Really, No Epic 2023 Thread?

BMCfan

image.png.53e8047eed7d9de4eabf9e4a100f4736.png

not sure what the 2023 entry fee was, but the early bird slots have filled up already at ZAR110k (or ~ZAR140k currently for the overseas riders)

say it's 100 teams, that's a nice 10bar+ in the bank (to pay the service providers for last week's work!)

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

27 minutes ago, Headshot said:

I am still waiting for a sponsor to back me to finish on my steel 26er HT. 

As far as Hype and the coverage is concerned, there was a major lacuna. No stories from the middle to rear of the field. No shots of CEO's covered in mud pushing their bikes, wondering why they ever thought getting an employer paid entry was half the battle etc... I guess there are also  many riders who pay their own way and suffer badly at the back but we never see them on TV. Poor show I reckon.

pretty sure there's an long story behind this one. photo credit Jeff Ayliffe from stage 6

May be an image of bicycle and outdoors

https://www.facebook.com/jeff.ayliffe/posts/pfbid035P32PEhHSSZLDLV1tvuGBS8WDmAC3SPkWKf6xt46mCi5JtJ2yN3QjD6SWJi3E3KYl

Edited by Shebeen

It does seem to me that the Epic is impacted by roaming tummy issues and spuitpoep way more than any other event.

Wonder why that is?

Possibly because it's in the height of summer in SA and everything spoils in this heat?

In their defense, almost everyone in my family was down with that tummy bug in Feb, it was brutal. It just takes one person to arrive their with the bug and boom, it's a shitshow.

1 hour ago, Headshot said:

I am still waiting for a sponsor to back me to finish on my steel 26er HT. 

As far as Hype and the coverage is concerned, there was a major lacuna. No stories from the middle to rear of the field. No shots of CEO's covered in mud pushing their bikes, wondering why they ever thought getting an employer paid entry was half the battle etc... I guess there are also  many riders who pay their own way and suffer badly at the back but we never see them on TV. Poor show I reckon.

It was an eye opener being on a WA group with "mid-fielders" .... okay, they consistently came in top 40% of the overall.  Still only managed 3 seconds on tv, as he happened to be at the lead of a pack at the right moment.

Getting their photos, and supporters videos, their race debrief at night.  Their pics with the champs in the Epic tents .....

I fully understand the economics of only shooting the top riders. But would love to see 1 or 2 minutes per day of these riders.

1 hour ago, Carmichael said:

John, do you think that is the main reason for the stomach issues at epic? I am very keen to find out, i had the stomach "bug" last year and had to suffer the last 2 days with it. Then for net year will do the carb intake differently and prep my gut.

1 hour ago, Headshot said:

That said, I think that a genuine ie bacterial or viral flu bug will manifest in a  different way, eg with additional symptoms like fever? A runny gut on its own without major performance issues would probably be what you describe?

I don't think it is the main reason I believe it's a combination of a few factors and this being one of them and a very strong contributing factor.

I also believe a bacterial variant is a contributor but that typically won't allow you to ride 8 days with the ****s. if anyone has had real proper stomach flu you not doing **** wena untamed as much as you like to think and tell people you hardcore if a strong bout has hit you.

I will finish off and say from a hygienic environment the epic rates up there as some of the worst I have seen overall. Health history shows this throughout the event. 

1 hour ago, Shebeen said:

pretty sure there's an long story behind this one. photo credit Jeff Ayliffe from stage 6

May be an image of bicycle and outdoors

https://www.facebook.com/jeff.ayliffe/posts/pfbid035P32PEhHSSZLDLV1tvuGBS8WDmAC3SPkWKf6xt46mCi5JtJ2yN3QjD6SWJi3E3KYl

There was a pair of singlespeed entrants - One from Panama, one from Germany. I think the Panamanian finished, but not the German, but i am too lazy to check. This must be one of them - not an on-course emergency conversion, for sure, that's a dedicated SS setup.

Edited by Tim Brink

20 hours ago, Fauret said:

If someone were to seriously injure themselves on the now unrideable trail, in the woods, with all this mud and water rushing everywhere, a medic will have a very slim chance of reaching him and provide emergency medical attention.

Thats why its called the Epic ......

2 hours ago, J Wakefield said:

There many reason for a stomach bug or having the ****s but a common and simple reason is over consumption of carbohydrates. If riders are suing on average without knowing 60g/ph before epic and now comes epic and they doing 100g/ph on the bike then pasta party vibes after. You will be aiming through a needle by 2 and 3 onwards if you gut is not used it 

This is very true, also the form of food is a big thing. High carb drinks and gu gels are not sustainable. 

2 hours ago, Carmichael said:

John, do you think that is the main reason for the stomach issues at epic? I am very keen to find out, i had the stomach "bug" last year and had to suffer the last 2 days with it. Then for net year will do the carb intake differently and prep my gut.

How long after Epic did it take for your stomach bug to settle? I caught a proper stomach bug in Lesotho at an event last year. It took 3 courses of antibiotics and nearly 2 months before I could trust a fart...

1 hour ago, Ozzie NL said:

It does seem to me that the Epic is impacted by roaming tummy issues and spuitpoep way more than any other event.

Wonder why that is?

carbohydrates, specifically eating carbs your body is not used too or too much carbs

Okes eat so badly. Some have this idea that beer is a good recovery drink after stuffing your body up for 110km. over eat on the bike, then have a heavy dinner, repeat the next day,  and repeat.By day 4 /5 your gut says FU Tjina I need a break and there's a rapid evacuation.

Fructose intolerance is a real thing

where's the registered dieticians when you need them...?

Maybe another factor ( not withstanding a bacterial stomach bug that was doing the rounds according the pharmacist and a doctor I visited in Somerset West), was that the finish line food quality was shocking to say the least.  No more Woolies. Cost cutting ? Not sure what the dinners for the campers was like but if same caterers it couldn't have been good. I was lucky enough to be hosted by ABSA ,which was world class, and stay in hotels'. Huge respect for anybody that camped in the mud and ate that food, and still finished.

1 hour ago, Shane S said:

Thats why its called the Epic ......

giphy.gif

Edited by 'Dale

3 hours ago, Headshot said:

That said, I think that a genuine ie bacterial or viral flu bug will manifest in a  different way, eg with additional symptoms like fever? A runny gut on its own without major performance issues would probably be what you describe?

A few times I've caught a stomach bug in a new geo location and I've suspected it's not being accustomed to the water.