Cyclist Down - Muldersdrift

cyclenut

3 hours ago, wolver said:

Knew about this device but didn't think much of it, until I tested one for a few rides. Once you have ridden with a Garmin Varia, the is no going back! 

I think many, me included, find them in the position of not being able to gauge the value of the instrument without having used it.

I am finding myself more and more interested in one though ...

Strongs to the fallen rider. 🙏

Edited by Thomo

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

7 minutes ago, Thomo said:

I think many, me included, find them in the position of not being able to gauge the value of the instrument without having used it.

100%... If Garmin could offer a three ride demo try before you buy to people, they would probably sell thousands more!

7 minutes ago, wolver said:

100%... If Garmin could offer a three ride demo try before you buy to people, they would probably sell thousands more!

speedy physical and mental healing to the rider. 

1 hour ago, Thomo said:

I would also like to try before I buy.  A couple of reviews complain that the audible volume is too low.  As my hearing is impaired I would really have to test.

Friend of mine has one, and another friend (also a Hubber) said they could both use the same Varia while riding together. Must be an Ant+ connection then to facilitate that.

The Varia is actually a no brainer if you riding on the road. Not only is the radar a very good safety tool, the actual rear light is up there with the best in the market in my view (Bontrager Flare). The day time flash is very good on the Varia.

The amount of people that still ride around on the road without daytime lights (front and rear) is beyond me. Its certainly not a finacial limitation because said people are all on bikes worth well over 50K.

Wishing this rider all of the best!

BEST wishes for both the cyclists and the driver.

As the thread is tapering towards the Varia, some questions for those that know these devices.

Anybody with experience of both the Varia and the other brand ?

Is dit "goed koop koop is duur koop" ?

How easy is it to switch between two bikes ?  

I often commute just with my watch, not the cycling computer.   How would this impact using the Varia (or other) unit ?

3 minutes ago, ChrisF said:

As the thread is tapering towards the Varia, some questions for those that know these devices.

I often commute just with my watch, not the cycling computer.   How would this impact using the Varia (or other) unit ?

Havent used the others brands so cannot comment on that.

Switching between bikes is really simple and they come with 3 adapters depending on your seatpost profile. One rubber band. Simple, fast and sturdy. I switch between bikes all the times... no issues at all.

The new varia can connect to your iphone as well so i assume will connect to your watch as well granted its a smart watch. 

5 minutes ago, ChrisF said:

As easy as fitting your cycling garmin, uses the same mount. I've had the Varia Radar only unit since Christmas and simply won't ride without it.

48 minutes ago, David Marshall said:

I would also like to try before I buy.  A couple of reviews complain that the audible volume is too low.  As my hearing is impaired I would really have to test.

That's the head unit you are using, not the Varia. 

In my group, we have varia's connect to 520's, 530's, 830's and 1030's. The volume from the 830 and 1030 is considerably louder when compared to my 520.

52 minutes ago, David Marshall said:

I use the Varia with my Edge 530 as well as my Wahoo Roam. The warnings on both units are pretty loud. So much so that some of the other riders in the group also rely on it as a warning for cars behind us. Kudos to Garmin for making the software available to other manufaturers to integrate with their head units.

1 hour ago, Schnavel said:

That's the head unit you are using, not the Varia. 

In my group, we have varia's connect to 520's, 530's, 830's and 1030's. The volume from the 830 and 1030 is considerably louder when compared to my 520.

Do you possibly know of anybody linking it to a Garmin watch ?  (Probably just easier to use the 530 for the commutes)

2 minutes ago, ChrisF said:

Do you possibly know of anybody linking it to a Garmin watch ?  (Probably just easier to use the 530 for the commutes)

yes, it pairs and works fine with watches and Edges... At least it does with an older Fenix 5. 

The wrinkle with a watch is that it's probably not viewable in a normal riding position and looking at it will likely take your hand off the bars and with traffic/trucks etc, I get the heebie-jeebies. Even so, the functionality is all there - beeps and a scale of where the vehicle is picked up.

Top-tip - if you get one, you're likely going to unbox it and hit the button... do not, whatever you do, look at the light... I did that 2 years ago when I got it and I swear I can still see it during night time loadshedding... it's hella bright!!!