Random Morning in the South

sierrrd

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

and on a Monday nogal... eish.... will this survive till Friday?

While some of these shots do not flatter the cycling community at all, there are none of the inconsiderate drivers close-passing cyclists for no reason, other than they weren't paying attention or are hell-bent on proving a point to 'damn cyclists who deserve what they get'.

I was on the R27 (no shoulder) yesterday near Elands and kept to the left of the roadway (as the Traffic act stipulates) and signaled to cars approaching from the rear (thanks Varia) that I'm human and need a bit of space, yet even on that empty road, with no other cars about, I still got hooted at and close-passed. Sadly, those two times (2x too many, IMO) out of the dozens of considerate and patient drivers are the ones that will stick in my mind about yesterday's ride home.

And it's the same with cyclists... a driver sees a group behaving abysmally, and vents frustratedly at every other cyclist they see after that... 

Hey ho... be safe out there kids... there are humans out and about

The comments section kills me on these..... 

It's a lot of pointing fingers at the cyclists, which, to be fair, is somewhat warranted. Big groups are always a pain. 

No one ever questions the cars though and if you do it's not relevant.

Like that entire section of road has a speed limit of 60kph but almost everyone is speeding. 

The common denominator is humans. We are ALL junk at times. I've sped on that section of road many times, I've ridden 2 abreast on that section of road many times. Not maliciously or dangerously on purpose, but I have. 

We can all do better. Drivers, cyclists, influencers and finger pointers. No one in the pictures, the comments or on this forum is throwing the proverbial first stone

3 minutes ago, Robbie Stewart said:

Now these same boets will scream blerrie murder at the next taxi that crosses their path, blissfully ignorant of their hypocrisy.

image.png.e783ccae1a8254033f1ae913c6bf67f3.png

^^^This...

4 minutes ago, Robbie Stewart said:

Now these same boets will scream blerrie murder at the next taxi that crosses their path, blissfully ignorant of their hypocrisy.

image.png.e783ccae1a8254033f1ae913c6bf67f3.png

The guy in the purple shirt is one of you trail boets, pal. 

No roadie rides a heavy trail lid with a visor. 

25 minutes ago, Jewbacca said:

The guy in the purple shirt is one of you trail boets, pal. 

No roadie rides a heavy trail lid with a visor. 

A boet is a boet regardless of where or what you ride.

I also thought it would be the sock choice rather than the lid selection that gave that clue to possibly being a trail rat :ph34r:

Somebody needs to invite Mr Hitchkock to come have a look see this side of the Boerie curtain in the run up to the world champs of fun rides ....

Da Souf does NOT have the monopoly on this behaviour ....

Be safe out there Hubbers 👍

I did a peninsula loop on the 14th January and that whole stretch from kalk bay right into Simonstown was beyond dangerous. I’m not sure if it was just the last of the festive season so busier than normal or if that is the norm these days but yeah, I felt a bit unsafe. Obviously now with Argus coming up, I expect that road to be packed full of cyclists. But yeah my experience has kinda put me off it and I much prefer riding over Llandudno.

I will also add that when a cyclist stays as far to the left as possible, for me personally I think it invites a car to take an already tight gap. So when I ride a road where there is no shoulder, I make sure that the car is not going to take any stupid chances because the only way he can pass me is to go half on the oncoming lane or just be patient and wait for safe moment to pass. People might disagree here but that for me is much safer. Everyone needs to be more tolerant which is obviously easier said than done. Cyclists should not be riding 3 abreast but at the same time, vehicles need to be more patient.

That particular stretch of road is so popular and is buzzing with people cycling, running, walking their dogs etc, it’s actually pretty sad there is no protection for cyclists.

1 hour ago, Jewbacca said:

The comments section kills me on these..... 

It's a lot of pointing fingers at the cyclists, which, to be fair, is somewhat warranted. Big groups are always a pain. 

No one ever questions the cars though and if you do it's not relevant.

Like that entire section of road has a speed limit of 60kph but almost everyone is speeding. 

The common denominator is humans. We are ALL junk at times. I've sped on that section of road many times, I've ridden 2 abreast on that section of road many times. Not maliciously or dangerously on purpose, but I have. 

We can all do better. Drivers, cyclists, influencers and finger pointers. No one in the pictures, the comments or on this forum is throwing the proverbial first stone

Jewie, there's a reason why we say in Afrikaans mensDOM and diereRYK...

23 minutes ago, Bub Marley said:

I did a peninsula loop on the 14th January and that whole stretch from kalk bay right into Simonstown was beyond dangerous. 

The last few weekends of Jan did seem busier than usual and felt quite dangerous as you say.

This weekend felt less so from a traffic and general public perspective.

Of course, now in the run up to CTCT, every bike owner is out on the road ... great to see as long as everybody behaves.

38 minutes ago, ChrisF said:

Somebody needs to invite Mr Hitchkock to come have a look see this side of the Boerie curtain in the run up to the world champs of fun rides ....

Da Souf does NOT have the monopoly on this behaviour ....

Be safe out there Hubbers 👍

he are living that side of the worsgordyn!