• Yes, always!
    • Nope, I pay asking price!
    • I negotiate fairly!

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Mail recent experience showed me that if you negotiate fairly you always get the short end of it. People aren’t always honest about a second hand item they are selling and the condition thereof. After you pay the repair bill you end up much worse than the actual market value of a well looked after second hand item.

1 hour ago, Reggie1210 said:

Mail recent experience showed me that if you negotiate fairly you always get the short end of it. People aren’t always honest about a second hand item they are selling and the condition thereof. After you pay the repair bill you end up much worse than the actual market value of a well looked after second hand item.

You should take a rider that has done the Epic with you to look at the 2nd hand bike

On 10/21/2022 at 8:06 PM, MM said:

Defintely not overpriced by R10k, there are similar bikes on the market for more than my asking price (which is negotiable btw, but again my neg. seems to be another's low-ball).

That said, not sure how this is a rant (I even have a poll! Lol 🤣), merely engaging with the community to get input, etc.

Also, most people's replies have actually been quite meaningful/insightful, or at the very least... entertaining, so not sure where you're coming from to be honest...

But thanks for the reply nonetheless, I appreciate your meaningful insight and taking time to add your R2.50 to the jar.

Best. Thread. Ever. 

Edited by M L

6 hours ago, fanievb said:

And most okes who went to "elite" boys only schools 🥷

Fanie kry asb jou feite reg. 

Gim is nie ‘n seunskool nie. 

Edited by M L

Mmmmm...certainly entertaining. For some reason I am wondering what happened to that oke that sold bike tours in Stanford and vanished off the face of the earth 

Edited by wessie12

Good Friday forumming all round I say.

I have no problem with low balling, although I don't do it generally. My Hub experience has been good and only one left me bemused; the opposite of low balling. I saw some pedals at a good price, offered the asking price and was told after a day or so that someone else offered more; just a bit too much I thought and backed off. Chinese auction, no harm, no foul.

Cape Epic - the gold standard for complete insecure clowns who think everyone who has not ridden it is not a real mountain biker or cyclist and has no technical knowledge and experience. 

makes sense a “epic” rider helped with this sale, when you happy to pay 100k to sleep in a tent you will be happy to pay 10k + plus over price for a bike. 

On 10/21/2022 at 5:13 PM, MM said:

Hey there everyone, trust you're having an awesome Friday!

Just thought I'd share my thoughts/experience...

As someone who is pretty new here, and as someone who's "wheeled and dealed" a fair bit in my life... I found BikeHub to be a nice alternative to the norm, and I come here to escape the Gumtree mentality of some buyers/sellers, but it seems James from BikeMarket.co.za or @WeBuyBicycles  on BikeHub wants to make BH like Gumtree...

Offering R14k less than asking price... ?

Surely as someone in the business of selling yourself, you must be accustomed to every man and his dog low-balling you, and I'm sure you don't entertain or appreciate when people do this, so not sure why one would do this here?

Ja but some people ask R14k for a 2007 26inc bike so that why you getting low balled

On 10/21/2022 at 5:13 PM, MM said:

Hey there everyone, trust you're having an awesome Friday!

Just thought I'd share my thoughts/experience...

As someone who is pretty new here, and as someone who's "wheeled and dealed" a fair bit in my life... I found BikeHub to be a nice alternative to the norm, and I come here to escape the Gumtree mentality of some buyers/sellers, but it seems James from BikeMarket.co.za or @WeBuyBicycles  on BikeHub wants to make BH like Gumtree...

Offering R14k less than asking price... ?

Surely as someone in the business of selling yourself, you must be accustomed to every man and his dog low-balling you, and I'm sure you don't entertain or appreciate when people do this, so not sure why one would do this here?

Not a tax expert in anyway, but pretty sure these established 2nd hand outfits with large volumes are above the revenue threshold and would need to charge VAT for the bikes once they sell them.

Seems like they can claim on their input purchases, but not sure how simple that is in reality with SARS. If they are having to swallow this VAT expense, then they need to squeeze the margin on both sides to actually make a living.

https://www.auditpartners.co.za/a/13720/vat-on-second-hand-goods

On 10/22/2022 at 4:14 PM, robbybzgo said:

Hey MM, I think the main responders are just yanking your chain. Thought you were going to hang up your gloves on this one awhile ago.

There are a bunch of dudes on BH who delight in taking the pisss out of pretty much anything and usually everything.

Unfortunately these guys stifle more general discussion coz other hubbers don't want to raise a discussion that just develop into a squabble just like this one.

Let's call this group the CABAL. They try to rule the roost and gang up on free-minded hubbers who hold an opinion on any subjects they want to pick on and inevitably turn the argument against them.

DOES THIS RING A BELL?

Suggest you just disconnect and apologies to the cabal for maybe spoiling their fun.

What are you on about here?

There is no cabal, cofba or TCS boys club. 

And while this could have played out differently, @MMkind of got his point across.

Advertised bike at R32k

BM offered him ~R17k

Thread here became all about this sale, with pitchforks waving in the wind like swartand wheatfields.

He sells the bike for ~29k.

If you take away the wheeler dealer being named specifically in the OP and @MM  having a "for sale" listing then there would have been little to no drama.