Daniel Britz "The Bike Agent/Trader" thebikeagent.sa@gmail.com 0649251651

Rushdee

A few days ago "Daniel Britz The Bike Agent/Trader thebikeagent.sa@gmail.com 0649251651" enquired about my ad https://bikehub.co.za/classifieds/item/dual-suspension-mountain-e-bikes/668316/2022-orbea-rise-h30-large-with-r60k-upgrades. After sharing personal info that he requested (listed below), he pretended to EFT, then disappeared.
- clear ID copy front & rear pics
- proof of bank account info
- proof of address
- loads of bike pics
- selfie

I assume that this could be a case of identity fraud. Bike ad and personal details could be fraudulently used to deceive interested buyers into handing over cash. Beware.

In the meantime I've applied for Protective Registration on SAFPS's website (Southern African Fraud Prevention Service). My bank's fraud division advised that all credit providers and financial service providers vet new applications through SAFPS I believe.

Please be alert.

Any further advice/input appreciated.

Screen shots of my interaction with Daniel below. Funny, his Whatsapp profile pic actually indicates a shady character..

*edited for conciseness*

01.jpeg.bc98b39f5d15c2b2699b0f708d490db7.jpeg02.png.4e0970e2c714d51399d8c27d2056be28.png03.png.bb6b9337f78b620b734e81894a301767.png04.png.8d73ef14c40171cf24a0c2e61241017f.png05.jpeg.88c05b9436654871e176a330e18bb433.jpeg06.png.f12b17d8a9f9ffb40860b89ad3684451.png07.jpeg.511871b7dd2fbc7de86e557edd337634.jpeg

Edited by Rushdee

Hi Rushdee

Thanks for reporting this scam.

I'd suggest that you remove your phone number from your advert descriptions. This allows people to get your phone number without having a Bike Hub account (and freely on Google).

@Rushdee be careful man. There is a very good chance your details are going to be used to scam the next person or to apply for loans etc. Speak with your bank and maybe Transunion to see if they can get hold of you if any applications are submitted with your details

8 hours ago, Nick said:

Hi Rushdee

Thanks for reporting this scam.

I'd suggest that you remove your phone number from your advert descriptions. This allows people to get your phone number without having a Bike Hub account (and freely on Google).

Hi Nick
So you should remove your number in the description field of your ad and only leave it acquirable through the "PHONE NUMBER" block next to "SEND MESSAGE" and above "BUY WITH BIKEHUB PAY" , correct ? 

So many giveaways it’s a scam…

driver’s side -> should be drive side

Delayed pop -> they always seem to be able to push back and give a time, as if they have any control over this

lawyers drawing up a contract -> if this is what they do, they will have a standard contract they just complete for each sale

giving company registration docs -> a step too far in trying to make it look legitimate 

7 hours ago, Phillippe Coetzee said:

Hi Nick
So you should remove your number in the description field of your ad and only leave it acquirable through the "PHONE NUMBER" block next to "SEND MESSAGE" and above "BUY WITH BIKEHUB PAY" , correct ? 

Yes. It's not a complete solution but does force the scammer to create a Bike Hub account to obtain your phone number.

I don't want to give away too much info because they do read these threads but we can also track (and defend against) far more of their activity if they have an account.

9 hours ago, Phillippe Coetzee said:

Hi Nick

Or just send your number if a serious buyer requests it via Dm.

I would advise that you report this matter to the Information Regulator in terms of POPI. Cover your tracks in the case of identity theft. Also report to the bank simultaneously. If something does happen with your personal information after the date you report to these institutions, you have a timeline of events, proof on record and a series of reference numbers.