Postnet and the expectation of a buyer when shipping

Jewbacca

2 minutes ago, Jewbacca said:

Which is what I'm asking.

Surely as this is the case, the buyer should just arrange a collection and eliminate the hassle for the seller?

I guess, as this discussion evolves, I am suggesting that the 'default' bikehub shipping should perhaps now fall on the buyer organising the courier collection as opposed to the current 'slap a hundy on top and make it their problem'.

@ACE Cycles it isn't simple, which is why discussions are invaluable and can evolve the topic as it goes.

I am certainly more clear on what I couldn't really put a finger on before.

I don't see why it can't fall on the buyer. It is a simple task to arrange a collection.  If he wants his goods tomorrow then he can arrange it. I do go a little out of my way and like to get the thing out and not have it hanging.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

15 minutes ago, Jewbacca said:

Which is what I'm asking.

Surely as this is the case, the buyer should just arrange a collection and eliminate the hassle for the seller?

I guess, as this discussion evolves, I am suggesting that the 'default' bikehub shipping should perhaps now fall on the buyer organising the courier collection as opposed to the current 'slap a hundy on top and make it their problem'.

@ACE Cycles it isn't simple, which is why discussions are invaluable and can evolve the topic as it goes.

I am certainly more clear on what I couldn't really put a finger on before.

All im saying is that if they slapped a hundy on top and you agreed to courier, then it is your problem. 

Personally, I arrange collection when buying, because I dont like waiting. So I'll structure the deal around having an item ready atva certain time for collection 

I'm kinda halfway between the two dissenting views on here. If you accept the cash, you accept the hassle. That said, managing expectations is always crucial so be clear about what you're offering.

I don't do Postnet anymore cos driving (or riding) there, standing in a queue, filling in forms, then driving back is an hour of my life I could put to much better use (and I'm about 10 minutes away from one).

If I was more mobile in my day to day then maybe, but as it stands it's not worth the hack. For a R 50 premium I send a mail and an hour later there's a man at my door to collect. If that's too rich for you, feel free to make your own arrangements.

3 hours ago, Jewbacca said:

I guess I am well aware of all the options, but I kind of feel that the buyer should take more of an active roll in organising it.

Not just pay an extra hundred bucks and make it my problem, which so often becomes the case

It's more the hassle of sending something than just having someone collect it. The running around and having it packed, I just pay extra and postnet does that so "loosing" money just for convenience sake. 

Have to say most people I have sent things to have not rushed me. 

4 hours ago, Jewbacca said:

Again, this is hypothetical, so don't come and tell me I'm wrong because your opinion and expectations don't align with my hypothetical situation.

I'm suggesting that 'the terms' as laid out by 'Shipping at buyers expense' and the expectation that slapping on R100 covers the costs and creates the need for priority.

I don't think it does. 

Which is why I'm asking.

I disagree with you purely on the fact that I sell things on here which I don't use at prices way below what I 'could' get so that other people can use the stuff and it doesn't just sit in a box.

Again, my thoughts are based on the assumed scenario that seems commonplace here that paying for postnet 'covers the shipping' when 9 times out of 10 it doesn't.

So, hypothetically, where is this place that you could get a better price for things?

The nature of second hand items is that they are only worth what someone is prepared to pay for them, and for the most part (comments on ads aside) the platform self regulates to a degree as we as cyclists perceive the value. Which brings me to my point, I doubt anyone sells stuff on here out of a sense of altruism, but rather because we wish to get some funds back on items that are not useful to us or we have no need for so that we can plug it into the next purchase or item, generally speaking, dealers are another discussion of course.
For me personally, I am always clear on the terms to in advance and will happily package something for collection or drop it off at postnet, I want to sell it after all. But would agree that if pushed too hard on time frame or price for that matter, no dice… willing buyer and seller and all that. But the word reasonable comes into it, which can hide all sorts of sins as my reasonable and another persons reasonable may differ, but I have had a very good run so far. 

I'm a salesman - been one most of my working career - Yes, and a flipping good one at that ! - When i list something and a person agrees to buy it I treat them like any other customer, Before i list it, the packaging is ready, once the funds are secured i get off my ass and finalise the deal, if it means i be at home for him to collect at the agreed time, making sure there is someone at home to hand over to  the courier or dropping it at Postnet I always tell them when that will happen - I keep the buyer informed via sms or WhatsApp - send him a screenshot of the waybill and send him a msg a few days later asking if they got the package. I have even driven to an agreed meeting spot to do the handover. One guy mentioned he would use an Uber to come fetch some old laptops i listed as he didn;t have transport - I drove instead to midrand met him at a Wimpy and even bought him a coffee.

A sales transaction doesn't end when the money is in the bank - It ends when the customer has the product in his hands and both parties are satisfied. They are the customer - If you don't like customers or their attitudes, then don't sell stuff.

What information is required to determine the transport costs and is there a default section where this information is recorded when the advertisement is placed? image.png.d08c2df64f30f03712132c1fb9077a1d.png

I previously used ARAMEX, I can but the sleeve at any Caltex any time of the day, then drop it off in the bin provided, any time of the day but the last time, there was an option without a wayble just a bar code that did not workout well for an item that went to the western cape.

1 hour ago, madmarc said:

I'm a salesman - been one most of my working career - Yes, and a flipping good one at that ! - When i list something and a person agrees to buy it I treat them like any other customer, Before i list it, the packaging is ready, once the funds are secured i get off my ass and finalise the deal, if it means i be at home for him to collect at the agreed time, making sure there is someone at home to hand over to  the courier or dropping it at Postnet I always tell them when that will happen - I keep the buyer informed via sms or WhatsApp - send him a screenshot of the waybill and send him a msg a few days later asking if they got the package. I have even driven to an agreed meeting spot to do the handover. One guy mentioned he would use an Uber to come fetch some old laptops i listed as he didn;t have transport - I drove instead to midrand met him at a Wimpy and even bought him a coffee.

A sales transaction doesn't end when the money is in the bank - It ends when the customer has the product in his hands and both parties are satisfied. They are the customer - If you don't like customers or their attitudes, then don't sell stuff.

Not many Sales people like you around these days, I am sure.

17 hours ago, Nico van Loggerenberg said:

PUDO is significantly easier and cheaper for me and I use it most of the time, although both the app and the company behind it (Courier Guy) are useless beyond belief. 

I've hardly ever had an issue with people expecting things immediately, but it comes down to communication and being clear about which days you'll be able to drop something off. 

Been using PUDO over postnet, while i do agree that the app and web portal seem a bit antiquated, the service is always 100% spot on. 

I also buy, sell and trade across different platforms and in my sequence of events is usually:

Sale terms are agreed.

Payment is made and POP received.

Goods are wrapped in anticipation of funds clearing (assumes an EFT).

Goods are posted same day funds clear. The 2 days it usually takes for the funds to clear should be ample time to plan a trip to Postnet.

A pic of the waybill and of the goods being wrapped are sent to the customer.

Sticking to this, I have never had any issues.

If I want an instant transfer then I too have to be prepared to reciprocate and have my **** together ready to go.

If I'm buying, then I expect the same vmg in shipping as there was in paying. 

22 minutes ago, MORNE said:

everytime for me...

i sold a fork and plus wheels recently in both cases i told the buyer to please allow me 2-3 days to get box's. then once boxed i sent them photos, dimensions and my address and told them to arrange their own courier with xoc as my recommendation. within 2-3 days their parcels were at their door.

while i agreed i needed to get the box and box it, well then this what i expect when i put it up for sale... otherwise the ad should state no postage collection only

9 minutes ago, Meezo said:

everytime for me...

i sold a fork and plus wheels recently in both cases i told the buyer to please allow me 2-3 days to get box's. then once boxed i sent them photos, dimensions and my address and told them to arrange their own courier with xoc as my recommendation. within 2-3 days their parcels were at their door.

while i agreed i needed to get the box and box it, well then this what i expect when i put it up for sale... otherwise the ad should state no postage collection only

Ive boxed and sent a whole bike i built for a cousin up to jhb this way too. Once booked from his side, they collected the box within 2 hours from my place and he had it the next day(granted he paid for overnight shipping)

1 hour ago, herrowpreeze said:

Been using PUDO over postnet, while i do agree that the app and web portal seem a bit antiquated, the service is always 100% spot on. 

Until something goes missing, then it's chaos and all the tracking numbers in the world won't help you.