SRAM launch new powerful Maven brakes

News bot

SRAM have released their most powerful brake to-date: the Maven (pun intended). Dialled for gravity riding and e-bikers, Maven produces nearly 50% more power than the SRAM Code, while requiring 32% lighter force at the lever to generate the same amount of stopping power: reducing fatigue and boosting control. get all the details in the full press release below. Press Release Maven is the absolute most powerful brake we’ve ever made. Usable power for efficiency and tunability. Extreme power for elevated speed and control on ever-more demanding terrain. More Power Maven produces nearly 50% more power than one of the […]

View full article

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

finally a reason to consider SRAM brakes...no more DOT brake fluid. I guess half of this could be marketing BS. You obviously then don't NEED brake fluid to make a powerful and consistent brakes. Mineral oil much better for your health, your paint, the environment etc.

34 minutes ago, MORNE said:

finally a reason to consider SRAM brakes...no more DOT brake fluid. I guess half of this could be marketing BS. You obviously then don't NEED brake fluid to make a powerful and consistent brakes. Mineral oil much better for your health, your paint, the environment etc.

Won't say much other than the fluid your brakes uses to achieve a closed hydraulic system shouldn't influence which one you buy.

...or go get rid of your car.

I like em , Props to Sram for always being on the development train.

10 hours ago, BaGearA said:

Won't say much other than the fluid your brakes uses to achieve a closed hydraulic system shouldn't influence which one you buy.

...or go get rid of your car.

I like em , Props to Sram for always being on the development train.

It does for me lol. I exclusively buy mineral oil systems. Im a home spanner and i hate DOT fluid. Has nothing to do with how it performs or why. Its just terrible caustic and generally nasty stuff to work with around anything with a surface you want to look nice for a long time. Unless you live in the northern hemisphere winters you basically also don't have a reason to use it, its primary advantage is useless down here on a bicycle. And then the stuff is hygroscopic too…
Al wat ek se is, bicycles for the most part don't NEED to use junk like DOT fluid to achieve high performance braking systems and Im glad a major player in the industry seems to be moving along from that view too.

It’s a bicycle, not a superbike.

Edited by MORNE

3 minutes ago, Headshot said:

About .01% of the SA mtb market will be interested in these brakes 😄

I would be one but my gut tells me we are probably looking at R10K + lol. And that makes it a hard no for me. 

Edited by MORNE

9 hours ago, DieselnDust said:

Two  piece caliper

decent weight

Nice colours

win win win

Bonus being the ‘cheaper’ ones actually look nicer tgan the pikey top spec ones😅

48 minutes ago, Headshot said:

About .01% of the SA mtb market will be interested in these brakes 😄

Just like all of us thinking that only 0.01% of people could justify the ZEB when it was originally released?

43 minutes ago, MORNE said:

Bonus being the ‘cheaper’ ones actually look nicer tgan the pikey top spec ones😅

Yeah, I love the functionality, but for some reason a new set of Code Ultimates still look nicer to me. This looks very agricultural.

I'd like to rephrase "Take my money!" statement to "Maybe I'll give you my money..." 😆

Mineral oil is just not standardized which is a pain in my opinion, you can buy any brand of dot 5,1 and know roughly what you getting and what point it boils. There is over an 90deg C difference in boiling points between 2 brands of mineral oil and the labels may not say so.

This is probably why a very specific brand of mineral oil is required for these brakes. 

Overall I like them, brakes look good, look like they are solid

30 minutes ago, dave303e said:

Mineral oil is just not standardized which is a pain in my opinion, you can buy any brand of dot 5,1 and know roughly what you getting and what point it boils. There is over an 90deg C difference in boiling points between 2 brands of mineral oil and the labels may not say so.

This is probably why a very specific brand of mineral oil is required for these brakes. 

Overall I like them, brakes look good, look like they are solid

The bike industry is run on popular opinion not good engineering thinking

5 minutes ago, DieselnDust said:

The bike industry is run on popular opinion not good engineering thinking

Kindof like electric cars right?😅