Good few Cobras at Tokai today

Dirt Tracker

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

f@#$ roadi time n full swing for me rather LOL. I encountered a few snakes recently even on hikes. I have since slowed down the hiking activities and rather looking into going late in the afternoon otherwise it will be beach side trails or beach walks, then at least I could get in a surf too. Just need a new wetsuit!!!!

19 hours ago, Robbie Stewart said:

Disgraceful! Not only is he going tot get bitten, but the way in which he handles the snake, may injure the snake. There are better and safer ways.

Keeping with the threads title, we have also been seeing a lot more snake activity in our part of the world (Lowveld).

Edited by gerriemtb

3 hours ago, gerriemtb said:

Disgraceful! Not only is he going tot get bitten, but the way in which he handles the snake, may injure the snake. There are better and safer ways.

Keeping with the threads title, we have also been seeing a lot more snake activity in our part of the world (Lowveld).

Just to put it on record, this is just a clip I got sent, and neither I nor my family are related. The puffy pics are at my boet's house. the cobra is a random fool f'ing around who will soon find out.

4 minutes ago, Robbie Stewart said:

Just to put it on record, this is just a clip I got sent, and neither I nor my family are related. The puffy pics are at my boet's house. the cobra is a random fool f'ing around who will soon find out.

doesn't look like it is his first time handling a snake.

plus he is wearing brown khakhi crocs and vloeking at it.

4 hours ago, Eddy Gordo said:

f@#$ roadi time n full swing for me rather LOL. I encountered a few snakes recently even on hikes. I have since slowed down the hiking activities and rather looking into going late in the afternoon otherwise it will be beach side trails or beach walks, then at least I could get in a surf too. Just need a new wetsuit!!!!

Last year I saw more snakes along the side of the road than on trails ... 😬

Indoor trainer looking better and better ... 

16 minutes ago, ChrisF said:

Last year I saw more snakes along the side of the road than on trails ... 😬

Indoor trainer looking better and better ... 

Naa, i am good on the road. Snakes are easier to see on tar

2 minutes ago, Eddy Gordo said:

Naa, i am good on the road. Snakes are easier to see on tar

My worst was on Adderley, near Spes Bona.

Riding on the yellow as a car passes my, with another vehicle approaching.  Tight spacing ....

THIS is when I see the mother of Anacondas ON the yellow line 🙈 (actually just a normal Cape Cobra)

It was already dead .... but in that moment it was thee largest snake on the African continent.

Between muggers, taxis, mom-on-phones, etc snakes may just be the least of our worries.

On 11/15/2023 at 11:59 AM, Dirt Tracker said:

Just got back from a ride and apart from being thermo nuclear on the heat angle I managed to dodge 2 decent sized cobras one the way up. 1 at the quarry entrance and one at the top Faerie Garden entrance. Then on the way down at the very exit of the My Roots / DH 4 while hosting it I managed to see, not compute, brake, not brake as a very lazy large 'stick' was sliding over the entire trail.... then I rode over it's very tippy tail as it was going into the grass then ground to a halt. And man, it was p*ssed. It bolted onto the road and got pretty upright and pretty annoyed (understandably) and massive hood action and then a little voice in my head was like 'why HAVE you stopped about 2.5m from something bitey who you have blatantly annoyed'. Slowly backed away and rolled away, he stayed annoyed and upright as he faded into the distance. I guess all those 'it's snake season on the mountain' is true after all. 

On the plus side I did beat my PR down outta there to the parking! 

Wait so let me get this right....You pissed off a lethal snake stopped and annoyed it more...I think I am staying clear of Tokai for a while with a pissed off Cobra looking to taste test a biker....🤦‍♂️....I may take one of my sons hamsters with as a peace offering to make things right between the snake and bikers

Edited by Shaheedalex

This year has been my first encounter with numerous snakes around the mountains in Cape Town. I have never seen one apart from, I suspect a cobra near one of the snake trails a few years back. 

No snakes on the Tokai snake trails this morning, but I did have to carefully balance railing that big right-hander on Snake Eyes with keeping my eyes peeled 🥷

On 11/15/2023 at 9:47 PM, Dirt Tracker said:

Seems so, just found out house a couple of doors down from ours just lost their their 2 dogs to a suspected cobra this arvo. Plus the daily sightings in the lower plantation around the rivers and the Labrador pool seems it has ramped up this year. 

Both of my dogs are going for snake proofing on Sunday. They expose the dogs to the snake and then drill them with a shock collar. Not nice but it's way better than having a snake killing your dog

29 minutes ago, Duane_Bosch said:

Both of my dogs are going for snake proofing on Sunday. They expose the dogs to the snake and then drill them with a shock collar. Not nice but it's way better than having a snake killing your dog

our vet has told me that this works - not nice - but it was the only option for an owner with a dog near Breede river where there are lots of them

in the past 2 weeks my dog has found a porcupine and two different cobras in the garden, I hear a specific bark and I shoot out to see what she has found, in all 3 cases she has backed off and called us, so its useful to listen to the type of bark in the garden and then get there quickly - hope that helps

my brother has the same thing on his farm with a jack russel and warthog holes, you have to drill it into the dog that exploring that hole is not an option

On 11/15/2023 at 11:59 AM, Dirt Tracker said:

Just got back from a ride and apart from being thermo nuclear on the heat angle I managed to dodge 2 decent sized cobras one the way up. 1 at the quarry entrance and one at the top Faerie Garden entrance. Then on the way down at the very exit of the My Roots / DH 4 while hosting it I managed to see, not compute, brake, not brake as a very lazy large 'stick' was sliding over the entire trail.... then I rode over it's very tippy tail as it was going into the grass then ground to a halt. And man, it was p*ssed. It bolted onto the road and got pretty upright and pretty annoyed (understandably) and massive hood action and then a little voice in my head was like 'why HAVE you stopped about 2.5m from something bitey who you have blatantly annoyed'. Slowly backed away and rolled away, he stayed annoyed and upright as he faded into the distance. I guess all those 'it's snake season on the mountain' is true after all. 

On the plus side I did beat my PR down outta there to the parking! 

There are Black Friday specials on bibs and baggies you may have to take advantage of🤣🤣