The Munga 2023

JohanDiv

1 hour ago, SSCC said:

However, in a 1998 paper entitled “Cycling Uphill and Downhill” David P. Swain wrote: “At very slow speeds (on the order of 16 km/h or less) air resistance is negligible, and drafting becomes nearly meaningless.”

>>>

Plus holding the line on corrugated rough roads is more effort than it’s worth. if you disagree what year did you do the Munga and what was your moving time? 

Thanks, that isn't the entire paragraph however which sets a very different context scenario broadly.  "Given that the appropriate steepness has been reached, a major change in race dynamics occurs. As gravity supersedes air resistance as the primary force that must be overcome, drafting becomes a relatively less useful tool in the competition...." 
Plus most riders are averaging above 16kmh.

Even on corrugations pacing together works, obviously one can't rely on generalisations, but pacing/draughting in a group does on balance offer an advantage. 
Unfortunately, I don't have any Munga palmeres to brow beat with, just my own overall riding experience. Dabbled with some min events and designed a few sets of kit, so I identify as a jersey. 
Without getting personal it also doesn't make anyone's contribution lesser. Understandable that it may be your viewpoint. Well done on doing it, memories for life. 

• Replies 368
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, peetwindhoek said:

image.png.342863cc75ebfa9798f1ec88893b8b3d.png

Since that post showing Drikus' moving average around 2 hours ago, he has increased that even more and sitting at 27.4km/h now! Bliksem, mind blowing stuff. 

Is he drafting Ramses' record time? :)

Or ... is the record drafting Drikus?

1 hour ago, SSCC said:

However, in a 1998 paper entitled “Cycling Uphill and Downhill” David P. Swain wrote: “At very slow speeds (on the order of 16 km/h or less) air resistance is negligible, and drafting becomes nearly meaningless.”

>>>

Plus holding the line on corrugated rough roads is more effort than it’s worth. if you disagree what year did you do the Munga and what was your moving time? 

Let us not conflate doing the Munga with having an exclusive knowledge on aerodynamics in cycling, Bru.

One of the paradoxes in drafting is that even the front rider benefits from having someone on his or her rear tyre, depending on wind conditions. As someone mentioned, drafting has significant psychological benefits even if there is minuscule drafting benefit.  The emotional comfort from sharing the road after many hours of toil cannot be measured.

On a related note, I just wish all those who have entered the safest of passage and with no long-term damage to their physiology and psyche. 

1 hour ago, SSCC said:

>>>

tjaainas going aero at TdF in 1998

Cipollini racing the 1996 Tour de France.

2 hours ago, TyronLab said:

image.png.74866bbab970fcc596085f347e336e46.png

How is that even possible. I come back from a solo 27kph/1hr road ride on my mountain bike and I've done a solid Z3 training session. 

How in the name of all things holy has he averaged that over 650km?!? Conditions being advantageous or not, that's a mind-bending pace.

Out of interest, is the record time an actual recording of Ramses' traverse along the route, or just an average speed assumption based on his finishing time (similar to the cutoff marker)? If it's the former, Drikus is killing it.

@Carlog also going well, only 1hr stopped so far and at ~430km. Strong riding!

he is quite a beast

https://www.procyclingstats.com/rider/drikus-coetzee

2 minutes ago, Danger Dassie said:

Thinus and Willie look like they're together, wonder if this could motivate them to closing the gap to Drikus? 

Willie's tracker is standing still at RV3 on my PC for more than an hour now? It shows Thinus is 10km up the road.

5 minutes ago, JohanDiv said:

Willie's tracker is standing still at RV3 on my PC for more than an hour now? It shows Thinus is 10km up the road.

Trackers are known to be nogal stadig in waking up at times

Just now, Ozzie NL said:

Praat ons nog steeds van Munga nou? .... 

2 minutes ago, Ozzie NL said:

Jip, but he was definitely taking an hour nap there. Started moving now.. 10km behind Thinus. Updated at the same time.