Low balling!!

Brettowski

The second hand market is a buyers market. Hate to admit this but BH is just like Facebook Marketplace. There is no real difference. 

The value of a second hand item will differ from person to person. 

If you don't like the offer, just say no - simple. 

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, Shebeen said:

lemme guess. bikemarket.co.za?

They have trained a human to act like a bot. Put an advert up and you get a limited offer for your item at 30-50% of what you've put it up for.

it's spam. you can block them.

Had the same experience...

7 minutes ago, Sandro said:

You can't control what people will offer, you can only control what you'll accept. Pick your battles.

that’s True actually, annoying but at the end of the day they just okes trying to make a living in hard times like the rest of us..

decline the offer🤷🏼‍♂️

Came here to confirm the culprit. Was not disappointed😅

anyway, if you have been keeping an eye on classifieds you would have noticed the trend of stuff not selling and prices going lower every second week or so. There are amazing things on here that have seen a reduction in price of nearly 50% since end 2023. 

Great time to be a buyer for sure. Amazing deals to be had especially if you are building.

only advice I can give at this stage is it’s not a great time to sell a full bike. Not even a frame judging by some of the adverts. 

Dunno if I'm being daft or just ignorant.

If I see an item advertised here, I'm going to send a message to the seller to enquire if the item is still available. How else are the potential buyer going to know if the item is still available or not. I always add my real name and Tel number to my enquiry.

If the seller is a half decent human being, he can respond in one of the following ways. 

1) Yes, it is still available, are you interested?

2) Yes, but there is a sale pending, should it fall through you are next in line / no. xyz in line

3) Sorry, it's sold already.

4) Don't waste my precious time by asking such a stupid question, you imbecile. DON'T YOU KNOW THE HUB RULES FOR BUYING 2nd HAND PRODUCTS ON OFFER BY A PRIVATE SELLER.

5 minutes ago, Wannabe said:

Dunno if I'm being daft or just ignorant.

If I see an item advertised here, I'm going to send a message to the seller to enquire if the item is still available. How else are the potential buyer going to know if the item is still available or not. I always add my real name and Tel number to my enquiry.

If the seller is a half decent human being, he can respond in one of the following ways. 

1) Yes, it is still available, are you interested?

2) Yes, but there is a sale pending, should it fall through you are next in line / no. xyz in line

3) Sorry, it's sold already.

4) Don't waste my precious time by asking such a stupid question, you imbecile. DON'T YOU KNOW THE HUB RULES FOR BUYING 2nd HAND PRODUCTS ON OFFER BY A PRIVATE SELLER.

BECAUSE  YOU CAN SEE THE AD AND IT ISN'T MARKED AS SOLD!!!

Yes there will be the exception where someone sells something and forgets to mark it as sold, but let's operate on status quo, not exception.

Also, if they're not interested, why did they waste your time by saying is it available to start with?

It grinds my gears!

Rant off.

14 minutes ago, wolver said:

BECAUSE  YOU CAN SEE THE AD AND IT ISN'T MARKED AS SOLD!!!

Yes there will be the exception where someone sells something and forgets to mark it as sold, but let's operate on status quo, not exception.

Also, if they're not interested, why did they waste your time by saying is it available to start with?

It grinds my gears!

Rant off.

Nah, man.
For every popular item that I've listed at a fair price I've had 3 or 4 parties show interest. That's a very low success rate of giving a "yes" to "is it still available", and much higher rate of "yes, but negotiating with a another person. Will let you know." I have no issues with how people open discussions or how they open negotiations. 

I've been fortunate that in all my years on BikeHub, whenever I enquired about availability, the seller always responded with either a 1, 2 or 3. 

Must be an older generation thing where curtesy mattered....... 😁

Edited by Wannabe
Spelling

1 hour ago, Aurora said:

The second hand market is a buyers market. Hate to admit this but BH is just like Facebook Marketplace. There is no real difference. 

The value of a second hand item will differ from person to person. 

If you don't like the offer, just say no - simple. 

It might seem like opinion, but account ratings, community feedback and bikehub pay are massive differences.

7 hours ago, Brettowski said:

Simply advertising an item doesn't imply desperation from the seller. It's disrespectful for BH members to propose offers 40 to 50% lower than the asking price. If unable to afford the asking price, make a reasonable offer instead of attempting to take advantage. Let's be realistic with our offers.

I also think some people grossly miscalculate the price of their second hand bike

I see some ridiculous asking prices that would never ever get a sale, so offering a reasonable price might actually get them a sale

for example, there are some 2015 26'er asking for 15k. You just not going to get that price 

39 minutes ago, Shebeen said:

It might seem like opinion, but account ratings, community feedback and bikehub pay are massive differences.

What feedback ?  New buyers wont know to ask questions.  New buyers cant be pre-informed, as there are no comments allowed. 

The ONLY advantage of Bike Hub vs Marketplace or any other portal is "Bike Hub Pay" ... Yet, week after week the tears flow of some deal that went South, and neither party wanted to use Bike Hub Pay.

Scammers ... This surely is THEE reason to be super careful of Marketplace and similar.  Let's be honest though, couple of pretty sad posts off late of long standing Hub members involved in deals that "did not go smoothly".  ZERO expectation of "community" of "safety in post numbers" just because you are dealing with a Hubber, sadly so.  And right back to Bike Hub Pay - THEE one thing which elevates this platform above the others  (now if only people would use it more often)

Skuus, ek gaan sit solank in die hoek.