[Event] Cape Town Cycle Tour 2023

FootballingCyclist

Some random pics of a stunning day

And there goooooesss @Jewbacca

CTCT23-12.jpg.d974a05dd14a82e374ebacfdf2bf0a99.jpg

Those views ....

CTCT23-11.jpg.bc426717ecc412aef1c0638cdc0b0f6b.jpg

And then the concertina started playing ....

CTCT23-10.jpg.ec2351fe0c0b401abdc259d8a174298f.jpg

CTCT23-9.jpg.1785eccd6ca352cc68f1f0e859702810.jpg

SEATTLE Houtbay .... YES, I stopped for coffee :thumbup:

CTCT23-7.jpg.e7c7ea1af374cbc85122e3e9f0cb92c0.jpg

The views just kept on getting better ....

CTCT23-4.jpg.0bdf692b21dda0e023426b034a3bd4aa.jpg

Almost home .....

CTCT23-5.jpg.5f548bdac69067b4216116eec731d597.jpg

Had to sit in the naughty corner for 4 minutes before being let into the gates .....

CTCT23-6.jpg.1ad0f12446e8ceb41fcc0c81a70a695c.jpg

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Such a lekker ride. Weather was too perfect. Enjoyed the cool ocean breeze. 

Met and chatted to plenty of people along the way. The chirpiest were the tandem people. Keen to get my wife to ride along one day. 

One thing that did annoy me: 99% of the ebikers were courteous in not riding too differently when the group was chilling on the up hills at sub ebike limiter speeds.... Then out of nowhere! A chump or chumpette would shout "ON YOUR RIGHT!!!" coming past an already congested climb road and expecting everyone to just respect the lithium king. Definitely embarrassed the ebikers chilling with us in the bunch. 

We'd invariably catch them on the flats and downs, then again later... the same person.. ."ON YOUR RIGHT!!" causing the whole group to swerve/re-adjust again.

It's fine if you are unseeded and putting in actual inspirational blood and sweat effort under your own power. At least you'd think twice about rushing a group and losing all that effort for nothing if we don't move in time.

You're not proving anything by rushing groups on climbs with your ebike. If anything, you're just missing out the amazing scenery and annoying the sh#t out of us ATP fueled mortals. 

Besides that minor recurrent annoyance. It was a superb 11/10 spectacular day. 

Have the jersey tan and post argus downness to show for it. 

Edited by V18

2 hours ago, FootballingCyclist said:

First lap normal CTCT route but up amd over Camps Bay drive, down signal hill then back onto the Freeway again, then end of M3 go right, then over Ou Kaaps, then Chappies again, the over Constantia Nek, and down, back onto M3 going back to Town(short route) then through Town, and up Kloof Street to finish on Signal Hill...

THAT would be Epic...

My calves are killing me just reading that! 😅

35 minutes ago, mikkelz said:

I laughed! 😂

Yep, that's gold. Also witnessed a lot of that. Just rolled my eyes and returned to enjoying the views. 

Edited by Jacques Joubert WC

4 hours ago, Serhan said:

If we are lucky 2024 could be a possibility without moving the race, current calendars point to first day of fasting on 11th March 2024. Let's hope the Maan kykers concur.

My first year riding in the earlier groups, started 1B. The crash happened just to the left of me.

Tried to hold on to the front of the group up Edinburgh, got boxed in to the main group while watching the front of 1B break away.

Was a good learning experience for me. The start was frantic. I had hoped the guys would be more organized at the earlier start groups.

Do things like signalling not apply in the early start groups ?

Simonstown area didn't feel like a race, felt more like a coffee ride.

Saddle dropped somewhere after Smits, smashed my quads for the remainder of the race.

Managed to finish on PB of 3:16.

Glad to have finished safely.

Lots more training needed before I am ready for a proper sub 3 attempt.

You must have been right next to me because it was just to the left of me... Can still see the one guy's face as he landed on his shoulder. 

57 minutes ago, V18 said:

Such a lekker ride. Weather was too perfect. Enjoyed the cool ocean breeze. 

Met and chatted to plenty of people along the way. The chirpiest were the tandem people. Keen to get my wife to ride along one day. 

One thing that did annoy me: 99% of the ebikers were courteous in not riding too differently when the group was chilling on the up hills at sub ebike limiter speeds.... Then out of nowhere! A chump or chumpette would shout "ON YOUR RIGHT!!!" coming past an already congested climb road and expecting everyone to just respect the lithium king. Definitely embarrassed the ebikers chilling with us in the bunch. 

We'd invariably catch them on the flats and downs, then again later... the same person.. ."ON YOUR RIGHT!!" causing the whole group to swerve/re-adjust again.

It's fine if you are unseeded and putting in actual inspirational blood and sweat effort under your own power. At least you'd think twice about rushing a group and losing all that effort for nothing if we don't move in time.

You're not proving anything by rushing groups on climbs with your ebike. If anything, you're just missing out the amazing scenery and annoying the sh#t out of us ATP fueled mortals. 

Besides that minor recurrent annoyance. It was a superb 11/10 spectacular day. 

Have the jersey tan and post argus downness to show for it. 

Very well said.

That 1% really spoils it for thr rest ....

4 minutes ago, Mamil said:

You must have been right next to me because it was just to the left of me... Can still see the one guy's face as he landed on his shoulder. 

You should probably go home, Your family is probably worried and wondering where you are. LOL

Edited by FootballingCyclist

27 minutes ago, Mamil said:

Yes,  I was in a red Jersey with a big EA on it. If anything the crash had me on high alert for the rest of the race.

4 hours ago, The Ouzo said:

So the racetec results shave 30s off my time to give me a 3:36

82/316 in my group. 

happy with the result. 
now to find 16 minutes for next year. 
already hit PBs on the 4 big climbs this year. 

What group for interest sake? I finished in a similar time but way down in the F group 

20 minutes ago, olmec said:

image.png.69254eaf173548286553b07e25810fd1.png
Inspired by the work of another hubber I did this analysis on the 2023 results.

Jeepers, that spread in 4G. Anywhere from 3h to 7h