The Munga 2023

JohanDiv

27 minutes ago, TyronLab said:

image.png.74866bbab970fcc596085f347e336e46.png

How is that even possible. I come back from a solo 27kph/1hr road ride on my mountain bike and I've done a solid Z3 training session. 

How in the name of all things holy has he averaged that over 650km?!? Conditions being advantageous or not, that's a mind-bending pace.

Out of interest, is the record time an actual recording of Ramses' traverse along the route, or just an average speed assumption based on his finishing time (similar to the cutoff marker)? If it's the former, Drikus is killing it.

@Carlog also going well, only 1hr stopped so far and at ~430km. Strong riding!

that is an astonishing pace to keep for so long.

• Replies 368
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

16 minutes ago, Ozzie NL said:

Drafting at slow speeds in a raging head wind still makes a moer of a difference.

This year they seem to mostly have a tail wind but that is not usually the case

yup... it's all about perceived wind speed, not ground speed. An aircraft can take off while stationary relative to the ground with the correct wind over it's wings

41 minutes ago, Danger Dassie said:

Nope, you'd have to be falling over to not get an advantage from drafting. Any grouping will benefit, no matter the speed. 
All credit to Jenny, nothing untoward and she is a pro in her own right. Still has work commitments but gets in elite level training.
So lets not detract from that by making up physics.

However, in a 1998 paper entitled “Cycling Uphill and Downhill” David P. Swain wrote: “At very slow speeds (on the order of 16 km/h or less) air resistance is negligible, and drafting becomes nearly meaningless.”

>>>

Plus holding the line on corrugated rough roads is more effort than it’s worth. if you disagree what year did you do the Munga and what was your moving time? 

9 minutes ago, SSCC said:

However, in a 1998 paper entitled “Cycling Uphill and Downhill” David P. Swain wrote: “At very slow speeds (on the order of 16 km/h or less) air resistance is negligible, and drafting becomes nearly meaningless.”

>>>

Plus holding the line on corrugated rough roads is more effort than it’s worth. if you disagree what year did you do the Munga and what was your moving time? 

not to get into a pi$$ing contest, but

image.png.a644003ead7072606207378cad45771b.png

I would also imagine that 16km/h figure doesnt take into account a head wind.

But good point on trying to hold a line, although even just to the side of the rider ahead offers a drafting advantage, 

15 minutes ago, SSCC said:

>>>

Out of interest did you complete any of the previous editions of the race?

Why is the Hub so blerrie aggressive these days? Every thread turns into some disagreement (hell, the last couple of posts is the third just in this thread)...

Just, be lekker. We're watching dots on a screen that represent people spending second-hand-car money to ride their bicycles (that cost new-car-money) through the desert in December for zero benefit outside of bragging rights and personal fulfilment... None of this makes sense or should be taken so seriously.

3 minutes ago, TyronLab said:

Why is the Hub so blerrie aggressive these days? Every thread turns into some disagreement (hell, the last couple of posts is the third just in this thread)...

Just, be lekker. We're watching dots on a screen that represent people spending second-hand-car money to ride their bicycles (that cost new-car-money) through the desert in December for zero benefit outside of bragging rights and personal fulfilment... None of this makes sense or should be taken so seriously.

Chalk it up to year-end fatigue and a difficult financial/political/any other relevant context.

(0-time Munga finisher)

3 minutes ago, Roul said:

Chalk it up to year-end fatigue and a difficult financial/political/any other relevant context.

(0-time Munga finisher)

Good idea, maybe for the purpose of the thread we should be identifying ourselves with our pedigree. Maybe that chills everyone the **** out.

2-time Grit Cradle finisher, but I identify as a Full Munga finisher.

Edited by TyronLab

9 minutes ago, Roul said:

(0-time Munga finisher)

Been seeing it in the work-place especially. everyone's fuses are bladdy short.

We all need a holiday.

(0-time Munga finisher, following because a Friend is doing the Equip. He did the Full last year... It is the guy that was photographed face-down in the dirt road in the middle of the day)

31 minutes ago, Ozzie NL said:

Out of interest did you complete any of the previous editions of the race?

Me? Yip. 75hrs something. I mention that because if my slow ass avg moving speed was good enough to be faster than 86% of the field I know what the real moving averages are for each sector. That’s the reason for my view on drafting in this race. 

Edited by SSCC

7 minutes ago, SSCC said:

Me? Yip. 75hrs something. I mention that because if my slow ass avg moving speed was good enough to be faster than 86% of the field I know what the real moving averages are for each sector. That’s the reason for my view on drafting in this race. 

Well done on being a Mungril. Don't think I have that in me

6 minutes ago, SSCC said:

Damn, didn't see that coming ! 😁😁

0-time finisher; 

Based on Mike's blog from 5 years ago I would reiterate and say that there is advantages to drafting. Just because the benefits of drafting "off-road" does not make sense to person X or Y doesn't mean others aren't using said benefits...

Shebeen shared the link and here is a snippet from the blog where at that stage it was only legal to draft until RV1:
image.png.c6e8f22eb374bc02f7c7cd9563b87890.png

Edited by peetwindhoek
duplicate image