Rear axel not coming out

Stoffel76

Got a strange problem...

Trying to remove my rear wheel on my Scapel... I loosed it with the Allen key as usual but the axel doesn't come out. I can see the thread coming out on the drive side, but it just forces the rear triangle apart but the axel stays in place. There is a nut between the cassette and the frame that is turning with the axel which I'm pretty sure isn't supposed to?

Any ideas what the problem is or how to fix it?

TIA

Sounds like the drive side end cap is jamming the axle . Might want to use a rubber mallet on the cassette as close to the 10t sprocket as possible. But maybe it’s better to get your lbs to check it out 

Sounds like the through-axle is seized into your hub axle. You should be able to see the other end of the through-axle through the frame on the drive side, use a wooden, plastic or alu dowel and tap it out, making sure that the last thread disengages before you give it too much of a clout.

If it's properly seized in it'll take more force than you think, so if it starts making you nervous, stop and take it to a pro.

19 hours ago, droo said:

Sounds like the through-axle is seized into your hub axle. You should be able to see the other end of the through-axle through the frame on the drive side, use a wooden, plastic or alu dowel and tap it out, making sure that the last thread disengages before you give it too much of a clout.

If it's properly seized in it'll take more force than you think, so if it starts making you nervous, stop and take it to a pro.

It came out by a few cm but no more... guess it's time for the pro... Andrew, I'll give you a call... thanks 

25 minutes ago, RABUBI said:

Its broken, time to burn it and buy a new bike

Heck no! About to throw myself into debt taking a second bond for an investment property and the bond originator looked at my budget and slashed all cycling related expenses..😭 so there won't be any new bikes for a while! 😆 Busy doing maintaince related stuff while I still can. The wheel was supposed to come off to replace the very knackered cassette and chain... 

On 2/1/2023 at 1:18 PM, BuffsVintageBikes said:

First rule of bike mechanics 101... the bigger the problem, the bigger the hammer required to sort it out. The axle has seized into the hub, it requires some force to get it loose.

Exactly this. Wooden support for the dropout, alu drift to not damage the axle, and force. 

I can't believe this - same thing happened with my Scalpel just now.

I was able to push back the axle with a hammer and a piece of pipe just enough to get rear wheel out. Once I got it out the cassette fell off - seems that the freewheel body just disintegrated. The axle is still stuck inside the hub. Time for a new rear hub I guess...

29 minutes ago, waveduke said:

I can't believe this - same thing happened with my Scalpel just now.

I was able to push back the axle with a hammer and a piece of pipe just enough to get rear wheel out. Once I got it out the cassette fell off - seems that the freewheel body just disintegrated. The axle is still stuck inside the hub. Time for a new rear hub I guess...

That axle is supposed to stay in the hub, it was designed that way. The management has a slip to put the wheel in and out but your axle should stay in the Hub, if it's the new HG hubs on the Newer model Scalpels. But not the older ones. 

if it's a older one, well yes. haha probably time for a new hub haha..:'(

Edited by Bicycle Yard Zarras WESTERN CAPE
added txt

1 hour ago, Bicycle Yard Zarras WESTERN CAPE said:

That axle is supposed to stay in the hub, it was designed that way. The management has a slip to put the wheel in and out but your axle should stay in the Hub, if it's the new HG hubs on the Newer model Scalpels. But not the older ones. 

if it's a older one, well yes. haha probably time for a new hub haha..:'(

not necessarily. 

its probably jammed on the end cap so if that can be freed the axle should come out as there is plenty of clearance inside the hub for the  axle in the DT 350 HollowGram hub.

Only Scalpel with the Mavic Speed Release is late model 2022 Scalpels