Campagnolo very close to the broom wagon

betaboy

I see Campagnolo’s ProcTour presence is down to only one team! This could maybe be the last year we see Campag at top level and finally surrender to the broom wagon. 
I can’t even picture cycling without them? Campagnolo always equalled cycling. I mean back in the day I was sporting my Camp aero bottle and they just had a certain sense of style, and always had amazing innovation. The bike industry is changing and I fear it’s not for the better. When most bike shops in the US are offering 50 % sales to free up over heads cash. I can see Campagnolo’s price point to be a good conversion when many models don’t come spec’d with there equipment.🤔😔

Anyways, just like cork been replaced so it’s that Campag corkscrew.

I can see why, the performance and ergonomics of their groupsets are not on par with the SRAM or Shimano. I went from Super Record to Ultegra and the difference was immediately noticeable. The R20 000 groupset out performed the R80 000 groupset in almost every single way. The Campag wheel technology is also lagging far behind the rest. 

To be fair, any of the top tier groupsets perform perfectly. Anyone telling you Dura Ace is better the Super Record and vice versa etc is just justifying budgets etc. They all shift gears, a very simple concept granted if you running mechanical it needs to be setup properly. I run all 3 brands granted across different types of bikes and they all superb. From GRX, to GX to Super Record they all perform perfectly.

Everything else is personal preference. Campagnolo is like the Italian sports car, there is just something about the design. Campagnolo was also first to the road scene ( between the 3 major players) with the 12 speed groupsets, 13 speed on Gravel groupset and I believe there is a 13 speed road setup coming very soon. Not sure we can say they lagging behind... they will simply remain the niche brand.

10 hours ago, betaboy said:

I see Campagnolo’s ProcTour presence is down to only one team! This could maybe be the last year we see Campag at top level and finally surrender to the broom wagon. 

but also keep in mind, ProTeam's cannot choose what is "best" - They ride with whatever is sponsored.

Lets hope the open spot left by Campag will be filled in a few years with the upcoming Chinese groupset manufacturers. Believe they are close but not 100% ready for pro level yet?

42 minutes ago, wattnow said:

To be fair, any of the top tier groupsets perform perfectly. Anyone telling you Dura Ace is better the Super Record and vice versa etc is just justifying budgets etc. They all shift gears, a very simple concept granted if you running mechanical it needs to be setup properly. I run all 3 brands granted across different types of bikes and they all superb. From GRX, to GX to Super Record they all perform perfectly.

Everything else is personal preference. Campagnolo is like the Italian sports car, there is just something about the design. Campagnolo was also first to the road scene ( between the 3 major players) with the 12 speed groupsets, 13 speed on Gravel groupset and I believe there is a 13 speed road setup coming very soon. Not sure we can say they lagging behind... they will simply remain the niche brand.

I have all 3 groupsets

Sram Red 12s AXS

the New Ultegra 12s di2

and Super Record EPS 12s

while i like certain parts of certain groupsets. (the wireless Sram system and integrated powermeter, The hood design and buttons on Ultegra, the Braking power and gorgeous carbon crank of Campy)

Equallly there are bad points on each. Srams massive hoods and silly brake fluid choice, Ultegras crank scratches far to easily leaving nasty silver underlay rather than a mute carbon of the others , campys finger destroying wiring system and old school thumb lever.

all of them are excellent and no matter which one you ride it will not make a significant difference to your overall performance on the bike.

they all do everything extremely well - its personal preference 

11 hours ago, betaboy said:

I can’t even picture cycling without them? Campagnolo always equalled cycling. I mean back in the day I was sporting my Camp aero bottle and they just had a certain sense of style, and always had amazing innovation. The bike industry is changing and I fear it’s not for the better. When most bike shops in the US are offering 50 % sales to free up over heads cash. I can see Campagnolo’s price point to be a good conversion when many models don’t come spec’d with there equipment.🤔😔

Anyways, just like cork been replaced so it’s that Campag corkscrew.

2022 = cofidis, UAE & AG2R (de rosa, BMC & Colnago)

2023 = AG2R on a BMC only (cofidis=look UAE colnago/shimano)

so is it not a bigger thing that we don't have an italian brand with campy on it?

Wilier, Bianchi, Colnago and Pina all on shimano

a lot of Dura Ace allround really.

https://www.rouleur.cc/blogs/the-rouleur-journal/worldtour-team-bikes-2023-everything-you-need-to-know

This article is now 5 years old, I wonder how the shift to lower tier groupsets is going obviously covid and affects was impossible to predict at time of writing?

https://cyclingtips.com/2017/07/how-campagnolo-plans-to-stay-relevant-in-a-changing-market/

2 hours ago, Furbz said:

I have all 3 groupsets

Sram Red 12s AXS

the New Ultegra 12s di2

and Super Record EPS 12s

while i like certain parts of certain groupsets. (the wireless Sram system and integrated powermeter, The hood design and buttons on Ultegra, the Braking power and gorgeous carbon crank of Campy)

Equallly there are bad points on each. Srams massive hoods and silly brake fluid choice, Ultegras crank scratches far to easily leaving nasty silver underlay rather than a mute carbon of the others , campys finger destroying wiring system and old school thumb lever.

all of them are excellent and no matter which one you ride it will not make a significant difference to your overall performance on the bike.

they all do everything extremely well - its personal preference 

I just love the thumb lever 🙂

4 hours ago, Aurora said:

I can see why, the performance and ergonomics of their groupsets are not on par with the SRAM or Shimano. I went from Super Record to Ultegra and the difference was immediately noticeable. The R20 000 groupset out performed the R80 000 groupset in almost every single way. The Campag wheel technology is also lagging far behind the rest. 

Shooo. bold statements....you should have tried a better mechanic...very few mechanics know campagnolo.🤔

ito Pro tour representation...it's all about the money and sponsorship....the pros have less choice and have to ride what they given (mostly) 

Most of the Italian brands have suffered in comparison to all others...groupsets, wheels and framesets

1 hour ago, madmarc said:

For the safety of Shitmano - I will stay out of this conversation 😁 

Im glad im not the only one that calls it Shitmano😂

50 minutes ago, Madone69 said:

ito Pro tour representation...it's all about the money and sponsorship....the pros have less choice and have to ride what they given (mostly) 

Most of the Italian brands have suffered in comparison to all others...groupsets, wheels and framesets

Surely Campy will move heaven and earth to stay on at least 1 world tour team, They got the 43rd of their TdF victories in only 2021.

https://cycling-passion.com/tour-de-france-winner-groupsets-year-year/

I do wonder how many pro-conti and lower divisions run campy, would think even less by proportion.