Replacing my roadbike and hardtale for a single gravelbike.

PappaWatTrap

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a gravel bike, although you could argue that my Scott speedster 10 isn’t really a “true” gravel bike.. I have removed the flared drops as I needed 400mm bars and love just the regular drops.. I run 32mm slick tires and spend 99% of my time on road.. I am absolutely loving it.! 

I can descend up to 70km an hour, and the cassette being 11-32 makes climbing a a lot of fun.. about a year of riding mtn bike and I’ve had this bike for about 4/5 months, I get up to 25km per hour average around jozi north if I’m feeling spritely🤣🤣.. about 22/23 on a slightly more relaxed effort.. and I definetly feel as I get stronger the bike will be able to manage a much faster average.. I won’t outride this bike for a very long time a reckon.. 

Also in a privileged position to own all three and then some. The road bike lives in the garage now and gets used on rollers. Not interested to ride it outdoors at all anymore. Couldn't care less about riding on 28c rubber in lycra.
I flip a coin to decide between enduro bike or hardtail and go ride the same trails on either or. I love it.
Obviously the hardtail is a lot nicer on the climbs and most of tygerburm’s manicured trails.

My gravel bike I have a weird relationship with. It’s my chameleon bike and can literally be anything from drop bar fully geared to a single speed flatbar 50c commuter toy that a jump off sidewalks. I thought about selling it….but i cant, i have attachment issues. I think It’s by far my most versatile bike. 

The hardtail still sucks on gravel roads because of the small chainring, riding position and big tires. Granted it’s a trail hardtail and not a XC WeApOn.

Nothing like pushing 42/19 SS on semi slicks in total silence…

ill probably keep it for those reasons…

it was my only bike for a split second in history too. I can confirm there is no such thing as a quiver killer bicycle haha. Just bikes that make you feel a different kind of good on different days in different locations. 

35 minutes ago, NotSoBigBen said:

Ja nee kyk maak my mal 😲 .... Gravel bike is like single speed, you either get it or you don't ... Many confused Paduwans here 😎

For my usage a converted hardtail makes more sense.

Took me some time, but I do appreciate that a real gravel bike is a different beast ...

Having a “sort of” gravel bike and a proper MTB - I have 40mm Cinturato Ms on the gravel bike and it is fabulous on tar and mild trails. I do not like soft sand on this bike. The tyres shed mud with no issue at all but soft sand wobbles I do not like.

I did Lion Man 40+20 on the grave bike and it coped just fine apart from a self-inflicted puncture that I eventually used a tube and finished the Saturday 40 and did a respectable 20 the next day on that same fix. My bike ran out of mountain and I enjoy mountain so I bought a hardtail shortly after Lion Man. 

I’ll choose the gravel on tar any day of the week and pretty sure I’d choose it over a road bike too. Just wouldn’t choose it again for soft sand or sharp rocky mountain when attempting any sort of pace. 

Just my 2c. 

Bought a dedicated gravel bike recently .A Cannondale Topstone with 2 x 11 GRX groupset and Vittorio terrano tyres at 38 mm wide .This has now become my road bike. 'Terrano,s are flat in the center and are as fast as any road tire i have used . I can ride most single tract uphill and flat sections . Downhill riding will cause punctures if you let go of the disc brakes . It is the first time in ten years that i am seriously contemplating selling  my road bikes ,a Spez Roubaix and and a BMC teamachine. The Spez was my gravel bike with 35 mm pathfinders , but it is not a gravel bike . I have a set of Pirelli medium cinturato that will handle any really rough tracts if encountered .I have several bikes ,but now i know you only need a gravel and a dual suss MTB .The Topstone is as close to a perfect bike i have owned in twenty years and it does not have a front suspension .My body is way happier after a three hour ride on a gravel bike than a road bike . 

Edited by eala

1 hour ago, Hein19 said:

cable actuated disc brakes calipers . Anybody know where I can buy these .or something similar . It is for a MTB to Gravel bike conversation . 

Screenshot_2023-12-13-13-37-12-29_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg

I bought zrace br-005 brakes on Aliexpress and received them about a month ago.

You can search youtube for some reviews, not a lot out there but good quality so far.

Edited by Roul
Grammar

48 minutes ago, Hein19 said:

cable actuated disc brakes calipers . Anybody know where I can buy these .or something similar . It is for a MTB to Gravel bike conversation . 

Ewwww disgusting

1 hour ago, Hein19 said:

Perhaps these will work

https://bikehub.co.za/classifieds/item/road-bike-brakes/684755/trp-cable-to-hydraulic (EDIT: Just saw this is only 1)

https://bikehub.co.za/classifieds/item/brake-parts-and-accessories/688544/trp-spyre-cable-disc-brake-set

Else also look at the Juin Tech M1 or R1 depending on your mount, can get them on Aliexpress and also Amazon https://www.amazon.com/Juin-Tech-Actuated-Hydraulic-Cyclocross/dp/B08BWWNL19?th=1

Edited by shaper

21 minutes ago, shaper said:

All good quality brakes, if my budget was a bit better I would have gone for the Juin Techs. The Z-Race was reviewed by Trace Velo in 2022 and it seemed good enough.

I got a gravel with two set of wheels: 650s with 48c for gravel and 700s with 32c road.

Love the setup and I go from road to single-track.

Works for me 😁

20231115_164228.jpg

20231030_174000.jpg

5 hours ago, Hein19 said:

I have some…but not these peasant things. Yokozuna Ultimo. In silver. Google them. Let’s just say they use shimano Saint brake pads. PM me and we can haggle….

also available are some Curve Walmer bars and TRP carbon levers.

Edited by MORNE