Pre-race drink

I have read a few articles on stage races such as Joberg2C and The Epic and noticed that you should have a pre-race drink for breakfast. What is a pre-race drink ? I'm assuming a high carb shake from Evox or USN etc.

2 minutes ago, The Ouzo said:

image.jpeg.25fb407877d8824a37212c40341caad4.jpeg

I was going to suggest a light and fruity pilsner - it goes nicely with most savoury breakfasts and some porridges. 

1 hour ago, Phạm Tô said:

I have read a few articles on stage races such as Joberg2C and The Epic and noticed that you should have a pre-race drink for breakfast. What is a pre-race drink ? I'm assuming a high carb shake from Evox or USN etc.

Standard disclaimer: My humble opinion is based on my experience.

My approach is simple. What I drink when training is what I drink before a race and during a race.  With that said I have used a lot of products as I like to switch things up and not use the same product for too long. I have used Biogen Cytogen and Carbogen, USN Cyto power, Maurten, Powerbar, and Sugar water (with an electrolyte tab and lemon juice).

In as much as a prerace drink is beneficial, I think your actual breakfast is more important as sports drinks are typically high on the GI index whereas single-ingredient foods are normally low. So I eat a huge breakfast 2-3 hours before a race and dispose of the waste thoroughly before starting the race.

But if The Ouzo's approach appeals to you, I would highly recommend the following, especially in this cold weather.

Picture of Sedgwicks Old Brown Sherry Bottle 2l

Edited by Ncayi

3 hours ago, splat said:

I was going to suggest a light and fruity pilsner - it goes nicely with most savoury breakfasts and some porridges. 

agreed. nothing worse and an imperial stout with my oats

3 minutes ago, lechatnoir said:

agreed. nothing worse and an imperial stout with my oats

agreed, but when the gradients go double digits so must the ABV