2022 Virgin Active Ride Joburg

The Ouzo

34 minutes ago, silkman said:

What's this you need to buy a "timing board" they talking about? 

If you’re a fun rider, you get to ride with a frame number, and feel a bit more like a Pro for the day.

• Replies 601
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It was issued free in 2021. Now anyone who doesn’t have one must pay. No board, no time, no result.

Rip off in my opinion. Goodie bags are also rubbish recently. Just another way to fleece us in these tough economic times

13 hours ago, silkman said:

Rip off in my opinion. Goodie bags are also rubbish recently. Just another way to fleece us in these tough economic times

It's not a once off timing board. It's similar to the old Racetec chips, just in a board form. You can use it going forward for many other races - I used it at the recent Germiston Classic.

28 minutes ago, Schnavel said:

It's not a once off timing board. It's similar to the old Racetec chips, just in a board form. You can use it going forward for many other races - I used it at the recent Germiston Classic.

So the timing board IS / replaces the timing chip? No other chip needed?

I see from the riders brief that they will make the Garmin file available, but the wording seems to imply that you will get it from the technicians at the expo? Does anyone have any info on other options to get it? 

14 hours ago, silkman said:

Nope.
Going forward (hopefully) you won't have to collect **** from **** venues hundreds of miles away.  You just use your permanent number and off you go.  

Saving hundreds of rands not going to do "number collections" will be the winning formula.

5 minutes ago, Spinnekop said:

Nope.
Going forward (hopefully) you won't have to collect **** from **** venues hundreds of miles away.  You just use your permanent number and off you go.  

Saving hundreds of rands not going to do "number collections" will be the winning formula.

but how will they make money ripping exhibitor off to be at the expo if they cant guarantee 30 000 feet through the door ?

18 minutes ago, Fork-it said:

I see from the riders brief that they will make the Garmin file available, but the wording seems to imply that you will get it from the technicians at the expo? Does anyone have any info on other options to get it? 

_2_94797_56141821_9 (1).gpx You should be able to convert that to a tif file 

7 minutes ago, Schnavel said:

no longer doing the timing for the event

And this is where I have a slight problem. Next year someone else does the timing and we need to buy a new "permanent" board.

13 minutes ago, The Ouzo said:

but how will they make money ripping exhibitor off to be at the expo if they cant guarantee 30 000 feet through the door ?

Hopefully the exhibitors will start growing brains and avoid the marketing BS and not setup at the "expo"

3 minutes ago, Koos Likkewaan 2 said:

And this is where I have a slight problem. Next year someone else does the timing and we need to buy a new "permanent" board.

There are a number of timing companies that use the current technology, FinishTime, Peak Timing, SS Timing, so there are a few options currently.

Edited by Frosty