Postnet and the expectation of a buyer when shipping

Jewbacca

6 minutes ago, Jewbacca said:

I guess I am well aware of all the options, but I kind of feel that the buyer should take more of an active roll in organising it.

Not just pay an extra hundred bucks and make it my problem, which so often becomes the case

Then you shouldn’t offer postage. Or inform the buyer that he needs arrange shipment.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, ACE Cycles said:

I disagree, completely. If I paid you for it, then the least you can do is get it shipped, as soon as possible. Alternatively, dont offer courier as an option

So here is the rub.

If 'as soon as possible is tomorrow afternoon due to life, then that's when it's sent. 

I don't believe that there is anything forcing me to drop what I'm doing to rush off to postnet ON MY TIME which hasn't been paid for until I can do so without sacrificing actual life.

'Courier at buyers expense' isn't really saying you're offering a courier.

1 minute ago, Jewbacca said:

So here is the rub.

If 'as soon as possible is tomorrow afternoon due to life, then that's when it's sent. 

I don't believe that there is anything forcing me to drop what I'm doing to rush off to postnet ON MY TIME which hasn't been paid for until I can do so without sacrificing actual life.

'Courier at buyers expense' isn't really saying you're offering a courier.

It sounds to me that A) You and the other party did not agree to a time line beforehand and B) You're not happy with the R100 received for postage.

If you're not happy with the terms, then dont accept the funds

2 minutes ago, ACE Cycles said:

It sounds to me that A) You and the other party did not agree to a time line beforehand and B) You're not happy with the R100 received for postage.

If you're not happy with the terms, then dont accept the funds

Again, this is hypothetical, so don't come and tell me I'm wrong because your opinion and expectations don't align with my hypothetical situation.

I'm suggesting that 'the terms' as laid out by 'Shipping at buyers expense' and the expectation that slapping on R100 covers the costs and creates the need for priority.

I don't think it does. 

Which is why I'm asking.

I disagree with you purely on the fact that I sell things on here which I don't use at prices way below what I 'could' get so that other people can use the stuff and it doesn't just sit in a box.

Again, my thoughts are based on the assumed scenario that seems commonplace here that paying for postnet 'covers the shipping' when 9 times out of 10 it doesn't.

I'm with @Jewbacca on this one, some buyers think everyone and their dog is out to scam you and take your money. Life happens and unfortunately my main form of income does not come from the R100 shipping that was paid over and above the selling price. But ok, if you state that you'll only be able to get around to shipping the item on such a date and the seller still hounds you then my advice: Refund the seller and re-list the item :oops:. That buyer is going to dissect your product and just leave a bad taste in your mouth 

7 minutes ago, Jewbacca said:

Again, this is hypothetical, so don't come and tell me I'm wrong because your opinion and expectations don't align with my hypothetical situation.

I'm suggesting that 'the terms' as laid out by 'Shipping at buyers expense' and the expectation that slapping on R100 covers the costs and creates the need for priority.

I don't think it does. 

Which is why I'm asking.

I disagree with you purely on the fact that I sell things on here which I don't use at prices way below what I 'could' get so that other people can use the stuff and it doesn't just sit in a box.

Again, my thoughts are based on the assumed scenario that seems commonplace here that paying for postnet 'covers the shipping' when 9 times out of 10 it doesn't.

So its simple then, charge more for courier, if your time is so precious

3 minutes ago, ACE Cycles said:

So its simple then, charge more for courier, if your time is so precious

I agree, communication again at the initial stages of the sale.
R100 buys a 3-5day drop off service service.
But if you pay me R500 and I will drop it off tomorrow. Simple.
Often charging more for the shipping will lose you the sale, so i agree that the term 'Shipping at buyers expense' warrants clarification when communicated with a prospective buyer.

2 minutes ago, Steven Knoetze (sk27) said:

I agree, communication again at the initial stages of the sale.
R100 buys a 3-5day drop off service service.
But if you pay me R500 and I will drop it off tomorrow. Simple.
Often charging more for the shipping will lose you the sale, so i agree that the term 'Shipping at buyers expense' warrants clarification when communicated with a prospective buyer.

Yes, absolutely. Shipping fees and time lines need to be discussed and agreed to

7 minutes ago, Barry said:

The biggest issue with shipping should be finding a box or packaging.  In today's age getting somthing shipped is a few clicks on a keyboard. 

Which is what I'm asking.

Surely as this is the case, the buyer should just arrange a collection and eliminate the hassle for the seller?

I guess, as this discussion evolves, I am suggesting that the 'default' bikehub shipping should perhaps now fall on the buyer organising the courier collection as opposed to the current 'slap a hundy on top and make it their problem'.

@ACE Cycles it isn't simple, which is why discussions are invaluable and can evolve the topic as it goes.

I am certainly more clear on what I couldn't really put a finger on before.