Cape Town Cycle Tour 2024

pdasilva

2 hours ago, SilverRider said:

Finally got round to downloading and enjoying the pics. Dankie Chris, dit was 'n fantastiese Argus-naweek!

Sharing the weekend with friends from outside the Western Cape is such a pleasure !

"We"  (the locals) get into a comfort zone, and we look past the beauty of the Western Cape.  

What an wake-up call when we see you appreciate what we have.

The saddest part is the locals that do the race and rush home .... 2023 I got to experience the post race vibe, while we waited for the tannie.  Overseas visitors walking up to us as we sat at the restaurant ... start talking like old friends, just because we are follow cyclists.  2024 walking down to the V&A Waterfront and spending the afternoon with friends. 

Still cant believe we walked back, and up the hill to the B&B with by then 120km in the legs, so fast ...:P

What an absolute eye opener !!!

Baie dankie dat julle my dorp met my deel :thumbup:

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

13 minutes ago, ChrisF said:

I only started doing road events in 2023 (since 1995).

The vast majority of Hub comments are about the first couple of racing groups.  Looking at Durbie Dash, Winelands and 99er this is maybe 15% of the field.

There are LOTS of slow riders !!!

You can find your pace and have a fun day out.  Your wife will have lots of other riders to ride with.

This most certainly applies to CTCT as well.

If I may .... what is your goal time ?  If you are a 4 hour rider .... consider an ebike for your wife.  You can then enjoy the ride together.  Welllll .... she may spin out when you want to go faster ... and she may just hammer you on the climbs, and not in a good way.  If you are aiming for 3:30 ... well then you will be faster than the 3:50 minimum time allowed for e-bikes.

My only goal will be to finish & have no incidents or cause any. I do have the legs & lungs to ride for a very long time in the red. I will only see on the day. Putting at least 8-10hrs per week in + other training as well at the moment. Have some MTB background, so I am pretty used to grinding and transferring frustrated feelings to the pedals.

The wife will moer me if I get her an E-Bike, she just got her Orbea and she is as tuff as leather, the only thing I struggle with her is to get her to break through her own pain barrier occasionally. Guess she just needs some mental guidance. 

On 3/13/2024 at 12:18 PM, Tim Brink said:

The caveat in wanting the stretch of road after Smits fixed, is it is not going to be a couple of weeks or months to sort out. It is a very long piece of road that needs proper rehabilitation, not just a new layer of tar, and having it closed for a year or two or three could be disastrous to the CTCT. Main road was doable, with Boyes Drive as an alternative and a small amount of low-speed roadworks deviations. This would be a different story - you can't make safe temporary solutions for big groups of  bicycles doing 50/60/70km/h.

I would imagine the roads damaged during the rains last September (and any other similar freak of nature) would get priority over a road that only needs resurfacing.

4 hours ago, Steven421 said:

Following this thread....

The 947 2024 would've been my first proper "long distance" road race. But I am now reconsidering due to the safety of riders aspect. Me and my wife ride together, and obviously she cannot keep up with me after the first 30-40km of a hard-ride. When we do group rides on weekends I need not to worry about her, because I know she will be in a group and not left alone. But, when it is only me and her doing a long ride, I tend to hold back a lot after the first 30-40km to ensure that we either ride together. I then end up doing a Zone1&2 ride that started out as high intensity. Her day remains productive, and mine becomes a recovery ride.

Just because of this safety concern, I will never be able to focus on my own ride & effort.

What do you fine people suggest we do.

1) Don't worry, and just ride 94.7
2) Move our focus to CTCT 2025 and train towards this event.

PS we also have a Suikerbos(sie), this side of the border which I enjoy riding, but the wife hates it. 

Yes to 1) and 2)

Where do you stay, or ride?
There are safe places to ride (relatively speaking, of course).

It you ride consistently in your "Z2" every week, you'll be amazed how "just riding" makes a big difference to your overall fitness. event 1) is 3.5 months before event 2) so if you training for 2), then you  can use 1) as a practice event.

13 minutes ago, Frosty said:

I would imagine the roads damaged during the rains last September (and any other similar freak of nature) would get priority over a road that only needs resurfacing.

My first cycle tour was in 2012 - I remember that road being bad & bumpy even bad back then and ever since.

Can't help but wonder if there is a specific reason for the condition of that stretch that has not yet been mentioned on this thread.

On 3/12/2024 at 6:58 AM, The Ouzo said:

Talk of 5-10 minutes burst and plenty freewheeling in this thread. This is my HR data for the race, plus setting a new max HR of 10bpm higher than what it was. 

IMG_1063.jpeg

Oh, you are such a loafer - this is what HR average should look like :

image.png.362d5a04b0a5f85d6656bf13c741ff0a.png

😇

Edited by Max Headroom

1 hour ago, Max Headroom said:

Oh, you are such a loafer - this is what HR average should look like :

image.png.362d5a04b0a5f85d6656bf13c741ff0a.png

😇

Genuine interest: For how much of that time do you feel like you're on the verge of puking and how do you deal with it? 

Edited by Vaultboy

On 3/13/2024 at 6:06 AM, MORNE said:

Have you seen the roads in the rest of the country? When last have you been to the EC? GP? NW? LP? hell…london UK?? Lol
The roads here are great.

We all know some of the roadworks around the peninsula are due to recent flooding and fires. A few months ago roads around chapmans peak and other parts weren't even open, not even traversable due to landslides. I think they did pretty well given the hand they were dealt. 

Im sure we can buy you a coke and a water if it will make things better? 

the London and surrounding roads are awful....I have never seen so many potholes and I am Irish...irish roads are in a much better state...😀

5 hours ago, ChrisF said:

Sharing the weekend with friends from outside the Western Cape is such a pleasure !

"We"  (the locals) get into a comfort zone, and we look past the beauty of the Western Cape.  

What an wake-up call when we see you appreciate what we have.

The saddest part is the locals that do the race and rush home .... 2023 I got to experience the post race vibe, while we waited for the tannie.  Overseas visitors walking up to us as we sat at the restaurant ... start talking like old friends, just because we are follow cyclists.  2024 walking down to the V&A Waterfront and spending the afternoon with friends. 

Still cant believe we walked back, and up the hill to the B&B with by then 120km in the legs, so fast ...:P

What an absolute eye opener !!!

Baie dankie dat julle my dorp met my deel :thumbup:

the western cape is very special 

14 hours ago, The Ouzo said:

Ok you win. 😄

image.png.8190d0772c90c801836e57fb734fa9df.png

This doesnt make sense to me though, because I set a new Max HR of 10bpm higher than my previous Max.