[Event] Tour du Cap Road Stage Race

Mamil

Thanks for the messages and well wishes... I'm home and recovering.

Took a bad knock to the elbow, somehow no break (thankfully), needed theatre to clean and close up wound hence being kept overnight. Hands, left knee and shoulder are roasted but should heal quickly.

I never actually saw what happened or who touched wheels, I was pushed into on coming lane before being taken out by the fallen rider in front of me. Not much I could have done to avoid that at 45km/hr. I recon the honeycomb dude was worse off although I don't know his exact condition.

Pretty bleak as a lot of prep went into getting to the start line on Thursday morning only to have race ended after 38mins.

Kudos to organisers to reaching out to follow up on my condition.

All the best with the next 2 days! Be safe ✌️

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

5 minutes ago, babse said:

Thanks for the messages and well wishes... I'm home and recovering.

Glad to hear.
Sorry that you are missing out. Heal up soon and we'll see you at the next one!

24 minutes ago, babse said:

I was pushed into on coming lane before being taken out by the fallen rider in front of me.

I recon the honeycomb dude was worse off although I don't know his exact condition.

My worst nightmare

The honeycomb rider was badly hurt too ? I crashed ON him as he was the first guy down just in front of me, his teammate clipped his front wheel by slotting in ON him...while looking at him.... I don't understand how that's even possible

On 2/24/2023 at 11:46 AM, milky4130 said:

Shoo, barring any incidents I is see it's going to be the Barnabas Purbrook Show again in the 30-39 Category. That Pom single handedly destroyed the SV's a couple of years ago at TOGH.

More like the Wilco show actually 😜

6 hours ago, Jbr said:

More like the Wilco show actually 😜

I see so, Well Done Guys!!! As I said earlier in this thread Barnie never got to race against the  WilcoNator back in 2019 edition 👏 🤙

1 hour ago, milky4130 said:

I see so, Well Done Guys!!! As I said earlier in this thread Barnie never got to race against the  WilcoNator back in 2019 edition 👏 🤙

Shot guys.

After losing time yesterday to the bloke I was nervous for today. Barney looked to be approaching things much more cautiously and conservatively, and I was getting myself ready for a real fight up Du Toit's. Saw him briefly at the base while we were getting ourselves positioned amongst the elites, then never again until 1min42 after I finished. 😁
Glad @Jbrwon the fight for 2nd on the stage. Pity about not making up the time to climb onto the final podium...

7 hours ago, Mamil said:

"Tut tut... Looks like rain" said Christopher Robin

"That's it, I'm riding my gravel bike in stage 4" said pooh.

"Because he's a sensible sort of bear" said piglet.

If only my GC lead was bigger (and I owned a gravel bike)...

52727923206_18b4e76bde_c.jpg.8eb2b7af77c3f03898b4cf1979a3f632.jpg

I missed Barney's first attack (pictured here at the front) while sitting at the back feeling sorry for myself. His next two attacks I was on him like a shadow and countered the last one even. Then he disappeared. @Jbr saw him pulling over with a mechanical (found out afterwards a big gash in his tyre). Man was ready to bring a fight! Pity to DNF on the final day.

Rest of the day was all about staying safe, surviving crosswind gutters and punchy climbs.
Here's me in white enjoying my Sunday morning... 🥴

52728192444_13c4c791af_c.jpg.b696b95e43b79e7fb3cffc6b9f669f4e.jpg

• 2 months later...

So ... I see last year's entrants have a week's window to enter for 2.7k..... what's that meme again? "ooops I accidentally entered another bike race"

How many of the proper rider's who posted here last year are in again? @babseshould possibly be offered a free entry

what's a proper rider ? 😋

bit early for me, but after last years I thought I'm not doing it again, but now 5 days, all during the week... tempting. But I don't see how with racing during the week and the same price the numbers can increase from last year, meaning 5 vets racing, an elite group full of full time pros... so yeah, probably last minute call

3 hours ago, Jbr said:

I don't see how with racing during the week and the same price the numbers can increase from last year

Some might feel the new offering is better so same price means better value for money.
Same week as Cycle Tour vs 10 days before might make it more palatable for upcountry amateurs that planned to do Cycle Tour anyway to travel earlier.

🤞 Haven't entered but think I will do the early bird and hope for better participation numbers!

That’s a bummer. Hard to justify a week of leave to go do a race which barely gets any coverage, on the same week as South Africa’s biggest road race. +paying for more accom and and and… Hmmm