Low balling!!

Brettowski

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't get the animosity...
If I (Pietie Nobody) offers 30% of asking - sure, that may be considered low-ball.
But if a recognised Intermediary* does so, that is the price to pay for * --> it is your choice on whether that is a fair price for *, for you.

- An intermediary provides liquidity - you get your money early/immediately, without the risk of the item continuing to taking up space in your Pain Cave.
- An intermediary takes away the risk associated with a difficult buyer or underlying issue, which you were unaware of.

31 minutes ago, jcza said:

Check post count, you're welcome. 

if only Admin would share some anonymised data we could build a RFM model on buyers and sellers and you can choose which segment to shop/sell in 😄 

45 minutes ago, Akon said:

I don't get the animosity...
If I (Pietie Nobody) offers 30% of asking - sure, that may be considered low-ball.
But if a recognised Intermediary* does so, that is the price to pay for * --> it is your choice on whether that is a fair price for *, for you.

- An intermediary provides liquidity - you get your money early/immediately, without the risk of the item continuing to taking up space in your Pain Cave.
- An intermediary takes away the risk associated with a difficult buyer or underlying issue, which you were unaware of.

Problem is when that intermediary relists for 400% the original price 

And trust me its happens enough that this stigma exists 

1 hour ago, jcza said:

46 minutes ago, karma said:

if only Admin would share some anonymised data we could build a RFM model on buyers and sellers and you can choose which segment to shop/sell in 😄 

We did once roughly apply the Rouxtjie Rule to eliminate active Classifieds users that didn't make the cut. A fun experiment but it didn't leave you with much of a marketplace to trade with. 😄

1 hour ago, jcza said:

Rouxtjie rule is impractical and any amount is also grey 

Sure its hard to expect everyone to regularly post but even a certain someone has 54 forum posts under their belt

Low Balling is a daily trend from some of the guys on the hub.

It’s probably one thing if a hubber makes a low ball offer to a fellow hubber. But there are so many Dealers on the hub nowadays and they all low ball coz this is where they buy and sell 90% of the time.

I had a dealer offer me less than half the price on one of my bikes, on the 3rd offer he made over the weeks I told him not to insult me.  Never heard of him again.  Sad thing is, they offer these low prices and next day the bike is on the Hub again for dubble the price.  

Maybe there should be a specific section only for Dealers or so called Traders on the Hub.  Almost like Auto Trader.  Maybe there is something we can do to easier Identify dealers on the hub for the normal Hubber and Joe Soap 🧼 This will make the negotiations or dealings a lot more transparent for everybody from the start.  Maybe a set monthly or yearly fee for the guys that wheel and deal on the hub just like on Auto Trader🚗 for vehicles.  It’s one thing if you have a shopfront or store and you buying and selling new and used stuff, these guys have overheads and bills to pay, these are also the guys that will be willing to pay a fee.  But every Tom, Dick and Harry nowadays think they can buy and sell bicycles etc out of their garages or from their homes.  They have zero overheads, these guys are the LOW BALL CUM LAUDE🤣

Maybe the Bikehub can look into this for the future. 

47 minutes ago, Nick said:

We did once roughly apply the Rouxtjie Rule to eliminate active Classifieds users that didn't make the cut. A fun experiment but it didn't leave you with much of a marketplace to trade with. 😄

I guess his weighting could have been aggressive in certain aspects, just guessing that's why you got that result..

If interested, let me know.

12 minutes ago, Cleaver said:

It’s probably one thing if a hubber makes a low ball offer to a fellow hubber. But there are so many Dealers on the hub nowadays and they all low ball coz this is where they buy and sell 90% of the time.

I had a dealer offer me less than half the price on one of my bikes, on the 3rd offer he made over the weeks I told him not to insult me.  Never heard of him again.  Sad thing is, they offer these low prices and next day the bike is on the Hub again for dubble the price.  

Maybe there should be a specific section only for Dealers or so called Traders on the Hub.  Almost like Auto Trader.  Maybe there is something we can do to easier Identify dealers on the hub for the normal Hubber and Joe Soap 🧼 This will make the negotiations or dealings a lot more transparent for everybody from the start.  Maybe a set monthly or yearly fee for the guys that wheel and deal on the hub just like on Auto Trader🚗 for vehicles.  It’s one thing if you have a shopfront or store and you buying and selling new and used stuff, these guys have overheads and bills to pay, these are also the guys that will be willing to pay a fee.  But every Tom, Dick and Harry nowadays think they can buy and sell bicycles etc out of their garages or from their homes.  They have zero overheads, these guys are the LOW BALL CUM LAUDE🤣

Its called business accounts and its already a thing 

2 hours ago, V18 said:

Bring back the advert comments. 

You’re doing it wrong. The correct way to protest its removal and advocate for its return is just to say:

I

Edited by MORNE

1 hour ago, Cleaver said:

I did a quick scan, seems most "multiple sellers" are now registered as "business accounts".

So you know immediately what you are dealing with.

Then again ....a certain member has more than 400 adds, but not a "business account".  Another is closing in on 600 adds, also not a business account.

But hey, the stats are right in your face.  Easy enough to spot this aint no ordinary person selling his 2nd bike on the Hub.

2 hours ago, BaGearA said:

Rouxtjie rule is impractical and any amount is also grey 

Sure its hard to expect everyone to regularly post but even a certain someone has 54 forum posts under their belt

I know, we have moved from community to  gumtree. 

1 hour ago, MORNE said:

You’re doing it wrong. The correct way to protest its removal and advocate for its return is just to say:

I

Even that comments thread was gold 🥇 

Gold old days after the good old days