Canyon: Keep It Simple Stupid...

MORNE

In fishing, 90% of the fishing tackle is designed to catch the fisherman. 

I know, I'm a sucker

But speaking of being re-calibrated, whats that locking safety wire doing on the test unit? Is that to prevent setting changes while riding? 

Those frames look like secret test beds too, no paint, new styled front end to receive cables into the frame etc... Nice!

Edited by 117

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Irvin85 said:

Wonder if this will make any difference when you travel at 60km/h plus and your bike starts with that annoying speed wobbles or help on a sinkplaat road. 

For someone with one weak arm I guess this will help me alot. 

no, for it to work it would need great resistance, which would be annoying for actually riding your bike most of the time.

Again on the topic of steering dampers (what is used for what you say), if I used my race superbike on the road I would often fall over or at least it would be very unconfortable trying to make a slow u-turn on it as the steering damper is set to be very aggressively slowing down any rotation of the bars, as on track you don't really need to turn the wheel right or left quickly, but you do need to dampen any woobles since you often wheelie on the gas on corner exit or while shifting gears at high speed and that often with the wheel at an angle.

3 hours ago, _David_ said:

Reminds me of the steering dampers you get on Superbikes.

Except it's not a damper, it's a spring. No damping at all, all it does is pull your bars straight.

If it was an actual steering damper I'd be more interested. 

9 minutes ago, droo said:

Except it's not a damper, it's a spring. No damping at all, all it does is pull your bars straight.

If it was an actual steering damper I'd be more interested. 

Look like there is some damping (not sure its of any use though!), if not the steering bar will continue to "oscillate" when let go, and that's not the case.

This just looks like another gimmick to me. Personally, I enjoy having to react to the bike and correct it. The use of things like this make bikes even easier to ride, and look like it will take some of the fun out of it. I see the purpose, but then again, mountain biking is not meant to be all point and shoot, it actually takes skill and line choice. Couple this with a big travel bike and you will be able to just plough through anything. 

Also I am not sure how it feels, but I think that the feeling of having my bars pulled around by something apart from myself would feel weird for a while.

So basically I am not a huge fan of things that just serve to make the sport easier and let people get lazier.

6 hours ago, The Ouzo said:

ebikes, suspension seat posts, plush rides, damped steering, looks like the new generation of golfers are pretty soft.

Seems I have a defective ebike .... blerrie Giant ....😋

Freewheeling down Odendaal the bike runs straight and stable in excess of 70km/h .....

Come to think of it .... even the Darrvin maintain a decent turn of speed down Franschhoek pass ... 

The marketers are making up this **** as they go along ....

7 hours ago, TheoG said:

Look like there is some damping (not sure its of any use though!), if not the steering bar will continue to "oscillate" when let go, and that's not the case.

a bicycle as all the steering damping it needs.

Its called "trail"

The steering moving while riding hands off the bars is actually a function of you balancing on the bike. Its not a bad thing.

This has been the week of weak  gimmicks. Bravo Bike industry, making April's Fools 365 a year

12 hours ago, DieselnDust said:

a bicycle as all the steering damping it needs.

Its called "trail"

The steering moving while riding hands off the bars is actually a function of you balancing on the bike. Its not a bad thing.

This has been the week of weak  gimmicks. Bravo Bike industry, making April's Fools 365 a year

ya but do you even make money if you don't convince the market to buy stupidly short stems and then follow it up with steering dampers to correct for the newly introduced twitchiness? 

I see this as a solution to a problem that is not there but also creating a big ass problem when that fails and you cannot straighten your bars, possibly.........
The play on words in the name is ironic in that sense because it is anything but simple.

Just now, The Ouzo said:

power steering for bicycles

Only problem is, unlike with cars where the steering is "assisted/easier", with this the steering force/torque required is increased, granted marginally, but still ...

Someone convinced the roadie world to route their hydraulic cables internally through the stems and head sets... look how that turned out for the service guys. 

Wonder how the service would work here? Or I'd imagine the fork is proprietary which locks you in for the beeeg mullah as you go on in life. Designers won't design stuff that is free of parts or maintenance intervals otherwise there's no longevity going forward