Tour de France 2024

'Dale

17 hours ago, peepeekaitjie said:

Van Aert will also not defend his title at the Belgian Time Trial Championships. He will only return home two days before the Belgian Championship road race in Zottegem (23/6) to stay in Tignes as long as possible and to have the best possible Tour preparation.

https://www.hln.be/tour-de-france/ook-goed-nieuws-voor-geplaagd-visma-lease-a-bike-positieve-signalen-rond-tour-deelname-van-aert-en-vingegaard~a60c38b5/

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Season 2 was great. Way better than season 1. Great insight into the different teams mentality, Groupama vs Jumbo vs UAE etc.

They really focused on Ben O’Connor though. He’s almost like the lead actor here but i really enjoyed his transformation. From all the hype, to not living up to expectations and then to see the elation on his face when he helped Felix win that stage. I thought that was really great to see.

Pidcock came off a right asshole but he’s clearly a winner. Was great to see Rodriguez win that stage with everything going on but he looks a bit soft to be a pure GC leader.

But having Pogi on really made a huge difference. The emotions at the end of the time trial and then completely dropping on the queen stage. He literally smashed WVA and then in turn got smashed by Jonas. So much talk about doping etc which im not gonna comment but can I just say how fantastic Jonas actually rode that day. His bike handling skills through those corners on a tt bike was just out of this world. He was on another level that day and for me, one of the best TT performances ever. 

13/06/2024

GREAT NEWS FOR JONAS VINGEGAARD AHEAD OF TOUR DE FRANCE: "HE IS ABLE TO WORK ON THE TIME-TRIAL BIKE AND IT DOESN'T BOTHER HIM"

Jonas Vingegaard fractured ribs, suffered a punctured lung but also fractured a collarbone in his crash at Itzulia Basque Country. The latter created an issue for the Team Visma | Lease a Bike rider where he could not ride the time-trial bike, but that obstacle has now been overcome.

"He is able to work on the time-trial bike and it doesn't bother him at the moment so he is able to do the work on it. He was on the time-trial bike on Monday afternoon, and it went well, so I think you can continuously put more intensity on," Tim Heemskerk said in an interview with TV2 Sport.

In late May Vingegaard travelled to Tignes to prepare for the Tour de France with the maximum level of focus. Ever since, he has been joined by Wout van Aert and Christophe Laporte, and away from racing has been putting in the work to recover the best of his abilities. Two weeks of work remain before the Tour de France, and Visma is focused in improving his form as much as possible.

"He had to skip the Dauphiné, so he has not made a single start in a race situation. But he is preparing through training, he is on the road and riding with the boys." Vingegaard's test will most likely be at the Tour itself when the race tackles the climbs. Although it has not been given as an absolute certain, it can be said that it is virtually guaranteed that he will make the trip to Florence ahead of the 29th of June.

1 hour ago, Bub Marley said:

Season 2 was great. Way better than season 1. Great insight into the different teams mentality, Groupama vs Jumbo vs UAE etc.

Completely agree.

In addition, i enjoyed Jai Hindley's stage 5 win to briefly wear the yellow jersey - such a good kid, hoping he features more this year. (Altho i realise there is focus on Primoz "crash bandicoot" for the GC)

Im not sure where i stand on Jasper Philipsens shenanigans last year - the controversy around his aggression for the stage wins will only drive similar tactic escalation this year, he and Mathieu will be marked - i foresee some sprint crashes of note.

I remain optimistic about Cav getting no.35 ... maybe the others take each other out so he gets a clear run by stage 5 😝

18 minutes ago, Kom said:

I remain optimistic about Cav getting no.35 ... maybe the others take each other out so he gets a clear run by stage 5 😝

There is three ways for him to get that. 

1. get into a breakaway

2. Sprint where the majority of the sprinters crash. 

3. Split in the peloton due to some cross winds and him being the only sprinter in the front group.  

He does not have the top end speed anymore to compete with the real sprinters and also cannot climb like a Michael Matthews to do it from a reduced bunch. 

Jonas Vingegaard will ride the 2024 Tour de France, Visma-Lease a Bike tells B.T.

The final decision has been made after two months of rehabilitation following the dramatic crash in the Tour of the Basque Country, where Jonas Vingegaard broke a collarbone, cracked several ribs and punctured his lung.

And it certainly hasn't been an easy time, the reigning Tour de France winner admits:

"The last few months have not been easy, but I want to thank my family and my team for their unwavering support. We have worked together to get here and I'm looking forward to finding out where I stand," Jonas Vingegaard says in a press release and continues:

"I feel good and am very motivated."

This gives the Dane the opportunity to defend his double Tour de France victory against arch-rival Tadej Pogacar, a fact that earns the respect and delight of his boss, Sports Director Merijn Zeeman.

"I'm very proud of Jonas and our entire coaching team. He is coming back from a serious injury. In the last few weeks he has shown that he is a great champion - both mentally and physically," he says, emphasizing that you should not have too high expectations of the Dane:

We don't know how far it goes yet. We are cautious because he has not yet been able to race. And because his preparation has been far from ideal. But he's there - healthy and motivated."

Jonas Vingegaard will be joined at the Tour de France by perhaps the world's best support rider - Wout van Aert.

The Belgian had his season plans shattered with a serious crash in Dwars door Vlaanderen and had to withdraw from the Giro d'Italia. Now he's ready to support Jonas Vingegaard

"Of course this wasn't the plan, but with my progress in recent weeks, this was my wish and the team has agreed. Our big goal is to drive Jonas to a top position in the classification. I want to contribute to that on this strong team," says the Belgian.

Visma - Lease a Bike's team for the Tour de France:

Jonas Vingegaard (Denmark, 1996)

Wout van Aert (Belgium, 1994)

Sepp Kuss (USA, 1994)

Matteo Jorgenson (USA, 1999)

Christophe Laporte (France, 1992)

Tiesj Benoot (Belgium, 1994)

Jan Tratnik (Slovenia, 1990)

Wilco Kelderman (Netherlands, 1991)

1 hour ago, peepeekaitjie said:

SNIP

Sepp Kuss (USA, 1994)

Bl1ksem, that is a strong side. Going to be an epic battle between them and UAE throughout France...
(Obviously pending the true form of Jonas and Wout after their recoveries)

37 minutes ago, Vetplant said:

Bl1ksem, that is a strong side. Going to be an epic battle between them and UAE throughout France...
(Obviously pending the true form of Jonas and Wout after their recoveries)

As well as the ability to have recovered from injury AND actively recover through 3 weeks of racing for that last day ITT.

No mid stage champagne and neutral ride into Paris this year. The race of truth into Nice. 33.7km of full gas racing. 

It will be a nice change to the procession into Paris and the Crit race that follows, especially if GC is tight.

2 hours ago, peepeekaitjie said:

Jonas Vingegaard will ride the 2024 Tour de France, Visma-Lease a Bike tells B.T.

The final decision has been made after two months of rehabilitation following the dramatic crash in the Tour of the Basque Country, where Jonas Vingegaard broke a collarbone, cracked several ribs and punctured his lung.

And it certainly hasn't been an easy time, the reigning Tour de France winner admits:

"The last few months have not been easy, but I want to thank my family and my team for their unwavering support. We have worked together to get here and I'm looking forward to finding out where I stand," Jonas Vingegaard says in a press release and continues:

"I feel good and am very motivated."

This gives the Dane the opportunity to defend his double Tour de France victory against arch-rival Tadej Pogacar, a fact that earns the respect and delight of his boss, Sports Director Merijn Zeeman.

"I'm very proud of Jonas and our entire coaching team. He is coming back from a serious injury. In the last few weeks he has shown that he is a great champion - both mentally and physically," he says, emphasizing that you should not have too high expectations of the Dane:

We don't know how far it goes yet. We are cautious because he has not yet been able to race. And because his preparation has been far from ideal. But he's there - healthy and motivated."

Jonas Vingegaard will be joined at the Tour de France by perhaps the world's best support rider - Wout van Aert.

The Belgian had his season plans shattered with a serious crash in Dwars door Vlaanderen and had to withdraw from the Giro d'Italia. Now he's ready to support Jonas Vingegaard

"Of course this wasn't the plan, but with my progress in recent weeks, this was my wish and the team has agreed. Our big goal is to drive Jonas to a top position in the classification. I want to contribute to that on this strong team," says the Belgian.

Sepp Kuss (USA, 1994)

Best news ever, interesting the way i read the article on cyclingnews is that he Jonas is expected to be competitive not necessarily to fight for yellow. Should be a goody... my guess Remco have a fan throw him with covid spike alcohol somewhere in the 2nd week

24 minutes ago, Jewbacca said:

he ability to have recovered from injury AND actively recover

Jonas wife is preggers so him and wout will have a fresh batch of colostrum

I can already see Unchained Season 3 is going to be a hit, "Remarkable comeback from Jumbo Visma as all riders recovered from career ending injuries in the lead up to the tour but "miraculously" wins a 3rd Consecutive TDF Title".

1 minute ago, peepeekaitjie said:

Jonas wife is preggers so him and wout will have a fresh batch of colostrum

On 6/14/2024 at 6:57 AM, peepeekaitjie said:

The team must be in desperate need of fresh colostrum 

Ok then.