[Event] Attakwas Extreme

Dryland Events

8 minutes ago, buckstopper said:

First of all, Kudos to those brave enough to submit themselves to this torture. (Or maybe, as jy dom is, moet jy suffer). I doubt Garmin would make an instrument super inaccurate. I reckon the readings have more to do with the sun's reflection on the surface of the gauge, which may affect the relevant ic on the pc board.

I know a nerdy someone in Garmin Olathe, have sent him the pic of the above gauge reading of 51.4°C and asked him about the gauge's accuracy...

Garmin temperature readings are influenced by various factors, with the most significant being the proximity of the temperature sensor to the device’s battery. Batteries, when operational, tend to heat up, thus potentially leading to a bias in displaying higher temperatures than the actual ambient temperature. Garmin periodically releases updates to enhance the calibration of their sensors by offsetting internal variables. However, it’s important to recognise that their primary focus is not on providing weather accuracy within a specific range, as the main function of a cycling computer is not akin to that of dedicated weather devices.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, Dappere said:

Garmin temperature readings are influenced by various factors, with the most significant being the proximity of the temperature sensor to the device’s battery. Batteries, when operational, tend to heat up, thus potentially leading to a bias in displaying higher temperatures than the actual ambient temperature. Garmin periodically releases updates to enhance the calibration of their sensors by offsetting internal variables. However, it’s important to recognise that their primary focus is not on providing weather accuracy within a specific range, as the main function of a cycling computer is not akin to that of dedicated weather devices.

Absolutely, and our 'experienced temperature' in full sun would be higher than that recorded in the nearest weather station. Whatever, if you're exposed to temps like this for long enough, don't expect a long healthspan

22 hours ago, Shebeen said:

Sounds proper hot, no fun. 

Wonder wear the actual peak high was.  Don't believe a measurement of 51 as actual temperature though, that's a Garmin sitting in the sun. 

all I know is that it was *** hot.

water (with ice) in my water bottles took about 15min to go from cool to baby bath water warm

36 minutes ago, buckstopper said:

First of all, Kudos to those brave enough to submit themselves to this torture. (Or maybe, as jy dom is, moet jy suffer). I doubt Garmin would make an instrument super inaccurate. I reckon the readings have more to do with the sun's reflection on the surface of the gauge, which may affect the relevant ic on the pc board.

I know a nerdy someone in Garmin Olathe, have sent him the pic of the above gauge reading of 51.4°C and asked him about the gauge's accuracy...

It would be interesting to get some real technical feedback on this topic.

Many of us have seen the "temperature spike" when our bikes stand in the sun at the coffee stop....  sun directly onto the unit certainly has an impact, even more so when stationary.

While riding the effect can also be seen, to some extent.  Nice ride with the sund directly onto the screen and the temp climb and settles on a value ..... the road turns and your body casts a shadow over the screen ..... slowly the temp starts dropping.    Saturday I saw this once again between the Strawberry farm and Kuilsriver, then Brackenfell.  With the sun on the screen the temp peaked at 40 degrees, on longer sections with my body casting a shadow over the screen the temp dropped to 36 degrees, which is much more in line with the weather data for the data.  Similar observations on other rides have also indicated about a 4 degree difference between actual and "sun-on-the-screen" temperature readings.

Then again, there is a LOT more to this topic !!

Riding with the wind your body quickly overheats.  Pockets of dry hot air tends to cook me !

All data aside ..... RESPECT to the Attakwas riders !!!

12 minutes ago, fanievb said:

all I know is that it was *** hot.

water (with ice) in my water bottles took about 15min to go from cool to baby bath water warm

Probably the best reason for using a Camelback.  It tends to keep its temperature longer.

That luke warm water (or juice) from the bottle really takes some effort to swallow ....

During a December ride I added ice to my bottle outside Paarl .... took about 25km before it was luke warm again.

hahahaha the internet..... 'Look how hot it was!'

'Nah, it wasn't that hot'

'Maybe not, but it was really hot'

'Not that hot, here is proof it wasn't that hot'

'Yes, but it was really hot'

'The instrument used to measure the heat is not accurate' 

'Yes, but it was REALLY hot'

'I am not convinced it was even 75% as hot as you claim'

Everyone who was there 'It was REALLY hot'

........ goes on for eternity

Normal conversation..... 'My word it was hot! My device measured 51' at one point and LOOK at my ugly tan lines!'

'Goodness me those are some sexy tan lines. You will likely need some aftersun soother and some rehydrate'

'Yeah man, that was tough'

'I can imagine!'

Remember weather stations are placed in Stevenson screens. Stevenson screens standardize the environment for the various sensors. This is a well over a hundred year old world wide standard. So your Garmin with sun from above and heat from the road below is not accurate. It never will be, sorry to burst bubbles. And your watch is even more of a joke in terms of temperature.

1 minute ago, buckstopper said:

Still, as a wise man once said, 'It's better to burn out, than to fade away, hey hey, my my'

Thats it !!

Enter the pearly gates sliding side ways, shouting: "What a ride!"

5 minutes ago, dave303e said:

Remember weather stations are placed in Stevenson screens. Stevenson screens standardize the environment for the various sensors. This is a well over a hundred year old world wide standard. So your Garmin with sun from above and heat from the road below is not accurate. It never will be, sorry to burst bubbles. And your watch is even more of a joke in terms of temperature.

Surely those in the white coats have done research on this .....

There must be some research showing typical deviations between actual and Garmin temperatures.  If only for academic purposes .....

Out there, hot is HOT ...

While the actual temperature might not be that high, the real feel will be. When you are outside for hours on end with the sun baking you it all adds up. It probably felt close to 50degrees so all credit to those who braved the heat.

Congrats to all those who finished the race in those conditions. This race would be tough on a perfect day, add in the weather and you have an extreme event. Kudos galore 🤙

Up in the mountains it was absolutely brutal. The heat was coming from everywhere. It felt like I was being cooked in an oven from the bottom and the top!

Edited by Rudi Pollard

1 hour ago, ChrisF said:

Probably the best reason for using a Camelback.  It tends to keep its temperature longer.

That luke warm water (or juice) from the bottle really takes some effort to swallow ....

During a December ride I added ice to my bottle outside Paarl .... took about 25km before it was luke warm again.

2 x 620ml camelbak podium

1 x uswe outlander (1.5l bladder)

ek het soos 'n pakdonkie gelyk

as an aside, the uswe packs are incredible, water stays relatively cool (if you add ice at the water stops) and it realy does stay put.

5 minutes ago, Rudi Pollard said:

Up in the mountains it was absolutely brutal. The heat was coming from everywhere. It felt like I was being cooked in an oven from the bottom and the top!

Yes, but it didn't 'really' feel like that. Unfortunately unless you were covered by a Stevenson screen and correctly calibrated, you can't possibly know how hot you felt........ 🤣