[Event] Virgin Active 947 Ride Joburg Road

Faces Advendurance

20 hours ago, Frosty said:

Shows VE.
I'm not licensed for 2024, and I entered the open category, not racing Vets.

But they know how FAST you are !!!

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So I did the race last year for the first time in 10 years.  Made peace with starting very late (9:15) as I no longer have a seeding knowing that the next one will be better.  My wife entered this year, her first cycle race ever.  She is in a earlier batch than me.  How does that work?

Snuck in at 2:54 last year and am in C batch for this year’s ride. Hopefully I can find a good group to work with a try for another sub 3:00

1 hour ago, HG said:

So I did the race last year for the first time in 10 years.  Made peace with starting very late (9:15) as I no longer have a seeding knowing that the next one will be better.  My wife entered this year, her first cycle race ever.  She is in a earlier batch than me.  How does that work?

My second ever race I started in the FIRST bunch 😵

Me having registered on an ebike ....

We had some lekker laughs before the start .... racers thought I was on a media bike.

Seeding often has some strange placements ....

PS - started at the back, and made sure to stay farrrr left as the next two batches came flying past.

PPS - I did consider falling back to a more realistic start group .... with a 40-something degree prediction I took the opportunity to get out as early as possible.  Just as well, shortly after I finished they stopped riders, and stopped the event.

On 10/7/2024 at 1:08 PM, Bike Dewing said:

did they say seeding but meant pursuit index.?! Whatever that even means.🤷🏼‍♂️

I thought this was a road race, I never entered a track race! 

On 10/7/2024 at 1:46 PM, Chadvdw67 said:

I find it a little curious that they said they will put the seeding out already, since there are still 2 races in GP that they will use as seeding for the 947?

Seeding Policy

An entrant’s for Virgin Active 947 Ride Joburg ROAD index will be calculated using the following criteria: The Organising Committee will use selected road events obtained between 1 November 2021 to 30 September 2024 for seeding (at the discretion of the Race Director).

https://ridejoburg.howler.co.za/events/virgin-active-947-ride-joburg-road-2024-35e5

So, a regular seeding race, Meals on Wheels, seemingly won't be taken into consideration.

12 hours ago, thebob said:

Snuck in at 2:54 last year and am in C batch for this year’s ride. Hopefully I can find a good group to work with a try for another sub 3:00

You can go as low as F group and get a sub-3. 

6 minutes ago, mecheng89 said:
Seeding Policy

An entrant’s for Virgin Active 947 Ride Joburg ROAD index will be calculated using the following criteria: The Organising Committee will use selected road events obtained between 1 November 2021 to 30 September 2024 for seeding (at the discretion of the Race Director).

https://ridejoburg.howler.co.za/events/virgin-active-947-ride-joburg-road-2024-35e5

So, a regular seeding race, Meals on Wheels, seemingly won't be taken into consideration.

They have the date wrong, but it is on the site as a seeding event

Screenshot_20241010_070401_Samsung Internet.jpg

4 minutes ago, Chadvdw67 said:

They have the date wrong, but it is on the site as a seeding event

Screenshot_20241010_070401_Samsung Internet.jpg

Ja, MOW is this Sunday. Did the Joburg Classic even happen?

1 hour ago, mecheng89 said:

You can go as low as F group and get a sub-3. 

some of the guys I started with in G last year did sub 3

14 hours ago, HG said:

I gave up on this long time ago. A mate and i used to ride together all the time. We also used to start together. If we split up it was always me finishing before  him, but he consistently got seeded a group or 2 ahead of me. Happened for many years, we just accepted it and he would drop back to my group to start.

• 2 weeks later...
8 minutes ago, Jase619 said:

So, quick question on timing boards, is the one from Cape Town Cycle Tour usable for this race or?

Good question ? Would love to know.

1 hour ago, Jase619 said:

So, quick question on timing boards, is the one from Cape Town Cycle Tour usable for this race or?

Answer: you have to use their board.

Reason: while it would be able to be used, they link the timing board numbers to the list of starters. If your timing board is not pre-registered, it won’t show up as a participant.