Stolen: Specialized Turbo Levo (orange) - without battery 2016 (Western Cape)

MTBAustria

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, madmarc said:

I think BikeHub needs another name change

CPO = Cycling Prosecuting authority 😁

The sad part is that the CPO - a bunch of casual cycling forumers - has proven way more capable of finding/exposing fraud,skollies, dodgy deals than actual authorities in many instances….purely by intuition and black belt google-fu.

3 hours ago, madmarc said:

What we, the collective cycling community, need is an Etzebeth collection agency ....

Let's not forget how many of these bikes are re-distributed at the point of a gun.  And we read all too often of our fellow cyclists that end up in hospital when they do anything but hand over the bike with a tip and a thank you ....

die stront moet stop !!

3 hours ago, madmarc said:

1 hour ago, MORNE said:

The sad part is that the CPO - a bunch of casual cycling forumers - has proven way more capable of finding/exposing fraud,skollies, dodgy deals than actual authorities in many instances….purely by intuition and black belt google-fu.

We are really great at that. Spelling out acronyms is our weakness though.

Wow. This thread is a GEM! 

Also, I'm not buying the oopsie daisy I didn't know it was a 4.5k ebike with a "faulty" (ahem missing) battery. Hell. The components alone are worth than x20 that. The bike legally goes back to the original owner. And the deelers and the steelers must mar go sit in court and face the music. 

Edited by V18

On 4/23/2024 at 6:11 PM, Oliver1012 said:

My son Jordan bought the bike last week and only got a booking at CW yesterday, hence posting it today. Many people buy and sell of FB marketplace, it is rather common. The seller gave a legitimate history of the bike and my son thought it was a bargain because of the faulty battery. He is not out there to profit from stolen goods....

And as a perant the thought never crossed your mind that the deal was suspect. Proceeded to book a service and flip it for 20k profit. A cyclist and Hub member for a few years can't tell me you didn't have a suspicion. 

2 hours ago, NickGM said:

We are really great at that. Spelling out acronyms is our weakness though.

Its obviously phonetic  

Othority - as in we have no REAL authority…

it therefore indemnifies us from general pitchfork mob dealings and hurt feelings.

🙃😋

Edited by MORNE

12 minutes ago, Barry said:

And as a perant the thought never crossed your mind that the deal was suspect. Proceeded to book a service and flip it for 20k profit. A cyclist and Hub member for a few years can't tell me you didn't have a suspicion. 

THIS...

Also how old is @Jordan Van den heever and did Daddy @Oliver1012 fund this purchase? 

I'm with the guys on here who say that as a hub member for a few years already and with the knowledge of taking it to CWC for a service, they were both well aware that 4.5k was an absolute "steal"...

excuse the pun

Edited by FootballingCyclist

What a load of BS, alarm bells ringing here and I’m sorry but this story does not sound plausible at all. 
As has been mentioned, the value alone should have raised suspicion. 

Have these people gotten hold of each other? @MTBAustria?

Theres obviously a case number. The people and serials are now all known. The seller, the people and now parent who bought the stolen goods and its also not so hard to get @CWC Online involved to share info once you let them know they’ve almost unknowingly been made part of a dodgy love triangle. 

5 minutes ago, MORNE said:

Have these people gotten hold of each other? @MTBAustria?

Theres obviously a case number. The people and serials are now all known. The seller, the people and now parent who bought the stolen goods and its also not so hard to get @CWC Online involved to share info once you let them know they’ve almost unknowingly been made part of a dodgy love triangle. 

@MTBAustria was last active on Monday. Maybe @Matt can pop him a mail or heads-up on developments.

1 hour ago, Barry said:

I am not an active cyclist and signed up with bike hub when we went through a cycling phase. The price did not sound right but I never gave it so much thought. My son buy and sells regularly on FB so it was not an activity out of the ordinary. Lesson learnt 

1 hour ago, Barry said:

@MTBAustria was last active on Monday. Maybe @Matt can pop him a mail or heads-up on developments.

We sent @MTBAustria 2 messages with no response. Not sure how else to reach him. Any advice

5 minutes ago, cadenceblur said:

Perhaps take the bike to the police station and give a statement as well

Yes I think that is the best option. Might be a hassle (prolonged process) for the owner to get the bike back once it's in saps possession but hopefully not