Cost of doing the CTCT

nikki

2 hours ago, DroppedRider said:

This year I never do the CTCT because of costs. Before I could get a return flight for R1300 (what I paid in 2021). Now its like R3K! Bike transport and event fees went up too. As well as accommodation. 

R11K sounds about right. 

Works out to R110 per km of cycling the CTCT.

I vote for sometime to develop a Garmin Connect IQ field that shows costs per Km as you riding. Many travellers will slow down and begin to enjoy the views more than worry about riding as fast as possible 😁

Very interesting line of thought.

Trans Augrabies costs us R57/km, from Cape Town.

But we add extra leave and it is a cycling holiday, not just a mat to mat dash.

2 hours ago, DroppedRider said:

This year I never do the CTCT because of costs. Before I could get a return flight for R1300 (what I paid in 2021). Now its like R3K! Bike transport and event fees went up too. As well as accommodation. 

R11K sounds about right. 

Works out to R110 per km of cycling the CTCT.

I vote for sometime to develop a Garmin Connect IQ field that shows costs per Km as you riding. Many travellers will slow down and begin to enjoy the views more than worry about riding as fast as possible 😁

Not quite ... you have to take the cost over the days you were in CPT .. for me I was in CPT 4 days, in which I had 2 local training rides, expo visit, local bicycles shop, Ciovita visit (yes another bill of R4900 as there was 20% discount on the Friday), visit some old friends, drove around CPT, so overall my trip including the CTCT was R3500 per day.

my father is a member of one of the organising rotary clubs, so gets a nice debrief on their monday meeting.

They were told roughly half the competitors on Sunday were from out of town.

This is not as much as when it was sold out in the 2010s, but an increase on 2022.

I pretty much start budgeting/saving now for next year. I am in the position where I already know now that I am going to enter so no need to um and ahh when entries open and then start thinking about costs. Also gives you time to plan and look for discounts. The Multiply thing helps me a lot. 

4 minutes ago, Long Wheel Base said:

I pretty much start budgeting/saving now for next year. I am in the position where I already know now that I am going to enter so no need to um and ahh when entries open and then start thinking about costs. Also gives you time to plan and look for discounts. The Multiply thing helps me a lot. 

The multiply thing is irritating the crap out of me because I cant seem to find a way of linking my device. maybe its because I'm not a premium member.

3 minutes ago, The Ouzo said:

The multiply thing is irritating the crap out of me because I cant seem to find a way of linking my device. maybe its because I'm not a premium member.

Ah flip sorry bud you sent me a whatsapp about that. Let me check now quickly for you. Sorry I forgot man.

28 minutes ago, Pure Savage said:

Sun cream - R9.50

Bum cream - R3.75 (Single dip_

4 Scoops of Carbofuel - R24

4 Cadence Gels - R110

1x Bar one - R11.50

Entry R750 and R375

Action photo Pic R160

Total R 1443.75

...and most importantly in the right order, sun cream before bum cream

• 2 weeks later...

Before we left SA, we used to drive down fro Jo'burg to ride the "Argus". I can't remember what entry cost 7 years ago, but it was a good 18 hr drive with a couple of quick rest-stops on the way. Several tanks of petrol there and back and a Wimpy at Laingsburg. We were lucky enough to have friends to stay with / ride with in Cape Town and we'd make a week of it, so the trip wasn't just for the bike race.

Happy days, though windy at times! Hope everyone had a safe race this year🙂

7 hours ago, Bonus said:

Before we left SA, we used to drive down fro Jo'burg to ride the "Argus". I can't remember what entry cost 7 years ago, but it was a good 18 hr drive with a couple of quick rest-stops on the way. Several tanks of petrol there and back and a Wimpy at Laingsburg. We were lucky enough to have friends to stay with / ride with in Cape Town and we'd make a week of it, so the trip wasn't just for the bike race.

Happy days, though windy at times! Hope everyone had a safe race this year🙂

I think there in lies the crux of it, make it a holiday and the actual costs become less of an issue. 
would love to be able to get my family down there again. It does however fall into normal school term days for the kids though, so it means them missing school. 

On 3/15/2023 at 10:58 AM, Long Wheel Base said:

100%, planning and budgeting starts now. 

It's a foregone conclusion that we will be going, leave is basically booked, boss and colleagues know where I will be the 2nd weekend of March every year. 

Driving down the Wednesday and back on the Tuesday, taking family with so flights are out fo the question. Stay in an apartment of some sort in Sea point to allow riding to the start and back from the finish. That's been a game changer the last few years as we no longer have to worry about waking up stupid early to get a parking somewhere in sea point.

We make a mini holiday out of it, so it makes the expenses easily digestible.