carplay, watches.....

To quote Aladdin, thats a whole new world. You must experience that awesomeness once in your life. You just don't get the luxury of not ever having to make crap work cross platform seamlessly. The best way i can explain it is - The Borg. They operate like a Hive mind. They are evrywhere and everyone lol.  There is no fuss...it just works.  

Nobody else does it like them. NOBODY. You can say what you want. Thats what a closed system with software/hardware gets you.

So use your windows 11 laptop with your samsung phone and your garmin watch and your google chrome.

I dont care lol.

You do your things....i'll do mine. I know from experience what works best for my application😜 

I use my series 3 watch purely for Vitality points on the IDT sessions. They don't need the extra stuff, so I might as well just give them what they need. I get up to 2 days out of a charge, and it's convenient for my daily intended use. At R999 per watch, through the Vitality rewards program, it's a no-brainer.

The wife started with a series 1 (38mm), and now has a new series 3 (44mm), while I have the original series 3 (42mm); all on my Vitality account. It would have been a 4th watch, but I didn't want to commit to 2 years in 2020 when the pandemic started.