2022 Virgin Active Ride Joburg

The Ouzo

19 minutes ago, silkman said:

I need to make my way to Auckland Park after the race and was thinking of just riding back there. Does anyone know if Nasrec road past Riverlea then crossing Main reef road will be possible for me to use. (it's  part of the route so not sure if I'll be able to get back after I finish at around 11am)

You will be relieved of your bike long before you get to Auckland Park

• Replies 601
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

21 minutes ago, silkman said:

I need to make my way to Auckland Park after the race and was thinking of just riding back there. Does anyone know if Nasrec road past Riverlea then crossing Main reef road will be possible for me to use. (it's  part of the route so not sure if I'll be able to get back after I finish at around 11am)

That section of the route will most likely be open to traffic by 11:00, and then it’s proceed at your own risk, through an area that is perceived to be less desirable. 

Last time I did the 94.7 was in 2014, we got stuck in traffic on the way to the (then) venue at Steyn City(?) and I completely missed my starting group.

Would really like to avoid it this year - I'm in one of the early starting groups and I stay in Auckland Park area, is it an option to cycle to the venue or is it too dangerous and I see Nasrec might be closed?

If I drive by car how much time must I give myself to get to the parking area?

Edit - I see a similar question has just been asked 😀 - ok so cycling there is not an option...

Edited by Skubarra

3 minutes ago, Skubarra said:

Last time I did the 94.7 was in 2014, we got stuck in traffic on the way to the (then) venue at Steyn City(?) and I completely missed my starting group.

Would really like to avoid it this year - I'm in one of the early starting groups and I stay in Auckland Park area, is it an option to cycle to the venue or is it too dangerous and I see Nasrec might be closed?

Edit - I see a similar question has just been asked 😀 - ok so cycling there is not an option...

granted numbers were way down last year, but getting in and out of the new venue is a million times better than Steyn $hitty. Remember this is a stadium designed to accommodate 10s of thousands of people, not an over priced over hyped residential estate.

40 minutes ago, Skubarra said:

Its in the latest race information pack sent out via email - handy little navigation tool the organisers set up: 

https://virgin-active-947-ride-joburg.herokuapp.com/

2 hours ago, Skubarra said:

I stay in Parkview and planning on riding there. The highway will already be closed at that time of the morning, so just bomb down the highway to get to the stadium - just make sure you are off the route before the racing starts.

29 minutes ago, Schnavel said:

I stay in Parkview and planning on riding there. The highway will already be closed at that time of the morning, so just bomb down the highway to get to the stadium - just make sure you are off the route before the racing starts.

Thanks - just out of interest what road/highway will you be taking in the area near the stadium (and back?)

With the M1 south closed from 03:00 onwards, just ride the route and get off at Nasrec road.

image.png.1c5b112f5f920ae17e3e418b14cdde6d.png

Depending on your start time, the last groups should still be going off when you are finished. Just join the route and ride back along the M1 until you get to an offramp that suits you (Jan smuts etc.)

20 minutes ago, Schnavel said:

With the M1 south closed from 03:00 onwards, just ride the route and get off at Nasrec road.

Depending on your start time, the last groups should still be going off when you are finished. Just join the route and ride back along the M1 until you get to an offramp that suits you (Jan smuts etc.)

It would be better to follow the route all the way to Nasrec; safer too from "opportunistic repossessors".

22 minutes ago, Schnavel said:

Tx @Schnavel and @Frosty- really appreciate this, would really prefer to do a little warm-up ride to the venue rather than driving through with the car (if one can avoid the bad hombres..)

Is it just me or is this continued slot booking to collect our number absolutely ridiculous and so 1850s! Perhaps if it was still full CV19 lock down - but really - this is utterly inefficient in my opinion. I cannot predict in my day to day work when I will have a moment to pop through and collect my number. In today's modern technology - surely this can be done with walk in walk out processing. And now that most of us that rode last year will use the same board on the bike - why even go to the expo to register??? Surely you can just register/verify online?

18 minutes ago, pedal menace said:

Is it just me or is this continued slot booking to collect our number absolutely ridiculous and so 1850s! Perhaps if it was still full CV19 lock down - but really - this is utterly inefficient in my opinion. I cannot predict in my day to day work when I will have a moment to pop through and collect my number. In today's modern technology - surely this can be done with walk in walk out processing. And now that most of us that rode last year will use the same board on the bike - why even go to the expo to register??? Surely you can just register/verify online?

What will happen if I do not pitch at my chosen time slot? Expelled from the race? Banned for 2 years? I'll book a slot but they will see me when they see me.

1 hour ago, The Ouzo said:

Current weather prediction 

E5F5CDF9-7309-4F31-A7F9-E420E64DBDEB.png

Would be awesome if the wind can give us a little push from behind coming back .... 🙂