SA National Championships 2023 - Oudtshoorn

bleedToWin

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

De Bod, Hatherly, Reinardt JvR, Pritzen aaaand Munton. Some big hitters for sure! Should make for some very exciting racing. The last 20km probably doesn't suit a solo rider, but a strong breakaway on the last climb could hold off a peloton. 🤷‍♀️ Excited to see how things pan out

54 minutes ago, Spinnekop said:

It is such a pity that our national champs are held in a town so remote that only the 4 locals can go watch it.

The field seems quality.  Will be good racing.

I think they're more concerned about the riders than spectators. At least it's midway point between the Cape and Gautengeleng.

3 minutes ago, BuffsVintageBikes said:

I think they're more concerned about the riders than spectators. At least it's midway point between the Cape and Gautengeleng.

That's the funnies thing I have read on the Hub in a very long time. 
Thanks for the good laugh.

Last year i remember Moneycomb did their own live feed... was better than nothing.

Quality riders, i recon Pritzen is going to be up there.

AH has spoken up SA road champs for a while and he has been in redhot form so will be very lekker to see him throw his name in the hat.

2 hours ago, Spinnekop said:

a town so remote that only the 4 locals can go watch it

Yeah. Look at Aussie Nationals earlier this year and recently Colombian Nationals. Crowds 4 or 5 deep on the climbs... 😢

1 hour ago, Jbr said:

Venter out there alone ? No RdX rider ?

Venter is good mates with #30. Surprised @avatar not in mix too?

2 hours ago, Jbr said:

Venter out there alone ? No RdX rider ?

Won't most of the RdX riders be doing subvets?

5 minutes ago, Skubarra said:

Won't most of the RdX riders be doing subvets?

I see two elites in the crit, two vets in TT and road

50 minutes ago, bleedToWin said:

Yeah. Look at Aussie Nationals earlier this year and recently Colombian Nationals. Crowds 4 or 5 deep on the climbs... 😢

Its South Africa, not Aus and not Columbia so the the support isn't there, doesn't matter the location. 

Same reason why in the middle of no where in Europe ones sleep on Alp du Huez for a week waiting for the stage. No one is sleeping on Chappies 

24 minutes ago, J Wakefield said:

Its South Africa, not Aus and not Columbia so the the support isn't there, doesn't matter the location. 

Same reason why in the middle of no where in Europe ones sleep on Alp du Huez for a week waiting for the stage. No one is sleeping on Chappies 

SA Champs 2019- Pretoria , Impeys attacks up Tom Jenkins on the last lap, crowds were lining the climb and even standing on the stone walls to catch a glimps. Must find the pic somewhere, its awesome.

We never going to get crowds in the middle or now where. But understandable if no other city, region bid on hosting the event. I think there in lies the problem. Take the sport to the people and you will get the support. Look at CTCT and 947, people are keen to watch/support... just make it easy to do so.

Edited by wattnow