2022 Virgin Active Ride Joburg

The Ouzo

Been there. My first one. Got the medal 😆 But ja, mudfest describes it well.

The back brakes wore onto the metal - a little stone thrown in there by the water, lodged between the caliper and the pad. Because brakes squeak anyway in mud, I only realized later something was off. Had to stop and take the pads out, so rode about 20km with only the front brake, which made things interesting 😁 Front brakes also took shots, so that's at least two new sets of pads. 
The front chainring is also shot. At least an inexpensive already worn oval, but still. Cost add up.

The gravel there is very sandy/grainy, and it just goes in everywhere and lodges. Spent a good 2 hours cleaning the bike. The one deep water crossing, I just walked through, so it looks like the wheel bearings didn't have water ingress, thankfully. 

The staging area was about ankle-depth mud in some places. We rode through heavy rain spots. The wind was icy cold. Was definitely a big challenge, but I'd probably do it again in the same conditions. 

Although hoping next year will be dry, would love to ride some of those winding sections at pace. It is a very cool challenging route.

• Replies 601
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, MudLark said:

I rode Berg n Bush one year where the mud was super crazy. Day 1 my chain eventually wouldn't stay on the chain ring. Day 2 my front wheel eventually wouldn't turn and later my RD wouldn't shift anymore either (SRAM GX). I had huge fun. The bike didn't seem to suffer too much either though the paint did get chewed off the inside of the chainstays. Many years later I am still using that bike. But mostly I stay away from mud rides nowadays.

You are not doing your Hub Handle justice😃

Hey guys, as usual I leave things to the last minute and I've managed to miss getting an entry to Ride Joburg this year. Looking for 1 possibly 2 entries if anyone is looking to sell their entry.

7 minutes ago, SarahBoughey said:

Hey guys, as usual I leave things to the last minute and I've managed to miss getting an entry to Ride Joburg this year. Looking for 1 possibly 2 entries if anyone is looking to sell their entry.

have you checked the website, entries could still be open at a cost

17 minutes ago, The Ouzo said:

have you checked the website, entries could still be open at a cost

I did and sadly it says entries are closed 🙈

6 hours ago, Schnavel said:

I saw a video of the ladies finish - absolute mud bath!

That ride was the most fun I have had on the MTB in a while ... Was totally crazy and totally awesome ... I could not stop smiling after each mud segment .... Yeah, plenty of damage on components, but for that awesome ride .... totally worth it ... Bike is already at the bike shop .... 

6 hours ago, SarahBoughey said:

I did and sadly it says entries are closed 🙈

Seems like quite a few for transfer on the cradle group on Facebook...

Edited by Sandro
wrong word

11 hours ago, Steady Spin said:

The stuff dreams are made of. The dreams of every bike shop owner ready to replace a R10k drivetrain. 

This is the issue...hell no. 

10 hours ago, CorrieTheron said:

Been there. My first one. Got the medal 😆 But ja, mudfest describes it well.

The back brakes wore onto the metal - a little stone thrown in there by the water, lodged between the caliper and the pad. Because brakes squeak anyway in mud, I only realized later something was off. Had to stop and take the pads out, so rode about 20km with only the front brake, which made things interesting 😁 Front brakes also took shots, so that's at least two new sets of pads. 
The front chainring is also shot. At least an inexpensive already worn oval, but still. Cost add up.

The gravel there is very sandy/grainy, and it just goes in everywhere and lodges. Spent a good 2 hours cleaning the bike. The one deep water crossing, I just walked through, so it looks like the wheel bearings didn't have water ingress, thankfully. 

The staging area was about ankle-depth mud in some places. We rode through heavy rain spots. The wind was icy cold. Was definitely a big challenge, but I'd probably do it again in the same conditions. 

Although hoping next year will be dry, would love to ride some of those winding sections at pace. It is a very cool challenging route.

If its dry call me! 

6 hours ago, mudda said:

That ride was the most fun I have had on the MTB in a while ... Was totally crazy and totally awesome ... I could not stop smiling after each mud segment .... Yeah, plenty of damage on components, but for that awesome ride .... totally worth it ... Bike is already at the bike shop .... 

This will never, ever happen to my machine 🤣

On 11/10/2022 at 1:05 PM, pedal menace said:

Is it just me or is this continued slot booking to collect our number absolutely ridiculous and so 1850s! Perhaps if it was still full CV19 lock down - but really - this is utterly inefficient in my opinion. I cannot predict in my day to day work when I will have a moment to pop through and collect my number. In today's modern technology - surely this can be done with walk in walk out processing. And now that most of us that rode last year will use the same board on the bike - why even go to the expo to register??? Surely you can just register/verify online?

On 11/10/2022 at 1:25 PM, edgarblount said:

What will happen if I do not pitch at my chosen time slot? Expelled from the race? Banned for 2 years? I'll book a slot but they will see me when they see me.

Every time slot I want to book says it's not available, so I will go there when it suits me.

Just now, Frosty said:

Every time slot I want to book says it's not available, so I will go there when it suits me.

I've booked a slot for just in case, but I'm not sure what time I'll actually be able to go through.

9 minutes ago, Frosty said:

Same here - assume its some IT issue on their side? What a daft system...

Haven't done the new route before so hoping someone can help me. Was supposed to ride with a friend's son who has now injured his knee. He has trained alot and wants to at least get a feel of riding a race. He's at WITS and is thinking of meeting me at the Smit street onramp and joining me there and will ride up to back to Nelson Mandela bridge from where he'll go back to Wits. He doesn't want to risk riding more and this will be the most convenient way for him to get in the km he would like. Would it be possible for him to join the route and then get off again as described? TIA

34 minutes ago, silkman said:

Haven't done the new route before so hoping someone can help me. Was supposed to ride with a friend's son who has now injured his knee. He has trained alot and wants to at least get a feel of riding a race. He's at WITS and is thinking of meeting me at the Smit street onramp and joining me there and will ride up to back to Nelson Mandela bridge from where he'll go back to Wits. He doesn't want to risk riding more and this will be the most convenient way for him to get in the km he would like. Would it be possible for him to join the route and then get off again as described? TIA

Don't know the distance of above suggested route but can't he try and source a 35km route entry?

Will be able to get some sorta feel for 'racing' and also soak up the atmosphere at the start and finish.

He doesn't want to drive all the way and have the schlep of going to FNB if he's not doing the full race. This route is doable according to him as long as he can get on at Smit street.

The mtb race was incredible - a lot of drama at the start with the delays due to lightning but once it got under way it was a lot of fun. The mud in some places was tough to get through, they actually closed off a lot of the single track (especially close to the river) we rode a lot of cart paths but it was all good fun.

W.r.t the road race - is there an additional charge to ride an extra lap?