Tygerberg Mountain Bike Club Emergency Number Goes to Voicemail

Lawrence Biffi

21 hours ago, Eugene said:

I'm am pretty sure that Bloemendale Bike Park is legally required to have trained first aiders and the necessary first aid equipment available. 

Just like a public pool is legally required to have life guards. 

They cannot just shrug their shoulders and say they don't get involved. 

We start demanding this from every property we ride on then soon we will have no where left to ride other than a few venues that charge massive entry fees.

I think as mtb'ers we should accept that we are participating in a relatively dangerous sport and that there are risks involved.

On 1/7/2023 at 3:43 PM, Robbie Stewart said:

I was

I've got a pet hate for people standing ON THE OBSTACLE that intimidates them resulting in a ruined ride for others.

Did it really ruin your ride? Your whole ride? Embrace the chance to educate someone to use their common sense and situational awareness on where to stand, and then embrace the even better chance to show off your riding skills. 

On 1/7/2023 at 1:40 PM, Morne Veer said:

Afternoon. It is always unfortunate to hear of any rider coming off and getting hurt. As for the emergency number we had printed on the back of our 2022 membership boards, this is the number for MSCA Search and Rescue. Their number changed during the past year, and is currently no longer in use. Their new number is being used on all the 2023 boards - as per the image attached.  Speedy recovery to the rider. 

IMG-20221230-WA0025.jpg

That is the number for Wilderness Search and Rescue. 021 937 0300 

The right people to call in a case like this. 

I've had to phone it once to help a rider with a broken femur off Stellenbosch Berg, and I was blown away by their professionalism and their ability to get the right resources in place ASAP. 

They are an awesome bunch off people, all volunteers. And I believe as frequenters of mountains we should all have it saved on our phones. And all contribute a bit to their fundraising efforts. 

Edited for typo

Edited by PhilipV

On 1/7/2023 at 2:56 PM, Titleist said:

So why did you cycle past all the signs reminding you to buy a permit/board only to find a marshall just appearing out of thin air reminding you again because you did not read the signs?

Or is accessing private land without permission your hobby? 

This isn't a golf thread, or is it?

1 hour ago, PhilipV said:

Did it really ruin your ride? Your whole ride? Embrace the chance to educate someone to use their common sense and situational awareness on where to stand, and then embrace the even better chance to show off your riding skills. 

That is the number for Wilderness Search and Rescue. 021 927 0300 

I've had to phone it once to help a rider with a broken femur off Stellenbosch Berg, and I was blown away by their professionalism and their ability to get the right resources in place ASAP. 

They are an awesome bunch off people, all volunteers. And I believe as frequenters of mountains we should all have it saved on our phones. And all contribute a bit to their fundraising efforts. 

Correct, Wilderness Search and Rescue, who is affiliated to the Mountain Club of South Africa, Cape Town Region.  Just note the correct telephone number as printed on the back of the 2023 Tygerberg Membership boards, is 021 937 0300 not 021 927 .....as per the comment by Philip.

They have a great reputation as you mentioned, hence we recommend them to be contacted.  

Something worth considering, noting some of the previous replies.

ER24 and similar ambulance services only work when the patient can be reached by an ordinary vehicle.

As soon as the patient is on a trail and must be "recovered" to the nearest road, then it is best to contact Wilderness Search and Rescue.

On 1/8/2023 at 12:22 PM, Eddy Gordo said:

I dont know of any trails where you get medical assistance or recovered. You are left on your own. It is handy to have er24 number.  

Even 4x4 courses do not have recovery vehicles on hand if you get stuck. 

Tokaimtb.

As a small sample - since 20th December four injured riders have been recovered and assisted after calling the emergency number (0870 590 000).

Last year around forty riders were assisted.

2 minutes ago, ChrisF said:

Something worth considering, noting some of the previous replies.

ER24 and similar ambulance services only work when the patient can be reached by an ordinary vehicle.

As soon as the patient is on a trail and must be "recovered" to the nearest road, then it is best to contact Wilderness Search and Rescue.

Yes and no. Sort of.

In Tokai they take their vehicle to the trailhead and are met by Tokaimtb volunteers who take the paramedics to the scene of the accident. The paramedics then make a call as to the best way to remove the patient (this is often just a case of travelling down with Tokaimtb but has led to 4x4 recovery vehicles being brought in once or twice and on the odd occasion a helicopter is called in).

So far this has worked well and improves response times greatly.

51 minutes ago, Morne Veer said:

Correct, Wilderness Search and Rescue, who is affiliated to the Mountain Club of South Africa, Cape Town Region.  Just note the correct telephone number as printed on the back of the 2023 Tygerberg Membership boards, is 021 937 0300 not 021 927 .....as per the comment by Philip.

They have a great reputation as you mentioned, hence we recommend them to be contacted.  

Thanks. Edited my post. 

Sommer adding it here to remind everyone to save it on their phones :

WSAR 021 937 0300

3 hours ago, PhilipV said:

There's that angle too, but I struggle with for example giving it horns on the descent, really being amped to send that last obstacle, only to almost ride smack into someone standing on the amped for obstacle.

Did it ruin my ride? Probably not. Did it leave me agitated? Yes. Did I walk back and do the roll again? Yes. Was it as much fun as not having to stop and walk back again? No, because the "moment" was missed.

I accept sometimes I just don't get to ride the line as intended, but that does not mean I have to like it.

It's kind of like being dropped in on as a surfer. I have had many waves lost by okes just dropping in. Ja, I could just paddle back and grab another wave, but I was enjoying THAT wave before it got ruined.

But to each their own I suppose.

My gripe is not with helping others. I just have a pet peeve with people blocking the obstacle. Much the same way I detest people who gather in a doorway. 

You really don't have to stand ON the obstacle. Beside it is also cool. 

53 minutes ago, Robbie Stewart said:

There's that angle too, but I struggle with for example giving it horns on the descent, really being amped to send that last obstacle, only to almost ride smack into someone standing on the amped for obstacle.

Did it ruin my ride? Probably not. Did it leave me agitated? Yes. Did I walk back and do the roll again? Yes. Was it as much fun as not having to stop and walk back again? No, because the "moment" was missed.

I accept sometimes I just don't get to ride the line as intended, but that does not mean I have to like it.

It's kind of like being dropped in on as a surfer. I have had many waves lost by okes just dropping in. Ja, I could just paddle back and grab another wave, but I was enjoying THAT wave before it got ruined.

But to each their own I suppose.

My gripe is not with helping others. I just have a pet peeve with people blocking the obstacle. Much the same way I detest people who gather in a doorway. 

You really don't have to stand ON the obstacle. Beside it is also cool. 

lol.. I usually get annoyed at this behaviour, and then forget about it the next minute. I also never noticed anyone riding without a board, just because I couldn't care to check anyone else's bike.

Between the "too hardcore to stop on the trails" and the "membership board police", Looks like tygerberg is full of angry people at the moment, you guys must chill and just enjoy being out there

Edited by Jbr

2 minutes ago, Jbr said:

Looks like tygerberg is full of angry people at the moment,

Guilty as charged your honour. I've struggled with aggressiveness since early childhood. I know I'm a battle axe. I also noticed I've gotten progressively shorter fused as the years pass which is a bad thing and I am really trying to work on it. It's hard but I am trying.

On 1/9/2023 at 12:53 PM, PhilipV said:

That is the number for Wilderness Search and Rescue. 021 937 0300 

That number has been the number for WSAR for many years, not sure what the previous number was. Clad to hear that you had a good experience Philip, we work hard to provide was I believe is a world class service in the Western Cape. I am a volunteer with WSAR and we do all sorts of mountain related rescues every year (over 220 operations last year alone) ranging from lost people, downed MTB riders, fallen climbers and injured or sick hikers.