Bike washing theory

Murrob

So, for the last few services on my bike, I could never understand why the dust seals on my fork and in particular the shock are not lasting. I hear when a 50 hour service is near as the rear shock would start to squeak and Fox refer to much longer service intervals as well that just don’t seem to happen in SA. Now before everyone runs off in the direction of my bike shop fleecing me I inspect the seal myself and there is no doubt that they are toast. 

So I started thinking about potential external contaminates, also as I understand the fact that the rear shock is inverted also plays a role in the seals getting dry. I have been a fan of stantion lubes and have always been meticulous in terms of cleaning and lubing. But still had issues, so I have been conducting a bit of empirical research. I have recently been only washing my bike with Mucoff and using the products as directed. Whereas before I had been washing with Shield Extreme car wash soap. It looks like it was the car wash soap that was causing the problems as we are well into the latest block without any squeak or dry seals. So use it, don’t use it, but I am pretty convinced that car wash soap, in particular it seems Shield X-treme car does not agree with seals on forks and shocks. IMG_0600.jpeg.d59fc531d1ab5ff230418ceeb72a48a6.jpeg

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, Murrob said:

So, for the last few services on my bike, I could never understand why the dust seals on my fork and in particular the shock are not lasting. I hear when a 50 hour service is near as the rear shock would start to squeak and Fox refer to much longer service intervals as well that just don’t seem to happen in SA. Now before everyone runs off in the direction of my bike shop fleecing me I inspect the seal myself and there is no doubt that they are toast. 

So I started thinking about potential external contaminates, also as I understand the fact that the rear shock is inverted also plays a role in the seals getting dry. I have been a fan of stantion lubes and have always been meticulous in terms of cleaning and lubing. But still had issues, so I have been conducting a bit of empirical research. I have recently been only washing my bike with Mucoff and using the products as directed. Whereas before I had been washing with Shield Extreme car wash soap. It looks like it was the car wash soap that was causing the problems as we are well into the latest block without any squeak or dry seals. So use it, don’t use it, but I am pretty convinced that car wash soap, in particular it seems Shield X-treme car does not agree with seals on forks and shocks. IMG_0600.jpeg.d59fc531d1ab5ff230418ceeb72a48a6.jpeg

Of all the nonsense muc off sells their soft bristle brush and bike wash are probably their two best products. Their bike protect spray is good too but don’t get it on your discs. 

Good to know about the car wash soap. I have a bottle in the garage and have often wondered if it’s safe but never tried it. 

Just to clarify, are you talking about the external rubber seal (usually black) or the internal (white/cream coloured) fabric/ foam type seal?

Influencers !!!!!

Maybe His Wife Put Acid in the Car Wash Bottle 😂

Car Wash in it's Original Form is safe on your Hands, Your Car and Your Bike.

Don't listen to this Nonsense.

Edited by dasilvarsa

I can buy that that specific brand may cause some issues but definitely not all car wash shampoos. Just think about the queue of unhappy customers lining up at every single car wash in the country if that was the case. I have been using car shampoo on my own and other bikes for close to 10 years without any issues. 

I've been using blixem degreaser on my whole bike for years but it tend to give the gloss paint job a dull finish, so now only using it on the drivetrain.

Switched to Shield car wash for the rest of the bike with no issues

also use RSP hyper wiper after each wash and no issues.

Sometimes i use the foam cannon with some snowfoam if the bike is dirty and busy washing the cars..... no hassles.

I clean using paraffin and a chain cleaner tool, i also use a paint brush and go over all the oily bits.

I then use diluted clean green to do the rest of the bike and wash the paraffin off.

a quick spray down and set in the sun to dry and i'm done

After each ride I wipe down/check suspension seals and chain. Chain will be lubed if clean enough. Seals will be wiped with a rag and/or a spritz of bike polish or wet lube with another pass of the rag. Less than a couple minutes. 

For a normal regular bike wash/rinse. I use a diluted spray bottle of bike wash, whatever brand.
Mud buster, Red Hot, Eco logic, Muc Off etc etc… they are all much of a muchness at the end of the day.

If the bike is particularly muddy/dirty, I’ll use a bucket and brush as well with a drop of car wash. Been using shield with no issues for years. 
Bike gets rinsed, with a pressure washer, the horrors I know. The nonsense about bearings etc is only if you don’t use it properly. Keep it at arms length (approx 1m) and you’re fine, actually carries less pressure than a garden hose at the same distance and uses far less water. Quick wipe down with a towel, leave to dry, lube chain, seals and occasionally apply a bike polish. 

Drivetrain degreasing is done with an undiluted bike wash and brush, lightly rinsed before continuing with either of the above.

Neither of these together take more than 40 minutes, 15/20 on average. 

Edited by Danger Dassie

I use a heavily diluted mix of Clean Green and water. Maybe like 50ml clean green to 500ml water. Still strong enough to degrease te chain and grime but soft enough on the paint and seals. So far everything has been fine for around a year. Clean Green concentrate is around R89 a bottle and lasts a really long time. I used to use Blixem but found it too harsh.  

I first wet the bike then spray a product called Sprite over the entire bike and while it soaks the dirt off use Prepsol to clean the chain .

After a few minutes a gentle spray of water and the bike is clean and only then due I wash it with Shield car wash .

Once dry I spray Castrol DWF fluid on the chain and into bearings/pivot points to remove any water and provide a light lube .

Then I spray Mucoff bike polish onto the frame and Sheen onto the wall of the mtb tyres to stop them perishing and it reduces the chances of side wall cuts . Stops mud sticking to tyre walls in bad conditions .

Lastly spray a little Brunox shock cleaner in to the front and rear shocks and compress then wipe off dirt .

Do the same to my road bike except for the Sheen on the tyre walls .

Never have a problem with squeaks and my bearings and chains last longer .

If my mountain bikes are only dusty I do not wash after every ride same as my road bike .

Bikes looks like new !

While enjoying a beer or coffee .

4 hours ago, robbybzgo said:

Just to clarify, are you talking about the external rubber seal (usually black) or the internal (white/cream coloured) fabric/ foam type seal?

External rubber seals are the ones I’m having issues with. 

After trying many, many options over 15 years, from paraffin through to larny options, and having lost some paint etc in the process; I find Namgear Chain Cleaner to be the best. It gets the gunk off you chain, but if some does go onto the rest of your bike and brake disks etc, it does impact them. It is also relatively inexpensive if you buy the 5lt refill.

I have used that Shield car shampoo on the rest of the bike and it seems fine. i have not noticed any issues with bearings or seals.

30 minutes ago, Shane S said:

I first wet the bike then spray a product called Sprite over the entire bike and while it soaks the dirt off use Prepsol to clean the chain .

After a few minutes a gentle spray of water and the bike is clean and only then due I wash it with Shield car wash .

Once dry I spray Castrol DWF fluid on the chain and into bearings/pivot points to remove any water and provide a light lube .

Then I spray Mucoff bike polish onto the frame and Sheen onto the wall of the mtb tyres to stop them perishing and it reduces the chances of side wall cuts . Stops mud sticking to tyre walls in bad conditions .

Lastly spray a little Brunox shock cleaner in to the front and rear shocks and compress then wipe off dirt .

Do the same to my road bike except for the Sheen on the tyre walls .

Never have a problem with squeaks and my bearings and chains last longer .

If my mountain bikes are only dusty I do not wash after every ride same as my road bike .

Bikes looks like new !

While enjoying a beer or coffee .

Yes Eco Logic all the way have used it for may years with no issues. And Sheeld Sheen chery  for restoring faded/ dullness in the plastic and black bits. 

3 minutes ago, Barry said:

Yes Eco Logic all the way have used it for may years with no issues. And Sheeld Sheen chery  for restoring faded/ dullness in the plastic and black bits. 

I also used Ecologic, but I think the concentration was too much as it seemed to impact the paint on a Fox fork on my Giant Anthem years ago, making it dull. I still use it for other jobs and it work great for getting stains out of clothes and degreasing. 

Spray a little Brunox on the actual external seals as well or use the Sheen it keeps it them from cracking or drying up . The Sprite is an excellent cleaner because its not harsh and does not dry out or dull any of the bike components etc. .

I even spray a little DWF on the cap screws etc. keeps them looking new and no rust can start .

Wash my mx bike and superbike in the same manner and no dull paint or streaks .