Is the 2nd hand market dead?

Jacko18

29 minutes ago, Edrich1234 said:

Got a offer from Bike market this afternoon. A full carbon bike with good components - 22k. How does this work? 2 weeks ago they offered me 24500 now 22k?

They are testing you .... many sellers get desperate after a few weeks ....

Reply stating you are in no hurry to sell, if they really want your bike your price is "x" ....

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

22 minutes ago, ChrisF said:

They are testing you .... many sellers get desperate after a few weeks ....

Reply stating you are in no hurry to sell, if they really want your bike your price is "x" ....

Yes, that is a nice point!

4 minutes ago, RobertWhitehead said:

Screenshot_20230514_180039_Brave.jpg.f7b516d84ef297f8f3528b622434135f.jpg

Maybe when re-listing your bike you should delete the old listing

Don't understand what your trying to say?

20 minutes ago, Edrich1234 said:

Don't understand what your trying to say?

You got multiple offers because you have multiple listings. You listed the Bianchi 3 weeks ago, they then made an offer on that ad. You then listed the same bike 4 days ago and another member on their team saw the bike and made an offer. Bicycles don't have a little book like what you have in cars therefore if theirs no database or Kanban board to keep track of all the offers they make then they're bound to offer two different prices for the same bike. 

1 hour ago, Edrich1234 said:

Got a offer from Bike market this afternoon. A full carbon bike with good components - 22k. How does this work? 2 weeks ago they offered me 24500 now 22k?

Accept R16k? 

Edited by Theunissa

1 hour ago, Edrich1234 said:

You Should Accept the Offer for R24500 it Was a generous Offer.

On 5/13/2023 at 4:29 PM, MORNE said:

Imo they should tread carefully…they are getting a rep. They should acknowledge a good deal when they see it and get it and THEN sell it for what they want…not undercut a 50% discount by another 30-40% lol. I guess they can do what they want though….and desperate ppl will still sell their bikes when cold hard cash is flaunted under their noses. Bit I have an opinion about BM’s methods and ethics and it is all on them…not me.the thing is…if you know you know…and you now know everything on their site was acquired at 30-40% under the listed price. So why pay what they want? Thats why they also do the ‘make an offer’ thing. If you offer them 20% under they are still in the green.

Disagree with this comment. When buying a bike you should have a good idea what the rig is worth and what you are willing to pay. If BM meets those thresholds all should be happy to proceed regardless of what BM paid for the bike.

Edited by Ozzie NL

On 5/13/2023 at 7:29 PM, dasilvarsa said:

The Second Hand Formal Dealers have to have a margin of 40-45% (66-80% markup) in order to pay for Premises, Staff, Interest on Loans, Transport Costs and to make a little profit in the end.

The Home Based Small Dealer does not have these Overhead Costs and can pay more for your bike.

Not a tax expert, but doesn't VAT come into it eventually on their markup? Scope for some book cooking if that's the case.

On 5/13/2023 at 1:04 PM, MrJacques said:

Some brands offer a warranty transfer to subsequent owners, but often with a reduced time. It doesn't really make sense to me, if you offer a warranty on a product does it really matter if it's not the original owner?

https://www.mtbr.com/threads/trek-y-lifetime-warranty.844099/

this is a classic. claim on a super outdated bikes lifetime warranty

On 5/12/2023 at 4:38 PM, MORNE said:

Still building it….see post above lol. 
but saw a frame at the @droo’s and (see second to last post above) instant gratification called🤣

but my reasons are sound (i tell myself). I mean N+1 and all, but also…most of tygerberg is pretty boring on a 160mm shredsled. So a trail hardtail firs the bill perfectly.

I support all the reasoning in this post.

Also, when do we get the pictures?

On 5/13/2023 at 1:10 PM, ChrisF said:

Nobody will offer "lifetime" warranties if they had to transfer it to the next owner ....  They only offer this because so few people actually keep a bike for a "longer" periods.

At least TITAN RACING gives a decent 5-year warranty, including the owner ..... correct paper trail is important though.

When a new bike is bought from a dealer the 1st owner is effectively paying a portion towards the warrantee.  Numerous people get paid from the sale of a brand new bike. You can track that all the way back to the person in the factory cleaning the floor. 

When someone sells a 2nd hand bike to Joe Public no one else gets a cut of that, only the seller. 

No brand gets anything from the sale of 2nd hand bikes, besides warrantee claims.

So why should Joe Public, buying at a heavy reduced price, get the benefit of having a warrantee and expect some sort of remedy/replacement from the bicycle brand if/when something goes wrong on said discounted, used bike when he's not paying for it? 

When thinking, "should I buy new or 2nd hand?" the first "con" of buying 2nd hand is always the warrantee, no matter what you're buying (besides cars for some reason).

57 minutes ago, droo said:

I support all the reasoning in this post.

Also, when do we get the pictures?

I finished it yesterday afternoon and took it for a quick ride and i’m afraid I made a terrible mistake….

My full squish bike might not get used a lot now haha.

The Paradox is SO good

On 5/13/2023 at 2:33 PM, LazyTrailRider said:

An easy statement to make at the R15k level, not so easy at R150k…

I think it is easy...its still a toy.

18 hours ago, Edrich1234 said:

TVM