Anybody had decreasing resting HR with decreasing fitness?

Rapunzel

Much more info needed like age for example .Ex Springbok rugby player friend that has always been fit ,trained his whole life ,all the cardiovascular parameters are excellent ,needed a pacemaker for a heart rate disturbance .Lots of very fit people end up with large floppy hearts that give rhythm problems .Go see a cardiologist . I discovered that i have two leaking heart valves only after ten years of serious cycling  

10 hours ago, eala said:

Much more info needed like age for example .Ex Springbok rugby player friend that has always been fit ,trained his whole life ,all the cardiovascular parameters are excellent ,needed a pacemaker for a heart rate disturbance .Lots of very fit people end up with large floppy hearts that give rhythm problems .Go see a cardiologist . I discovered that i have two leaking heart valves only after ten years of serious cycling  

This. A friend doing a different sport noticed his endurance decreasing despite training etc (doesn't monitor his heart rate). GP sent him to cardiac guy and he's having his investigation for stents etc tomorrow.

18 hours ago, J Wakefield said:

There would need to be more context in the info. Reading it with the limited info it is the following:

Fitness has dropped (presume to less riding and training)
hasn't felt good on the bike (would be a normal reaction to loss of fitness 
Resting Heart rate is 5 beats lower than normal

This isn't enough info to say this person is over trained. Possibly could be a variable but he has mentioned nothing on his last 4-6 weeks of training volume. 

Has he been restricting meals to lose weight? if so, no energy and power is a typically a 1st sign. 

Typically 5 beats difference up or down is not a red flag when looking at variability. 

More info and you can start to investigate why. 

So context: 47yo female, 15 years mtb'ing (mostly competitive)

Training load dropped over Dec and early Jan to about 70% of previous load 

No dietary changes or calorie restrictions

Have added 2 x 4km runs per week in past month 

Have been considering the possibility of a potassium deficiency so started taking some electrolytes yesterday and tweaking diet to include potassium-rich foods. 

Will give feedback in a few days 

Just now, Rapunzel said:

Have been considering the possibility of a potassium deficiency so started taking some electrolytes yesterday and tweaking diet to include potassium-rich foods. 

What is the training volume per week please?

example: Week 1 10hrs 2 15hrs etc 
Intensity of each ride?
How many rides per week 

How has sleep quality been? 
Are you trying to lose weight by cutting calories?

50 minutes ago, Rapunzel said:

Have you checked Thyroid? sounds similar to somebody else I know. Don't know if its scientifically proven but doc at the time said they were seeing more cases of early onset thyroid issues iin cases post covid+

2 hours ago, Rapunzel said:

And with female physiology at that age, Rapunzel. There are so many intricacies. 🌻

5 hours ago, 'Dale said:

And with female physiology at that age, Rapunzel. There are so many intricacies. 🌻

This is true but last trip to the doc says I still have a few years grace  

7 hours ago, J Wakefield said:

What is the training volume per week please?

example: Week 1 10hrs 2 15hrs etc 
Intensity of each ride?
How many rides per week 

How has sleep quality been? 
Are you trying to lose weight by cutting calories?

Averaging between 9 and 11 hrs per week but not much structure. Normally 2 hard rides per week of 1-1.5hrs (2min or 4min interval session or hills zone 4-5 or IDT) and 1 easier longer ride (3-3.5hrs zone 1 and 2, occasionally a bit in 3) and then 1 or 2 shorter easier recovery rides with my daughter (zone 1 and 2)

Sleep has been a bit off with the load shedding but still about 7hrs and definitely not cutting calories.