Deristricted E Bikes

The itch

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

if an Ebike is capable of speeds in excess of 25 kph then they are required to be licensed to ride on a public road in the UK - is this true? seems a bit over the top 

50 minutes ago, dave303e said:

If you are hitting the limiter of the ebike then step onto a bicycle like the rest of us, because your fitness and or capability is not actually a restriction worth riding an ebike.

good to know dr Dave

I regularly hit the limiter on my ebike.

but I reckon I will stick to the ebike .... as the cardiac arrythmias I get come and go .... and on a day that the old ticker is acting up the only way im getting home is if I call the wife or get some assistance from the bike

1 hour ago, dave303e said:

If you are hitting the limiter of the ebike then step onto a bicycle like the rest of us, because your fitness and or capability is not actually a restriction worth riding an ebike.

And there it is! The fallacy that only fitness "inferior" people ride e-bikes. I ride my e-bike for fun and cause I can do loads more runs and distance than on a non-assisted bike. I also ride my enduro, gravel and trail bikes for fun. Fitness has nothing to do with e-biking in my case. Try one, you might just like it

39 minutes ago, thebob said:

And there it is! The fallacy that only fitness "inferior" people ride e-bikes. I ride my e-bike for fun and cause I can do loads more runs and distance than on a non-assisted bike. I also ride my enduro, gravel and trail bikes for fun. Fitness has nothing to do with e-biking in my case. Try one, you might just like it

No thank you I'll wait until, at least to my mind, I really need one to be able to continue riding .... but that's just me it would appear 😜

11 minutes ago, NotSoBigBen said:

No thank you I'll wait until, at least to my mind, I really need one to be able to continue riding .... but that's just me it would appear 😜

and sadly when that day comes (and it can happen in the blink of an eye, I know this from personal experience), everyone will assume that you just riding it because you lazy!

22 minutes ago, NotSoBigBen said:

Nope. Not just you.  Still on own powered bicycles. Not much power but still going forward at 75.

Edited by Prince Albert Cycles

8 minutes ago, Prince Albert Cycles said:

Nope. Not just you.  Still on own powered bicycles. Not much power but still going forward at 75.

Well done, that's what I aspire to,  God willing that is!

Always the same - the early adopters see the value and go out and embrace new ideas and then the whole paradign shifts.  Some examples 

Horse drawn wagons when cars came along

Steam engines vs electric or diesel electric trains

Roadbikes when MTB's came along

Disc vs Rim Brakes

Full suspension vs hard tail

26 vs 29

ABS vs non ABS

Tubeless vs non tubeless.

thin tyres vs wider tyres

High pressure vs low pressure

In every instance the older technology is seen as purist, more romantic, harder core, etc etc etc. I will embrace it when i am 90 or over my dead body. I will pedal my hardtail rim brake to my grave etc. I can brake better on rims , i ride better with the tyres hard. What happenes when tubeless goes awry.

And in every instance the new tech wins the day and you all end up on it eventually. 

THere is an ebike in every old mans future i will tell you that.

2 hours ago, The itch said:

if an Ebike is capable of speeds in excess of 25 kph then they are required to be licensed to ride on a public road in the UK - is this true? seems a bit over the top 

Not just licenced, but subject to the laws related to licensing. So manufactured to motorcycle safety expectations etc 

3 hours ago, thebob said:

Any experience with hitting the limiter on an ebike? It's not a great experience and could lead to an injury or worse if it happens at the wrong time.

Also, an electric motorbike is not an ebike. I don't see the IOM racers pedaling their Mugens and Taddy sure isn't pedaling his Stark

Some understand "pedal assist" vs "e-moto"....

The rest ..... well, they dont ....

59 minutes ago, Paul Ruinaard said:

Always the same - the early adopters see the value and go out and embrace new ideas and then the whole paradign shifts.  Some examples 

Horse drawn wagons when cars came along

Steam engines vs electric or diesel electric trains

Roadbikes when MTB's came along

Disc vs Rim Brakes

Full suspension vs hard tail

26 vs 29

ABS vs non ABS

Tubeless vs non tubeless.

thin tyres vs wider tyres

High pressure vs low pressure

In every instance the older technology is seen as purist, more romantic, harder core, etc etc etc. I will embrace it when i am 90 or over my dead body. I will pedal my hardtail rim brake to my grave etc. I can brake better on rims , i ride better with the tyres hard. What happenes when tubeless goes awry.

And in every instance the new tech wins the day and you all end up on it eventually. 

THere is an ebike in every old mans future i will tell you that.

I suppose each of us is free to decide when it is time for his “ eventually “

1 hour ago, Prince Albert Cycles said:

I suppose each of us is free to decide when it is time for his “ eventually “

May I add, ENJOY every day that your health allows you to pedal under your own steam :thumbup:  

And if e-MX or whatever other playful reason is your thing for getting on an e-bike ..... ENJOY

Arno natuurlik is die sin op "almal" gemik 

I'm fit and relatively strong because I love pushing hard and chasing climb segments on my analog/acoustic/"real" gravel/road bike. I wouldn't even consider going E on the road, there would be zero point for me.

But my trail bike has a motor because I have very little interest these days in dirt climbing. Maybe I enjoyed it to an extent many years ago, but not anymore. I'm on the mountain because I want to hit the features, rail the berms and pick my way through rock gardens. I hate having to suffer on the climbs to be able to do so, so I don't.

The two really aren't mutually exclusive.

PS: Come to think of it, I think I hate climbing so much these days because I'm at Tokai all the time, where it really sucks having to suffer for half the ride right from the start... 😆

Edited by LazyTrailRider

My sister in law got an e-bike in order to keep up with her very fit husband which allows her to ride with him which would otherwise be impossible and she wouldn't ride and he'd be solo on his 90km rides ...

I still shake my head when an e-bike with a similar or more fit guy flies past me at (an unrestricted) 50kmhr on a climb ....mIm due to try an e-bike just for the fun of it in a few weeks but can confidently say that when I'm too old and **** to ride my Amish bikes I will ride a smokey 2 stroke off road bike....😎

13 hours ago, LazyTrailRider said:

I'm fit and relatively strong because I love pushing hard and chasing climb segments on my analog/acoustic/"real" gravel/road bike. I wouldn't even consider going E on the road, there would be zero point for me.

But my trail bike has a motor because I have very little interest these days in dirt climbing. Maybe I enjoyed it to an extent many years ago, but not anymore. I'm on the mountain because I want to hit the features, rail the berms and pick my way through rock gardens. I hate having to suffer on the climbs to be able to do so, so I don't.

The two really aren't mutually exclusive.

PS: Come to think of it, I think I hate climbing so much these days because I'm at Tokai all the time, where it really sucks having to suffer for half the ride right from the start... 😆

This reminds why I got an ebike. I was a 6 to 10 hour a week, Sani mid pack rider but approaching my three score years and ten I found that, on a pushbike, a 30km, 450m of climbing too 3 hours and left me weary for the day. On longer rides (eg. out of Die Hel), companions were having to wait half an hour or more for me. A solid climb up to a downhill trail at say Giba blue was a once off only and many short, steep technical (rocky zig zags that need momentum) climbs I used to enjoy left me shattered and had to be finished on foot.

ebike rewinds 15 years and I can ride more or less wherever I like, up hill and down dale (except in the rain, my ebike is sensitive like that).