Really, No Epic 2023 Thread?

BMCfan

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guys are still hungover from World Champs..

I for one am super keen to follow the Epic and looking to go and watch a stage or 2 at the finish line this year. Always such a lekker vibe.

45 minutes ago, BMCfan said:

What's happening in bikeland?

No excitement over a MTB race?

shee good point.

there was relatively little vaaaaib over ironman, but at least there was a thread!

keen to go watch the prologue a bit 

I actually searched for a thread just yesterday... I had a swizz through the start list and the route. Few things I noted...

-There are almost 800 teams. Most ever or was this normal pre COVID? That's quite a few... Man did we enjoy the smaller crowd in Oct '21

-The mens race is going to be lit. I can't see any team dominating from start to finish. There are stage winners in the top15 teams. Is Lochlan in decent shape? I've heard Beers describe Swenson as an "absolute machine". Should be interesting if they click.

-Hermanus, Grabouw and Lourensford to Val de Vie. Race seemed to be planned 100% on logistics. Rout looks average.

-Ladies field looks thin. Race for African jersey may be hot or not.

Should be cool to follow. Good luck those participating and hopefully no extreme weather this time around. 

3 minutes ago, babse said:

I actually searched for a thread just yesterday... I had a swizz through the start list and the route. Few things I noted...

-Hermanus, Grabouw and Lourensford to Val de Vie. Race seemed to be planned 100% on logistics. Rout looks average.

-

I think over the last 4/5 years epic have basically recycled routes, with adding nothing new.

Would be very easy to analyse

Is that necessarily a bad thing?

*If you're a first time rider, who cares?

*if you've done it before, then is it boring or familiar to do sections you might be doing for the third or even fourth time?

*if you're an armchair viewer like myself, is your opinion even relevant?

9 minutes ago, Mongoose! said:

my back hurts just looking at this 😐

its a beaut 

saddle to bar drop doesn't look that extremeif you consider he's riding a frame size smaller than the manufacturer intended

1 minute ago, DieselnDust said:

its a beaut 

saddle to bar drop doesn't look that extremeif you consider he's riding a frame size smaller than the manufacturer intended

they not scared to get bum up chin down

Speed Company Racing is already riding the Orbea Oiz 2023 that they will  use in the next Cape Epic

Also excited to watch epic. Live the dream through others who's there while I work.

Lekker to have Beers among the front guys and not just international riders mostly dominating the podiums. Looking forward to follow the live feed during the week. (Sorry bossman) Hopefully the big boys and girls treat us with an exciting race like last year.

Gonna have a sore bum from all the cycling this weekend...from sitting on the couch and watching. MSR tomorrow and epic sunday. Trappit boeties!

What has happened to the depth in the ladies' field?

I am not scared to say that equal prize money does very little for developing sport long term, here it seem apparent.

Gunn-Rita Dahle rode in 2015, I seem to remember her being quite vocal about the racing need it's own start to improve the racing quality. I think it happened the next year. 

since then, has it got better? maybe, has it attracted the top riders, definitely not.

Just looking at the startlist,

UCI men is 59 teams, racing for prizemoney per stage/GC down to 10th place

UCI women is 13 teams, racing for prizemoney per stage/GC down to 10th place

I don't think this has changed things.

Will we have live broadcasts during the whole week? DSTV (ad ridden I assume) or via web? 

Edited by pedal menace