440MTB

Low-Ballers  

222 members have voted

1. 1. Do you low-ball people?

• Yes, always!
    • Nope, I pay asking price!
    • I negotiate fairly!

25 minutes ago, MM said:

Certainly did the job without any issues... May I ask what you ride and how many kms do you ride/what is your elevation gains per month? 🤔

Some people seem to think overspending or having a fancy bike makes you somehow more elite/better than the guy next to you who will ride rings around you on his cheap "junk".

Just coz you're fortunate enough to have more money to splurge doesn't mean you need to be an elitist yuppy or an arrogant tool.

look into the virtual mirror here tchjina.

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

7 minutes ago, robbybzgo said:

Hey MM, I think the main responders are just yanking your chain. Thought you were going to hang up your gloves on this one awhile ago.

There are a bunch of dudes on BH who delight in taking the pisss out of pretty much anything and usually everything.

Unfortunately these guys stifle more general discussion coz other hubbers don't want to raise a discussion that just develop into a squabble just like this one.

Let's call this group the CABAL. They try to rule the roost and gang up on free-minded hubbers who hold an opinion on any subjects they want to pick on and inevitably turn the argument against them.

DOES THIS RING A BELL?

Suggest you just disconnect and apologies to the cabal for maybe spoiling their fun.

Conspiracy theory much?

1 hour ago, MM said:

Fair enough/be that as it may... but I asked you to show me something that is for sale now/something one can buy today.

The prices on everything has gone up, look at what any 2nd hand motorbikes sold for 3 years ago new, 2nd hand and what they sell for 2nd hand these days.

Does this mean people should just stick to the prices from 4 years back? Especially if the item for sale was only purchased by the seller not even half a year ago?

Not sure when last you looked at dual sus 29er prices? You get bargains, but at what cost? You get pigs, at what cost? You get well looked after bikes, at what cost?

To put it in perspective, a 2019 Spark 910 can be had for anything between R39k and R45k, a 2022 model new costs R110k, so you either have to pay for what is available, or go buy new, and new of 4 years ago vs new of today is MUCH more expensive.

2021 spark 960 for 26k with 1x12 XT

https://bikehub.co.za/classifieds/item/dual-suspension-bikes/594187/scott-spark-960

https://www.facebook.com/753314571/posts/pfbid0xuA3zJvTCbdjyjygeXGeCN6sBmenLiuNhbbtMQkTxa9EQNADe2QBoEemvLGpLHY4l/?app=fbl

Screenshot_20221022-163244-1.jpg

Edited by Barry

1 hour ago, MM said:

Not sure how every 2nd poster seems to think I got emotional?

Not like I was forced to accept, but sheesh, seems the tact some people lack is just par for the course... 45% less of asking price is an audacious slap in the face. I merely asked if this is the norm here, which doesn't seem to be according to the votes on the poll.

All good man, not being condescending or anything here, but please show me a 2019 Spark 970, in immaculate condition (the stanchions aren't even faded yet), with a basically brand new 1x12 NX drivetrain, serviced, well maintained and with extras, for R20/23k. Coz then I overpaid by R10 to R7k (and from what I can see on the market, this isn't the case), you see 960s with SX groupsets for R36k these days.

This thread isn't, never was, and never will be about my item on sale... it was about how someone makes an offer of 45% less than asking price, and how some (according to the poll, most in fact), consider that as low-balling, as most votes are for fair negotiations over low-ballers.

It was also Leon (The Bike Vendor) who sold me the bike, I knew I was paying a tad more for it compared to others, but the bike was, and still is, looking almost brand new. So not sure who you're referring to in this post. 😕

IF you were not emotional and IF you were just asking if this is the norm you would think it would be just that, a question.

“Hi Hubbers, I got offered 15k on my bike which I advertised for 30k, is this normal?”

however, you got into precise detail and use the persons name as if you calling him / her out and wanting to make a point. Almost shamefully like telling on someone to the teacher. 

Then you want the topic locked cause you over it cause people have not agreed with you? Sounds emotional to me. 

I always offer way lower than I think they would accept then they usually counter with the lowest offer they would accept.  I did this when buying my house offered R250k below on a house that was already priced lower than all the comparables on the market, instead of countering they accepted I felt done in 😅 because they didn't counter now I never know if they would have gone lower. 

11 minutes ago, Foxy said:

I always offer way lower than I think they would accept then they usually counter with the lowest offer they would accept.  I did this when buying my house offered R250k below on a house that was already priced lower than all the comparables on the market, instead of countering they accepted I felt done in 😅 because they didn't counter now I never know if they would have gone lower. 

I take it you went for opiton one on the poll. 😂

13 minutes ago, Foxy said:

They know what you don't know about the house and that one neighbour to your left

1 hour ago, Captain Fastbastard Mayhem said:

BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! Jeez, dude is butthurt.

@MMyou may receive slightly lower levels of trolling if you dropped the sanctimony.

Hey dude! How’s it hanging?