Buying a new helmet. What you like and what you don't like

Hey Hubbers,

I would appreciate your thoughts and opinions on the topic of helmets.

With so many options available in the SA market, choosing the right helmet can be a challenge. What factors do you usually consider when purchasing a new helmet? Do you prioritize the brand, features, and price, or do you base your decision on the helmet's appearance and fit? 

What don't you like? What would put you off buying a specific helmet?

I love some thoughts. Maybe we can turn this thread into a helmet buyers guide 

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Fit first - head and helmet shape need to be a good match and must sit firmly (ie ratchet and straps must work too)

Weight - after 3+ hrs in the saddle, extra weight on the neck can be an issue. Lighter helmets tend to also be cooler

Crash warranty 

Price, brand, looks, MIPS - equally important but wouldn't go for an unknown / unproven brand

9 minutes ago, ChrisF said:

MIPS

Everythings else is just personal preference.

Different helmets fits differently .... test before you buy

^^^^ This. Try it on. And take your eyewear and beanie/buff/skullcap along to make sure.

I was adamant I wanted a new Abus. Tried it on and took it off after a second... seems I have a bump on my head the helmet did NOT accommodate it...

all the above points very valid...fit and comfort, hence you HAVE to go to the shop and try them on...and with your eyewear too...

and MIPS [or equivalent] a no-brainer

you cannot buy a helmet on recommendations [like a saddle]

1 hour ago, Rapunzel said:

wouldn't go for an unknown / unproven brand

Most probably comply with minimum safety standards but I'm probably the same and would rather stick to a reputable brand that's been suitably tested.

Fit

MIPS has almost become mandatory.

Appropriate for purpose.

Price

Other features will differ marginally between brands and are often difficult to tell difference.

As mentioned, fit the helmet to see if it pairs well with your head. Fit it with your glasses. I find it annoying if my glasses are touching/hitting my helmet. Also check if the helmet retention buckle at the back/sides interfere with your sunglass arms. I prefer a proper forehead pad inside the helmet, as it keeps more sweat out of eyes. Helmet needs good ventilation to reduce amount of sweat into eyes.

Has anyone had the chance to test out their helmet of choice before purchasing it? I know a helmet can feel pretty different after a few km of riding 

Does Mips actually make that much of a difference? Most of the big brands have to stick to certain safety standards. Do the benefits outweigh the negatives ?

8 minutes ago, Inked Mountain said:

Has anyone had the chance to test out their helmet of choice before purchasing it? I know a helmet can feel pretty different after a few km of riding 

Does Mips actually make that much of a difference? Most of the big brands have to stick to certain safety standards. Do the benefits outweigh the negatives ?

11 March 2023 I had the unfortunate opportunity to TEST MIPS ...

High speed incident landing on my head, and twisting my neck into my chest.  Two things happened:

1.  The helmet did an excellent job of absorbing the impact.  Few stones left inside the foam of the helmet.

2. Most of the "twist" action was absorbed by the MIPS.  The inner layer of the MIPS stayed in place, with the outer shell of the helmet rotating over my head and face, much like a motorcycle visor would.  (strange the details we remember in that moment)

Without the MIPS my neck may well have suffered severe injury.

Some other brands sell "similar to MIPS" ... but when you look at it, it is actually crumple zones, not a rotating shell.  Please ensure you get MIPS or equivalent rotating functionality.

One thing I'll now consider when buying a new helmet is the accessibility and price of replacement parts. 

I bought a MET Rivale MIPS in 2021 for R2550.00. Great helmet but the forehead inner padding started falling apart last year. No problem, I see the padding as a consumable item. I asked the local MET dealer for a quote for replacement padding... R1200! 

I struggled to pull the trigger on 6 pieces of material, seemingly worth half the entire helmet. 

5 minutes ago, Spinnaroonie said:

One thing I'll now consider when buying a new helmet is the accessibility and price of replacement parts. 

I bought a MET Rivale MIPS in 2021 for R2550.00. Great helmet but the forehead inner padding started falling apart last year. No problem, I see the padding as a consumable item. I asked the local MET dealer for a quote for replacement padding... R1200! 

I struggled to pull the trigger on 6 pieces of material, seemingly worth half the entire helmet. 

That’s just ridiculous 

Having seriously crash tested a few helmets already, these are the key things I look for:

Firstly, structural strength. I look to see how strong the shell is and how much of an impact I think it can take while still staying in one piece. Anything that doesn't seem very strong is immediately discarded. 

Secondly, impact absorption. Simply, how good is the inner lining.

Third, fit. It must fit very well. And I prefer a helmet that goes down behind the ears.

Fourth, ventilation. More is better.

Fifth, MIPS.

Sixth, replaceability of sweat absorption liners etc.

Seventh, eye shade (yes. some roadbike helmets also have removable ones).

Eighth, price.

Ninth, wind resistance.

Tenth, colour.

Your priority list may vary. Some would especially puts MIPS higher on the list. But all my crashes have been non-MIPS and utterly destroyed the helmet but I'm still okay (my wife may disagree).  They were very strong helmets too though.

Edited by MudLark

1 hour ago, ChrisF said:

11 March 2023 I had the unfortunate opportunity to TEST MIPS ...

High speed incident landing on my head, and twisting my neck into my chest.  Two things happened:

1.  The helmet did an excellent job of absorbing the impact.  Few stones left inside the foam of the helmet.

2. Most of the "twist" action was absorbed by the MIPS.  The inner layer of the MIPS stayed in place, with the outer shell of the helmet rotating over my head and face, much like a motorcycle visor would.  (strange the details we remember in that moment)

Without the MIPS my neck may well have suffered severe injury.

Some other brands sell "similar to MIPS" ... but when you look at it, it is actually crumple zones, not a rotating shell.  Please ensure you get MIPS or equivalent rotating functionality.

I’ve had 2 crashes where I’ve written off a helmet. One helmet had MIPS, the other didn’t. The one without MIPS was a much heavier impact, got hit by a car, and it still saved my head.

So I dont think MIPS is the be end and end all. If the helmet has it then great, but all helmets have to pass a certain safety standard anyway. Of course if you have the option, then go for the one that has MIPS, but there are some manufacturers like Abus that still don’t use MIPS.