[Event] Jar from Dirt Gravel Ride

Pedal Power Association

On 6/29/2023 at 10:53 AM, Pedal Power Association said:

Pedal through breath-taking landscapes that have witnessed both tragedy and resilience, feel the adrenaline as you follow in Shackleton’s footsteps conquering the Stettyn Mountains which is testament to the indomitable human spirit and a celebration of the enduring stories that shape our lives. Write your own legendary tale along this extraordinary gravel cycling route.

wait, are they confusing Sir Ernie's hike over South Georgia with a crash in the mountains by a plane that carries his name?

he was in Cape town, but doubt he would have gone hiking there as there would have been no convenient access to valley

Edited by Shebeen

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Who’s all doing this ride? I’m still deciding whether or not to enter this.

Also, why is the start time 8am? I know this was the planned start time back in September when it was cold and dark, but it’s december now. Surely this could have started earlier with the heat?

38 minutes ago, Bub Marley said:

Who’s all doing this ride? I’m still deciding whether or not to enter this.

Also, why is the start time 8am? I know this was the planned start time back in September when it was cold and dark, but it’s december now. Surely this could have started earlier with the heat?

Also on the fence

given the complete lack of noise I’m half expecting a cancellation notice any day now, but we’ll see…

Edited by MongooseMan

13 hours ago, bleedToWin said:

Everyone focused on DC maybe?

Yeah, I'm waiting to feel my legs on Monday before entering 🙈😂

20 minutes ago, MongooseMan said:

Yeah, I'm waiting to feel my legs on Monday before entering 🙈😂

Mine will also be a last last minute call. 

Anyone know when entries close? No mention on website. 

Well, I’ve entered for this.

Hopefully it doesn’t get cancelled as there’s been next to nothing in terms of marketing this event.

1 hour ago, white tiger said:

Entered for the 120 km.

They are predicting a mild 24 degrees for Saturday and wind looks okay 🙂

Fantastic.

Only 15 starters for the 120km race which was disappointing. The route itself was fantastic. Not sure what the plan is for next year but if we can start an hour earlier if it’s in December again that would be great. That last hour in the sun was excruciating. Fantastic event though and fantastic location. Hopefully better support next year if it sticks around. 

Also the goody bag was much better than most other races and probably the most unique medal as well. 

Edited by Bub Marley

Actually 17 starters that I know of but lets assume it was 20 and the rest the number boards never registered, still a poor turnout. I think the main reason could be the postponement in September many opted for the refund option, glad I chose to carry over my entry. 

Agree excellent route, well organized, great venue, food & drinks, I hope to see the numbers more than double in 2024. The event has great potential especially since the boom of gravel bikes. I think 8am start was reasonable given the 90min travel from Cape Town we can just be lucky that it was not a blistering hot day on Saturday, but maybe 7am is better. Hope to be back next year whichever time of the year they host it on.

Edited by milky4130

Did the 120 km race.

Lovely race and day all round. Well organized, lovely venue for the start and finish.

The route was well marked with beautiful scenery. I also think a slightly earlier start might be nice considering the heat. I stay at the campsite for the Friday evening, which worked very nicely. It had nice shower and toilet facilities overlooking a huge dam.

Can highly recommend it.

11 hours ago, milky4130 said:

Actually 17 starters that I know of but lets assume it was 20 and the rest the number boards never registered, still a poor turnout. I think the main reason could be the postponement in September many opted for the refund option, glad I chose to carry over my entry. 

Agree excellent route, well organized, great venue, food & drinks, I hope to see the numbers more than double in 2024. The event has great potential especially since the boom of gravel bikes. I think 8am start was reasonable given the 90min travel from Cape Town we can just be lucky that it was not a blistering hot day on Saturday, but maybe 7am is better. Hope to be back next year whichever time of the year they host it on.

I think having the event in September/October is better as then we can keep the 8am start. i also feel like people are more likely to attend during that time. I think December after the DC, a lot of people are starting to take it easy ke dezember and what not. Just my thoughts. 

11 hours ago, milky4130 said:

Yeah I was keen initially to organise a weekend away that side as last time I drove back from Worcester by that road I was blown away by the views by the Stettyn farm, but I had a school concert that morning, I think the closer to december you get, the more people have family commitments