Foam inserts for XC bike?

Stephan

Does anyone have experience with running foam inserts in XC bike? I like to do a mix of gravel, trail, and some mild downhill stuff on my XC bike, but I have had three snakebites on rocky downhill sections recently. I'll run my tires with a bit more pressure from now on, but as a random thought, I wondered if anyone has gone the insert route on an XC bike? 

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

what tyres are you running ? I had my first one recently after 3/4 years puncture free on the MTB. Was my 1st ride on the trails with Schwalbe tyres. Going straight back to Maxxis

I run Nukeproof insets on my enduro bike. Out back I've had an exo casing Maxxis and not had any flats or rim damage despite running very low pressure and riding some seriously rocky trails around CT in the preceding 12 months.

The Nukeproof version are reasonably priced on order from CRC and pretty light. They don't absorb sealant and can be shortened if they rattle inside the tyre. Inserts don't last forever however and mine already have several chunks out of them where they've taken some hits against the rim. If you get a set of two you can use one out back and keep the second one as a spare. 

They certainly make very rocky trails like CT's Missing Link way more fun as you can use super low pressure and make it up all the really loose rocky climbs while people running 2 bar bounce off into the bush. 

1 hour ago, Stephan said:

Does anyone have experience with running foam inserts in XC bike? I like to do a mix of gravel, trail, and some mild downhill stuff on my XC bike, but I have had three snakebites on rocky downhill sections recently. I'll run my tires with a bit more pressure from now on, but as a random thought, I wondered if anyone has gone the insert route on an XC bike? 

Yep, also works great for gravel. You need to weigh up the extra protection afforded versus the extra admin of sealant top ups and the very slight scenario if you need to tube a tire. 

I was given vittoria inserts at a gravel race, never really considered using them, I always ran hard-ish pressures on the MTB and Gravel and never had issues. I'm keeping them in case I enter a very rocky race one year and I might regret not having them, but so far so good, and on the gravel bike I use very racey schwalbe tyres, not EXO Maxxis tyres.

Nope I’ve never used them because of the addition weight is better in the tyre casing itself . Of course it helps if you already have a flat and it will protect the rim. I’ve destroyed one rim when a slow puncture left me with a deflating tyre in a tick garden. 
I’d  consider it for training with a light weight tyre. But when riding at threshold for 4hrs it’s a bit of a drag 

1 hour ago, Scalpel said:

I have been using Panzer inserts in both XCO bike as well as my gravel bike. Best product in my opinion. Lightweight and it has saved my bacon. I also use their sealant! Probably the best stuff I have ever used!!

https://ridepanzer.com/

Where do you buy your Panzer inserts? After some research, the 29 XC 28mm seems optimal for my back wheel.

3 minutes ago, Hilton. said:

Where do you buy your Panzer inserts? After some research, the 29 XC 28mm seems optimal for my back wheel.

Hilton I bought mine through Feathertec in Pretoria. Johan van Greunen. Where do you stay?

The tyre/sealant combo on MTBs these days is so good it just doesn't seem necessary to run inserts.  In 7 years I have never had a puncture which didn't seal on the trail.  Schwalbe Racing Ralph/Rays, Maxxis Recon/Recon Race, Maxxis Ardent/Ardent Race, it doesn't matter, they are all great.

Running between 1.2 and 1.4 bar.

Andrew

5 hours ago, DieselnDust said:

Nope I’ve never used them because of the addition weight is better in the tyre casing itself . Of course it helps if you already have a flat and it will protect the rim. I’ve destroyed one rim when a slow puncture left me with a deflating tyre in a tick garden. 
I’d  consider it for training with a light weight tyre. But when riding at threshold for 4hrs it’s a bit of a drag 

There is a test somewhere online - inserts are only 1 to 2 watts slower than no inserts. So basically they make almost no difference to rolling resistance. 

I like running low pressure so have tried tyre inserts and yes it helps. That said I would definitely not ride home on it. 

Now I just run little higher pressure in the rear when riding places like Contermans. Plus my new wheels has a fat bead which definitely helps prevent snake bites.