What events are you doing in 2023?

Mamil

10 minutes ago, Jewbacca said:

Basic perception and priority I guess, but trying to get a few mates together for an epic all day trail ride in Jonkers is like herding kittens.... Jonkers Enduro? Everyone is in.

Playing sheep is sometimes nice too. Throw in some healthy car park competition and it's worth it. 

Herding kittens yes 🤣 Just do a trip with a few mates sounds like an easy fun idea until you have to find an opening in the calendar, get peeps to commit, agree on the budget, figure out logistics, bla bla bla - suddenly that overpriced stage race looks like an option again.. But you certainly limit your world if you only do races / events.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

so far just 

CTCT

If budget allows I'll do a few more local ones.

2 wish list ones that are pulling me are

The Sabie tour

And then I think they call it the Kremertaart. That 1 day stage race. Looks interesting.

2 hours ago, Heeldrop said:

I create my own events spend money on my bike and gear that I keep forever and determine my own level of challenge

its been good so far...................

Outside is free

I like both ja. Events have a certain atmosphere and sense of occasion. Group rides with a bunch of mates are great too. And long all day solo journeys are a treat. Then there's the 20 minute Crit on zwift after work before supper...... 

23 hours ago, Jewbacca said:

I also find people (my friends) find it easier to commit to an event over a recreational day. It's 'a thing' as opposed to an option.

Basic perception and priority I guess, but trying to get a few mates together for an epic all day trail ride in Jonkers is like herding kittens.... Jonkers Enduro? Everyone is in.

Playing sheep is sometimes nice too. Throw in some healthy car park competition and it's worth it. 

Very much so in your part of the world. Flipping hell, organising mates together for an outing there is like a Russian roulette of kittens with squirrel brains! 😝

On 2/9/2023 at 8:32 AM, Jbr said:

I'm starting to feel worry about how quiet the organisers are about Tour du Cap. Usually we get 3 emails per week telling us how overwheelmed they are with requests to keep entries open and what not and they start throwing mad specials arounds. So far nothing, entries close tonight and I don't know if I should secure my entry now or wait to see if there's a special later....or if they cancel. Would be sad as the route is so much better than the previous editions

If they cancel tour du cap I will be extremely upset. 

On 2/8/2023 at 7:09 PM, RobertWhitehead said:

The plan was to do a Loskop outride this weekend (185km) but that will not happen, the organizers are looking to move it when its not too rainy

Next weekend it's Everesting 17-19 Feb

May is Clarens 

Outdoor cycling goes above my comprehension :oops:

Big Mountain gang 🤘

I've never done a MTB or grevvel race. Studying this thread for some inspirational ideas. 🥰

Looks like Race to the Sea is on the cards.

Edited by 'Dale

45 minutes ago, 'Dale said:

I've never done a MTB or grevvel race. Studying this thread for some inspirational ideas. 🥰

Plus 1 for Swartberg GF....A HC climb followed by the most epic descent into Prince Albert to finish. Rest of the ride is wonderfully scenic too. #mamilrecommendation

55 minutes ago, 'Dale said:

Vines and Views 👍👍

September 2023 

1 hour ago, 'Dale said:

Look into day races. First. Every where I read they say do day races first. Then stage. But I'm do amohela this year. Cheapest one. Then want to do the Karoo burn. And berg and bush and sani 2c. Thats on my list. But next year. This year I will do smaller ones

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/9/2023 at 8:53 AM, The Ouzo said:

Well if we had a decent central point where we could see all upcoming races in one place and then plan/budget for them it would make life much easier

So this popped up in one of my social media feeds justnow.

Busy downloading and will check it out

www.web.racespace.co.za

On 3/4/2023 at 10:14 AM, ChrisF said:

Looking forward to your feedback :thumbup:

Initial impressions are that its easy enough to use. gives you the ability to "favourite" an event as well as mark an event as entered. That way allowing you to keep track a little easier.

Can filter by discipline, province and a few others.

I have not checked if it has ALL events, but certainly looks pretty comprehensive.

On 2/10/2023 at 4:08 PM, The Ouzo said:

And then I think they call it the Kremertaart. That 1 day stage race. Looks interesting.

The best race you will ever do.
I have done 6 of the short Kremetarts (77km) back when I was a youngster and 13 of the 180km once.

Awesome goody bag.  Great atmosphere.  Amazing route - Bushveld.  

2002 (3).jpg