Foam inserts for XC bike?

Stephan

On 10/9/2023 at 10:54 AM, Jbr said:

what tyres are you running ? I had my first one recently after 3/4 years puncture free on the MTB. Was my 1st ride on the trails with Schwalbe tyres. Going straight back to Maxxis

Stop buying the cheap performance line ones from sportmans warehouse i say🤣.
Schwalbes new evo ‘super’ line of tires are just as good/better than maxxis casings. 
Super ground=exo, super trail=exo+, then you also get super gravity and super DH. You also get super race but go ask Nino how he feels about maxxis Race version at and their puncture resistance at the epic a few years ago haha.

I have a set of maxxis exo+ on one bike and Schwalbe super trail on another….and ride them both equally badly over the rocks from jonkers, conties etc…without inserts, and have not had any problems on either. And im relatively ‘fat’ again too (90kg😅)

I do like the way the Schwalbe casings feel at lower pressures, theres a zing to them. They FEEL fast. But i also dont mind the EXO+ 

edit: on the cosmetic side of things though….maxxis look like puke. Ive always hated the way they plaster the sidewalls with branding. The OEM white versions or tanwalls are fine, but the normal yellow ones are just dumb. They look like a cheap billboard.

Edited by MORNE

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, MORNE said:

Stop buying the cheap performance line ones from sportmans warehouse i say🤣.
Schwalbes new evo ‘super’ line of tires are just as good/better than maxxis casings. 
Super ground=exo, super trail=exo+, then you also get super gravity and super DH. You also get super race but go ask Nino how he feels about maxxis Race version at and their puncture resistance at the epic a few years ago haha.

I have a set of maxxis exo+ on one bike and Schwalbe super trail on another….and ride them both equally badly over the rocks from jonkers, conties etc…without inserts, and have not had any problems on either. And im relatively ‘fat’ again too (90kg😅)

I do like the way the Schwalbe casings feel at lower pressures, theres a zing to them. They FEEL fast. But i also dont mind the EXO+ 

edit: on the cosmetic side of things though….maxxis look like puke. Ive always hated the way they plaster the sidewalls with branding. The OEM white versions or tanwalls are fine, but the normal yellow ones are just dumb. They look like a cheap billboard.

image.png.5e03f723f23e9b70e2ea7f1cf5e7a531.pngWas that one that I got from the local distributor, when I see the price now compared to the rekon race I feel like crying 😭

Have a look at the Good Year range launched in SA recently. Better value for money than any other tyre out there. Performance just as great and even better.

18 hours ago, DieselnDust said:

Rolling resistance.

this accounts for mass, hysteresis which is informed by tyre casing design and air pressure. The insert is held in place by the tyre therefore it will always influence the tyres rolling resistance. The only way to get way from that is to have it completely free of the tyre and there are no inserts design that functions without contact unless the tyre pressure is so high as to negate the function of the insert. In a road application with the Vittoria inserts the rolling resistance is less impacted because the insert is compressed under the tyre pressure. Mtb inserts don’t function this way. They are always mostly in contact with the tyre casing .

inneglected to mention that the widely held belief that high volume delivers less rolling resistance is being contradicted by assertions that the insert does not impart RR. This is impossible since it occupies volume in the tyre.

< makes pop corn while waiting for pseudoscientific assertions that inserts are exempt from physics>

The insert is held in place by the tyre therefore it will always influence the tyres rolling resistance. 

Based on that, you could argue it reduces the rolling resistance? Do you man to say "negatively affects rolling resistance"?.  I wonder if the lower pressure I run with the insert allows improved grip which  offsets the rolling resistance increase? 

Trailside hassles with an insert depends on the kind of insert. With the Nukeproof version, its not much more than without an insert. The bigger issue is that if you have to remove the insert, you need somewhere to put the hula-hoop.  

8 minutes ago, Headshot said:

The insert is held in place by the tyre therefore it will always influence the tyres rolling resistance. 

Based on that, you could argue it reduces the rolling resistance? Do you man to say "negatively affects rolling resistance"?.  I wonder if the lower pressure I run with the insert allows improved grip which  offsets the rolling resistance increase? 

Trailside hassles with an insert depends on the kind of insert. With the Nukeproof version, its not much more than without an insert. The bigger issue is that if you have to remove the insert, you need somewhere to put the hula-hoop.  

No it can’t reduce rolling resistance, ever. 
Mir can help increase grip as you correct say , lower pressures can help here but remember the volume is reduced so as you compress that tyre the air has to go somewhere and if it can’t there’s a rise i pressure according to boyles law and that ride and fall of pressure.

the bigger contact patch will deliver more traction. Traction can offset the rolling resistance but not all the time since the tyre still needs sufficient pressure to hold its shape and the bulk of the traction is derived from this shape.

An tractive benefits are difficult to derive and I suspect highly subjective. What an insert does do is protect your rims and that is enough of a selling point for me for general day to day riding.

3 hours ago, Jbr said:

image.png.5e03f723f23e9b70e2ea7f1cf5e7a531.pngWas that one that I got from the local distributor, when I see the price now compared to the rekon race I feel like crying 😭

Thats what the maxxis DHF, DHRII, Assegai etc cost too. Saw some DH casing DHRII on a shelf the other day for R1550. Nearly cried. A magic mary and a DHF cost the same these days. 

xc tires are cheap in comparison if they are ‘only’ 899😅

Edited by MORNE

Not to turn this into a tires thread but the new Kendas seem to be really good. Been running a Karma 2 SCT on the back (with an insert) in muddy conditions and had no issue keeping up with guys on DHRs, Aggressors and Magic Marys on the downhills. Crowncycles in Kenilworth is selling them for R550 each!

1 hour ago, michaelbiker said:

Not to turn this into a tires thread but the new Kendas seem to be really good. Been running a Karma 2 SCT on the back (with an insert) in muddy conditions and had no issue keeping up with guys on DHRs, Aggressors and Magic Marys on the downhills. Crowncycles in Kenilworth is selling them for R550 each!

Keep us posted on tire wear, especially on the rear, the V1.0 Karmas were super soft and never lasted very long. Might be a consideration of mine going forward with the way Maxxis pricing is headed

43 minutes ago, PregoRoll said:

Keep us posted on tire wear, especially on the rear, the V1.0 Karmas were super soft and never lasted very long. Might be a consideration of mine going forward with the way Maxxis pricing is headed

Already 580km on this one and it doesn't show any discernible wear. Around 30% tar too. I weigh 75kg so YMMV.

1 hour ago, PregoRoll said:

They’re really good in the west dept. I used one on the front through last winter. It covered Around 3000km. Very impressed with the karma2 and booster pro tyres. Very impressed with the price too. Great value!

15 hours ago, DieselnDust said:

They’re really good in the west dept. I used one on the front through last winter. It covered Around 3000km. Very impressed with the karma2 and booster pro tyres. Very impressed with the price too. Great value!

This is good to know, will definitely consider giving a set a try

The real question is, Do they make it with a tan sidewall

3 hours ago, PregoRoll said:

This is good to know, will definitely consider giving a set a try

The real question is, Do they make it with a tan sidewall

Yes they do . Not sure if there’s stock. I know they have the booster pro with Tan wall available