Bike Lights - To be Seen

PygaSchmyga

9 minutes ago, MongooseMan said:

It's a constant gripe of ours whenever we ride out on that path before sunrise. I've shouted at more than a few cyclists and runners, it's just plain stupid in my opinion.

the other gripe is rear lights that are hardly noticeable (im sure it was mentioned in this thread, its been a while since I read through it).

The converse on group rides is rear lights that blind you.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

7 minutes ago, The Ouzo said:

the other gripe is rear lights that are hardly noticeable (im sure it was mentioned in this thread, its been a while since I read through it).

The converse on group rides is rear lights that blind you.

And then you get the guys with the pulse/strobe on in pitch darkness????????

4 minutes ago, RustyHWR said:

The pulse strobe at the rear is fine, I think is more visible/recognisable in pitch darkness, strobe in front is a no no.

1 minute ago, The Ouzo said:

The pulse strobe at the rear is fine, I think is more visible/recognisable in pitch darkness, strobe in front is a no no.

Sorry, meant the front. Back/red is a BIG YES.

49 minutes ago, MongooseMan said:

It's a constant gripe of ours whenever we ride out on that path before sunrise. I've shouted at more than a few cyclists and runners, it's just plain stupid in my opinion.

I used to get wildly angry at any observed stupid that crosses my path. I even got into arguments once or twice and let my anger lead me to a place of equal stupid, if not even more so. These days I just shake my head and carry on without reacting. My blood pressure has also benefited from that decision.

30 minutes ago, RustyHWR said:

This is also super annoying. I generally don't use mine. I did today for the first time in years and only activated the strobe feature as I was crossing a busy arterial road in thick fog to warn the morons who take it upon themselves to turn right across my path despite the light being green for me.

5 minutes ago, Robbie Stewart said:

I used to get wildly angry at any observed stupid that crosses my path. I even got into arguments once or twice and let my anger lead me to a place of equal stupid, if not even more so. These days I just shake my head and carry on without reacting. My blood pressure has also benefited from that decision.

Never argue with an idiot. Not only will they drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience, but also from a distance it's hard to tell who's who...

Edited by droo

11 minutes ago, cadenceblur said:

Interesting development from Trek with a varia alternative 

Actually,  a few have their own version, but I see they not available locally. Garmin is milking the market.

5 hours ago, Robbie Stewart said:

I'm being lazy in all honesty to look if this is the right thread, but here goes.

The last couple of mornings I have been out for my regular cycle along the West Coast cycle path to Melkbos. The first hour at least is in absolute darkness. That hour before the sun breaks through the black shroud of night. The last two mornings though was even darker thanks to the pea-soup fog that has been hanging around.

Imagine my utter bewilderment while I am riding on that path, with only my own light shining on the path and thinking I'm alone with not even a car to illuminate things, only to see a bicycle or a jogger emerge from the blackness at the absolute last moment in time. Much too late to even react let alone greet them.

How does someone decide to run / cycle in the pitch blackness of night with not even one light?

I am dumbfounded. 

I regularly see a dad cycling with his primary school kid in the mornings. 

This morning in the thick fog I commuted past them, in the pitch dark.  NO lights ... 😵

15 minutes ago, betaboy said:

Actually,  a few have their own version, but I see they not available locally. Garmin is milking the market.

Yeah, there is an article re. this but can’t post link for some reason . 
Cycling Weekly, apparently the Garmin patent expired in 2021

13 hours ago, ChrisF said:

I regularly see a dad cycling with his primary school kid in the mornings. 

This morning in the thick fog I commuted past them, in the pitch dark.  NO lights ... 😵

and here I was, squeezing my butt every time my varia was notifying of an incoming car

I think something like a Varia will be my next cycling related purchase or some derivative.

2 hours ago, Jbr said:

and here I was, squeezing my butt every time my varia was notifying of an incoming car

exactly .....

I now MISS the Varia when cycling to the trails on the MTB.

9 minutes ago, Dexter-morgan said:

I think something like a Varia will be my next cycling related purchase or some derivative.

I spent a lot of time thinking about this purchase.  Even asked a lot of questions about this on the Hub.

Sadly the information about the Varia is scattered over various threads ....

The unit with the camera - not enough battery for my use (road rides often exceed 6 hours)

The standard unit has much better battery live .... BUT, for optimal battery life you need should not leave it on the default setting when you switch it on, it needs 2 or 3 more clicks .... (I would like some more information on this .... Garmin can improve on this point)

The audible alarm irritates the dinges out of me .... riding along Bottelary the alarm hardly ever stops.

Worth noting the Varia picks up vehicles from about 140m behind you.  You can see as it gets closer.  It uses a colour coded strip as an indication of the approaching speed.

I use this along Roads like Adderley or the section towards Philladelphia with minimal shoulder.  When I see traffic from the FRONT I glance at the Edge screen.  If vehicles are approaching from the rear I will do a quick check to figure out if they are crossing each other close to me.  This is when I take those semi-slick tyres onto the gravel strip.

In town you often find the shoulder dissapear as you approach an intersection ... glance down and check for approaching vehicles .... 

It truly becomes a "rear view camera".

CL / CWC had the best price late last year.

You can set it up all like you want from the head unit, I haven't pressed a button on mine for a week. It wakes up when you start your ride, goes to sleep when you finish your ride (providing you've activated lights control in your Wahoo app, or wherever that is on garmin units).

You can also turn it on/off/change mode from the unit, disable notifications, etc. in a couple of clicks.

EDIT : at the moment bike addict is the cheapest option

Edited by Jbr