2022 Virgin Active Ride Joburg

The Ouzo

Another newbie question - I heard at some point in the race (about halfway?) there are some big gaps in the road/highway(?) that are not covered and has lead to some nasty falls in the past.

Some pointers on where this is and how to avoid it?

• Replies 601
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, Skubarra said:

Another newbie question - I heard at some point in the race (about halfway?) there are some big gaps in the road/highway(?) that are not covered and has lead to some nasty falls in the past.

Some pointers on where this is and how to avoid it?

Its closer to the end than halfway, as you get on the M1 to head back to Soccer $hitty.

Hopefully they've learnt from last year and cover properly this year, if not, take all expansion joints at as close to 90deg as possible.

From my experience I am quite convinced cramps are caused by muscle exhaustion ('ooreising') and salt, minerals, etc etc are not the silver bullet to prevent / fix it.  (Training / conditioning is...)

So maybe try to do your best to 'manage' the muscle output?

13 minutes ago, The Ouzo said:

Its closer to the end than halfway, as you get on the M1 to head back to Soccer $hitty.

Hopefully they've learnt from last year and cover properly this year, if not, take all expansion joints at as close to 90deg as possible.

Tx - so roughly here?

image.png.2f5510df45799f18383500be212cde0b.png

Just go over it as "square" as possible and/or lift your front wheel.  I will be on my rigid hardtail MTB with lekker vet 2.4 tekkies, so its not going to bother me at all ... 🤪

14 minutes ago, The Ouzo said:

sorry cant access route map from work PC,

but here

image.png.0380b00144efd68c6a5ac63b34462540.png

On the streetview you can see the expansion joints running in the same direction as you would be riding, make sure to cross it at 90 degrees, like the red arrow below. Several people fell badly last year. I think there was an ambulance there with someone when I came past.

image.png.e0546e12f1666a69204c14208e7b1f3d.png

21 minutes ago, Gr3mlin131 said:

On the streetview you can see the expansion joints running in the same direction as you would be riding, make sure to cross it at 90 degrees, like the red arrow below. Several people fell badly last year. I think there was an ambulance there with someone when I came past.

image.png.e0546e12f1666a69204c14208e7b1f3d.png

Its not the ones you are showing with red arrow. Those are fine as you fly over them at 90deg. It's this one (orange line) that you must watch out for, as the on ramp will force you to hit this joint at a very acute angle. This is the one the chap fell on/got stuck in last year 

IMG_20221116_155241.png.177d6621cd7b2df56ab201cedb019856.png

1 hour ago, Chadvdw67 said:

I find a salt tablet every 30-45 minutes helps to keep cramps at bay, I also carry some rennies for in case I do get cramps, that seems to help ease them up a bit, that or pickles/pickle juice, that stops cramps pretty quickly

Where do you buy the salt tablets ?

It can grap your wheel but like I said, if you lift your wheel or hit it square, you will be fine.

image.png.223abd12deb26f6f404d52548b4a604f.png

Edited by TheoG

21 minutes ago, 117 said:

Its not the ones you are showing with red arrow. Those are fine as you fly over them at 90deg. It's this one (orange line) that you must watch out for, as the on ramp will force you to hit this joint at a very acute angle. This is the one the chap fell on/got stuck in last year 

IMG_20221116_155241.png.177d6621cd7b2df56ab201cedb019856.png

as 117 said, thats the one that is the problem, and that is where the chap fell last year. (i think there was even a video clip doing the rounds)

Just try and 90deg it and you'll be fine

1 hour ago, Pieter-za said:

From my experience I am quite convinced cramps are caused by muscle exhaustion ('ooreising') and salt, minerals, etc etc are not the silver bullet to prevent / fix it.  (Training / conditioning is...)

So maybe try to do your best to 'manage' the muscle output?

I cramped badly almost 6 months ago .... a particularly hard ride ... fast pace and the strong wind.

I walk each day, and cycle 2 to 4 times per week.

As soon as I do a harder ride I cramp again.  Not further, but harder pace for 30+km ride.

Been popping SlowMag fizzies.

Mostly okay ... just constantly nagging at the back of my mind....