Tshwane Classic

pmswanepoel

I did this event a few years ago with my kid ...was awesome...was looking forward to it...I stand to be corrected but its sad to see that the organisation was a betting organisation on numbers... eg if we get x number we can proceed but since we did not get the numbers cant ... or so it seems... 

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have mailed the organizers asking for a full refund.

The issue here is that you cannot get clients to waive their CPA rights by signing contracts. It is difficult to contest because it is unlikely that anyone will contemplate defending their CPA rights over R400. Some organizers try to get around this by stating that if the event is cancelled on the day as a result of health and safety issues then they will not refund you. This is contrary to the spirit of the CPA which is not interested in WHY the event was cancelled, only that consumers are protected from paying for goods and services and then not receiving them, whatever that reason may be. 

My interpretation is that we are legally entitled to a refund, whatever the organizers say. This relates specifically to protection afforded to South African consumers by the CPA.

Think about it. They organized and advertised an event that they then cancelled three hours before the start. There were no storms, snow, fires, Russian missiles, etc. In my opinion the only reason they didn’t proceed is that it was a speculative exercise where they probably decided to not go ahead if they didn’t have the numbers. This is not on. You cannot takes money from over 1000? people under such circumstances and glibly refuse refunds  because you didn’t get sufficient numbers.

Let’s not kid ourselves about the postponed event. The reputational  damage sustained will put paid to anyone being interested in Tshwane Classic 2022: The Sequel 😱

6 minutes ago, Speed Racer said:

The reputational  damage sustained will put paid to anyone being interested in Tshwane Classic 2022: The Seque

no just the Tshwane Classic, any event organised by Hectic 

52 minutes ago, Speed Racer said:

I have mailed the organizers asking for a full refund.

The issue here is that you cannot get clients to waive their CPA rights by signing contracts. It is difficult to contest because it is unlikely that anyone will contemplate defending their CPA rights over R400. Some organizers try to get around this by stating that if the event is cancelled on the day as a result of health and safety issues then they will not refund you. This is contrary to the spirit of the CPA which is not interested in WHY the event was cancelled, only that consumers are protected from paying for goods and services and then not receiving them, whatever that reason may be. 

My interpretation is that we are legally entitled to a refund, whatever the organizers say. This relates specifically to protection afforded to South African consumers by the CPA.

Think about it. They organized and advertised an event that they then cancelled three hours before the start. There were no storms, snow, fires, Russian missiles, etc. In my opinion the only reason they didn’t proceed is that it was a speculative exercise where they probably decided to not go ahead if they didn’t have the numbers. This is not on. You cannot takes money from over 1000? people under such circumstances and glibly refuse refunds  because you didn’t get sufficient numbers.

Let’s not kid ourselves about the postponed event. The reputational  damage sustained will put paid to anyone being interested in Tshwane Classic 2022: The Sequel 😱

I have also sent them an email requesting a refund - I don't expect to receive it though.

I know there were organizational costs that have now been "lost", however, it doesn't justify the amount of money that they have received from entrants. It appears that it was their own fault for the event not proceeding, as they didn't pay the Metro - pay back the money!

28 minutes ago, ShyandReserved said:

So we avoid "Hectic promotions" and they change the trading name to "ACME TRADING" for the future🙄    moral is no races in the Pretoria area to be entered 

It's a bit unfair on the organisers that are not related to them, and organise events in Pretoria, eg. the Rooiwal events; there are seldom complaints from these events, and should be supported.

Hectic Promotions organise The Blue Diamond and Lost City events.

2 hours ago, Pieter-za said:

We paid CSA a membership fee - surely they can't distance themselves from this Hectic-ness?

Where are their governance, audit function, oversight and even sanctions etc?

CSA said that they revoked the sanctioning certificate, albeit at the 11th hour.

Was the start area all set up, medics etc and ready to go if the event was approved? 

Normally a clear sign if this wasn't in place, that it was never going to happen

Can a refund be effected via a ''Chargeback'' transaction?

Chargebacks are a demand by an issuing bank/cardholder’s bank against a merchant to make good the loss on a fraudulent or disputed transaction. This means that the merchant’s account will be debited with the same amount that was originally credited from the client’s account. Besides fraud, chargebacks can occur due to processing errors, authorisation issues and the non-fulfilment of copy requests.

Edited by Pieter-za

7 minutes ago, Pieter-za said:

Can a refund be effected via a ''Chargeback'' transaction?

my wife banks with Nedbank. The other day we went to home affairs for new passports, because of the multiple payments (we applied for 4 passports and each payment needs to be done separately) one of the transactions was doubled.

Nedbank want R150 to reverse the transaction. 

8 hours ago, RobertWhitehead said:

Well I for one won't go through the effort to enter another road event in the future. "Die kool is net nie die sous werd nie". I'll stick with my 2 events per annum. I really want to go and do the Trans Augrabies but it is just such a drive. 

FWIW, trans Augrabies is worth it if you like a fresh technical and well hosted race. Great leaving the family in the park. Worth the drive at least once. 

1 hour ago, Frosty said:

It's a bit unfair on the organisers that are not related to them, and organise events in Pretoria, eg. the Rooiwal events; there are seldom complaints from these events, and should be supported.

Hectic Promotions organise The Blue Diamond and Lost City events.

Maybe inform "Blue Diamond" and "Lost City" of their antics ... or should I say, the sponsors and site owners that are associated with these two events.

Canceling the event is "unfortunate" .... but taking late entry money when they KNEW they were about to cancel it ..... that's low !!!

Maybe for the late entrants .... speak to your banks to have the payments reversed ....

3 hours ago, ratherberidin' said:

FWIW, trans Augrabies is worth it if you like a fresh technical and well hosted race. Great leaving the family in the park. Worth the drive at least once. 

YES :clap:

My wife could sleep in a bit, or join the hikes they arranged for the families.

This must rate as one of THEE BEST organised events.

And the cycling scenery is truly unique.

Lani and her team rides MANY events during the year.  

https://bikehub.co.za/events/races/view/292/trans-augrabies-2023

Edited by ChrisF