the unofficial Cape Epic 2024 thread

Shebeen

1 hour ago, dave303e said:

How do you know someone has done ironman, epic, sani2sea, went to a midlands boarding school, lives in the cape or does crossfit? They will tell you sometime in the first 5 mins of conversation...

You forgot about them being Vegan

• Replies 718
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, babse said:

where does a sub3 august weigh on that real cyclist scale?

Askingforafriend

Don't confuse 'finishing' with 'a reasonable level of performance'

The two are not the same. That's like a sub 7:30 comrades, sub 11 hr IM and a top 200 at Epic.... Very different beasts to finishing!

On 3/25/2024 at 1:04 PM, NotSoBigBen said:

QED!

Screenshot_20240325_125956_Chrome.jpg

Been interesting scrolling through the during- and post-Epic comments and correlating it to my experience of riding the event this year.
Since I was the journalist who actually got this quote from Burry back in 2012, in an interview for the 10-year coffee table book "African Epic: The Untamed Mountain Bike Race" maybe I can offer some context. This was part of a long, rambling and fairly philosophical conversation Burry and I had as he was driving to the airport to race another World Cup block. If you knew Burry, you'll know this wasn't about discounting anyone's mountain biking experience or commitment to the sport. It has nothing to do with whether Epic riders are the only true mountain bikers. He certainly didn't believe that. It wasn't inferring that the Epic was a measure of your worth as a mountain biker. Hell, at that stage most of the World Cup pro field hadn't even considered racing a Cape Epic. Nino had only done one (in 2010).
Burry genuinely rejoiced in meeting and encouraging all riders, no matter their age, background or ability. He was simply saying that no matter where in the field you finish – in a jersey or with twice the finishing time of the pro field – the Epic unites us all in that it takes a certain amount of vasbyt and suffering to complete one. Anyone who has ridden a Cape Epic knows this. Those who have supported a pro team, a mate or loved one know this too. Even if you arrive at the Prologue in the best shape of your life (fitter than your partner, even!) you are now at the mercy of the weather, the terrain, mechanicals, race village viruses, other riders' skill levels, your own mental health, the list goes on... This is true for the entire field. Sometimes you are the hammer, sometimes you are the nail. Not only relative to your partner but at the hands of all the variables that conspire to end your Epic campaign. If you're human, you'll suffer somewhere out there. Burry recognised that was true for all Epic riders, himself included, and wanted to close the perceived gap between the experience of top riders and those further back in the field.

8 hours ago, two hands said:

Been interesting scrolling through the during- and post-Epic comments and correlating it to my experience of riding the event this year.
Since I was the journalist who actually got this quote from Burry back in 2012, in an interview for the 10-year coffee table book "African Epic: The Untamed Mountain Bike Race" maybe I can offer some context. This was part of a long, rambling and fairly philosophical conversation Burry and I had as he was driving to the airport to race another World Cup block. If you knew Burry, you'll know this wasn't about discounting anyone's mountain biking experience or commitment to the sport. It has nothing to do with whether Epic riders are the only true mountain bikers. He certainly didn't believe that. It wasn't inferring that the Epic was a measure of your worth as a mountain biker. Hell, at that stage most of the World Cup pro field hadn't even considered racing a Cape Epic. Nino had only done one (in 2010).
Burry genuinely rejoiced in meeting and encouraging all riders, no matter their age, background or ability. He was simply saying that no matter where in the field you finish – in a jersey or with twice the finishing time of the pro field – the Epic unites us all in that it takes a certain amount of vasbyt and suffering to complete one. Anyone who has ridden a Cape Epic knows this. Those who have supported a pro team, a mate or loved one know this too. Even if you arrive at the Prologue in the best shape of your life (fitter than your partner, even!) you are now at the mercy of the weather, the terrain, mechanicals, race village viruses, other riders' skill levels, your own mental health, the list goes on... This is true for the entire field. Sometimes you are the hammer, sometimes you are the nail. Not only relative to your partner but at the hands of all the variables that conspire to end your Epic campaign. If you're human, you'll suffer somewhere out there. Burry recognised that was true for all Epic riders, himself included, and wanted to close the perceived gap between the experience of top riders and those further back in the field.

The truth about completing an Epic is that anybody with moderate ability can finish .The catch is how much preparation and vasbyt you mixed in before and during the event . For some it just another event . For others it is the single biggest accomplishment of their lives . It is now five years since i received my medal . I know how much effort it took . I follow friends every year and watch anxiously as time passes and when they don,t move along i know how deep they are digging .Burry knew this 

Can I gooi a spanner ?

Take someone like Matt or Nino 

They race the MF'er to the line on day 8 

So if they were to ride at a pace that allows them to come in with the last finisher would it be a casual stroll for them  or somewhere in between just so they don't have to be one the bike so long but long enough for it to feel like a 60% effort 

/random though while reading the last few pages //

1 hour ago, BaGearA said:

Can I gooi a spanner ?

So if they were to ride at a pace that allows them to come in with the last finisher would it be a casual stroll for them  or somewhere in between just so they don't have to be one the bike so long but long enough for it to feel like a 60% effort 

Go watch Daryl Impey's daily videos, I think it gives a good idea of just how huge the gap is between a world tour pro and a middle of the pack Epic rider.

1 hour ago, BaGearA said:

Can I gooi a spanner ?

Here’s what a 20min all out effort looks like before and after.

You know some of the names so it’s relatively simple to extrapolate 

https://www.instagram.com/reel/C5G6EIQKz6M/?igsh=amVkYmkxNGk0NXU=

20 hours ago, two hands said:

then you will also know that there are some efforts to refresh the commentary team, if you are up for a public flaying on here, I think it would be nice to hear your voice and insights, I have suggested Hermida to throw in some Spanglish too

got anything in the diary for next year March? who do we suggest it to?

19 hours ago, DieselnDust said:

Here’s what a 20min all out effort looks like before and after.

You know some of the names so it’s relatively simple to extrapolate 

https://www.instagram.com/reel/C5G6EIQKz6M/?igsh=amVkYmkxNGk0NXU=

Pity they didn’t interview Luke Moir before and after as he won the XCC from Alan. The latter looks like he was on a cruise though 

Edited by DieselnDust

19 hours ago, BaGearA said:

Can I gooi a spanner ?

They would be tired from the track standing

1 hour ago, Shebeen said:

They would be tired from the track standing

Fact 

but well rested from napping after every single track 

“We are going for 400 watts average or 448 normalised power...”   - Buff-Megamo team tactical discussion in the kitchen a day before the prologue.

Gotta love the heart and soul in this video release.

Edited by 'Dale