Year model is important folks!!

440MTB

3 hours ago, Ozzie NL said:

I was answering a question, not trying to piss over your battery

Huh?

I am in no way being aggressive or emotionally reactive. I was making a joke about 'Specifying your Drive train and Frame'......

The ads in question have things like SCRAM instead of SRAM and miss spell the brand of the bike despite it being written on the frame.

hahahahaha I thought that was pretty funny

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On 8/29/2023 at 11:55 AM, Titan Racing Bikes said:

Not sure if it's been said, but most people are more familiar with car model years and how that gets used. 

Santa Cruz only updated their frames every 3-5 years depending on the model, even the colors stay largely the same year-on-year the last time we checked.

https://www.santacruzbicycles.com/en-WW/product-support

I wish more manufacturers would do the small amount of homework to keep their archive on older models up to date. 

Never take anything at face value especially in the buy and sell space...check everything - it's so easy these days. Sometimes the year model is important because the frame geo has changed significantly but often its just component spec . Be clever people.

On 8/25/2023 at 6:06 PM, Dicky DQ said:

Strange, I think this is a bit of a strange way to look at a bike. What the hell does the year matter? I did the 361 this year and got 830km out of a brand new drive train, What good is the year model now?

You are talking about the frame year model. Erm this is the thing that gets the least wear and tear. I would be more interested in the state of the drive train and the fork and shock. To be honest a bike is the sum of its parts. The age of the frame is of no consequence at all.

Donder the mind boggels....

Hey you've done the 361 so we bow to your superior knowledge. Thanks 🙂 

1 hour ago, Headshot said:

Hey you've done the 361 so we bow to your superior knowledge. Thanks 🙂 

He has a valid good point.
The year model can be 2023 with ONE race and the bike can be $)(%$ed.

or

The bike could be 10 years old and brand new.

With regards to year models on bikes........its all BS.  
Even Cannondale as a company have stopped using it as a reference in a way.  You have models.
Evo1, Evo2, Evo3 etc.

Most manufacturers have a 4y product cycle on frames.  Thus my 2020 scalpel is the same frame as the current 2023 frame.
You as a consumer wanting to buy a product have to educate yourself and find out if the bike you are buying is from a certain product cycle.
Year models are confusing and mostly refers to the car market.

My useless 2c without having done 361

Edited by Spinnekop

On 8/25/2023 at 6:06 PM, Dicky DQ said:

Strange, I think this is a bit of a strange way to look at a bike. What the hell does the year matter? I did the 361 this year and got 830km out of a brand new drive train, What good is the year model now?

You are talking about the frame year model. Erm this is the thing that gets the least wear and tear. I would be more interested in the state of the drive train and the fork and shock. To be honest a bike is the sum of its parts. The age of the frame is of no consequence at all.

Donder the mind boggels....

A Drive Train that only lasted 830 Km Was Abused. 

On 8/29/2023 at 2:22 PM, Hilton. said:

Cycle-lab are selling both the MY23 and MY22 Orbea Oiz dual-sus MTBs. They look sooo similar, it's really hard to tell them apart. You gotta look closely at the swing link for the rear shock. Almost all customers wouldn't be able to tell the difference.

On the website, they have the Model Year clearly displayed, but on their ongoing Sale brochure, they definitely don't show the year. And on the showroom floor, I bet it's up to the savvy customer to ask.

Geometry for the new FY23 is significantly different (read Better) than the previous year, with travel now defaulting to 120mm and head- and seat-tube angles much slacker. Which will help all MTBers handle rougher trails with more confidence.

2022:

spacer.png

2023:

spacer.png 

Easiest way is the new one has the same horrible cable routing as Scott. Who sat down and thought that was a good idea 🤦🏻