Saddlebag chafing

Hi all,

The saddlebag on both my roadbike and mtb has been chewing through my bibs on both sides of my rear-upper-leg. I'm unsure if it's a setup issue? Or just the way I'm positioned on the saddle/bike? Or maybe the saddlebag itself?

I've had to replace all of my bibs after two or three rides which is incredibly wasteful, not to mention costly.

I can't ride without the saddlebag as it has a few important tools, house keys and my phone strapped to it, but I'm not keen on replacing a bib every other weekend either.

The saddlebag straps to the seat tube and saddle rails. It is slightly tappered from the opening to the seat tube strap.

Has anyone experienced the same issue? Or have some advice?

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Easy solution. Do away with the saddlebag. 

Thats why jerseys have pockets.

Rule # 31:  // Spare tubes, multi-tools and repair kits should be stored in jersey pockets.If absolutely necessary, in a converted bidon in a cage on bike.

Saddle bag should not be anywhere near your ass or legs while riding - Something not right here, I would hazard your bag is too big

Oh and saddle bags are not cool especially on a road bike - the style police will hunt you down and arrest you.

Road Bike - Everything in your jersey pockets - If there not enough place you carrying too much junk.

MTB - Top tube bag or Cycling jersey pockets or Camelbak. I have a bottle cage mounted to my seatpost and use a clamshell, you can also keep it in one of your frame bottle cages but then you lose the additional hydration

image.png.b0a17e2d1431899153b3de8c768bc09d.png

If I'm putting my tools/spares in my back pocket then where does my food go ?

If I'm putting my tools/spares in my bottle cage then where does my second bottle go ?

Screw the style police, I'll use my saddle bag thanks. (Although I try and keep it as small as possible, if I could afford one of those fancy new tubes that role up small then I could reduce the size of my saddle bag further)

As it is my pump goes in my back pocket already

enough space for food, a pocpac (with tools and tubes etc.)  and your phone in jersey pockets?

If an additional tube is required - the options shared by Splat are great - or if a Specialized saddle - one of their bandit straps.

28 minutes ago, The Ouzo said:

If I'm putting my tools/spares in my bottle cage then where does my second bottle go ?

Screw the style police, I'll use my saddle bag thanks. (Although I try and keep it as small as possible, if I could afford one of those fancy new tubes that role up small then I could reduce the size of my saddle bag further)

Not too bad: https://www.temu.com/za/ridenow-56g-bicycle-inner-tube-for-29-inch-mtb-bicycle-cycling-accessories-g-601099548341384.html.

Just now, The Ouzo said:

a tube from temu, probably comes pre punctured. :) 

These are great. I have several and they are no diff to the tubolitos which cost double. They also sometimes come with a free patch kit.

42 minutes ago, The Ouzo said:

I think you need to re-organize your picnic basket.

A pump ? Now thats old school - Co2 bombs X 2 mounted on/behind a bottle cage - if you really worried about punctures, one on the 2nd cage gives you 4 bombs

I Have some pouches i got flying B/Class on Lufthansa they about the same size as a jersey pocket - in there goes - additional 2 X Co2 bombs, Co2 adapter - chain break - spare quick link - tyre levers - spare tube (roll it tight) - Plastic gate - valve adapter to use the pump at the garage. 

Left pocket - Maybe 2nd tube - phone - glasses because my arms are getting to short to read or see

Right pocket - energy bar or 2 

Those poly tubes are great, I have one for my MTB and they really save a lot of space but they are expensive. when i looked locally at the time they were over 500 ronds, got mine overseas for about 200 ronds and i see Solomons sell them now for about 250 ronds - not sure on the quality though 

11 minutes ago, madmarc said:

I think you need to re-organize your picnic basket.

A pump ? Now thats old school - Co2 bombs X 2 mounted on/behind a bottle cage - if you really worried about punctures, one on the 2nd cage gives you 4 bombs

I Have some pouches i got flying B/Class on Lufthansa they about the same size as a jersey pocket - in there goes - additional 2 X Co2 bombs, Co2 adapter - chain break - spare quick link - tyre levers - spare tube (roll it tight) - Plastic gate - valve adapter to use the pump at the garage. 

Left pocket - Maybe 2nd tube - phone - glasses because my arms are getting to short to read or see

Right pocket - energy bar or 2 

Those poly tubes are great, I have one for my MTB and they really save a lot of space but they are expensive. when i looked locally at the time they were over 500 ronds, got mine overseas for about 200 ronds and i see Solomons sell them now for about 250 ronds - not sure on the quality though 

if you're ruining the aesthetics of the bike by mounting bombs on your bottle cage then you as might as well use a saddle bag.

I have bombs in the saddle bag, but bombs and tubeless sealant dont mix well (or so the story goes), so the pump goes with me.

With all that in your pockets your jersey must hang rather low.

my phone gets its own pocket, nothing else goes in there, if I must put something there it wont be anything hard that can possible scratch the phone.

I had one of these until I lost it during the wet argus a few years back. Small, compact, neat.

image.jpeg.74fc9a4850fb662b2b595fa6b7923257.jpeg

I had the exact same thing, took me a while to realise the velcro strap that goes around the seat post was catching my bibs. 

I managed to find one of these Evoc bags from my lbs. 
Hold all my tools and the velcro strap is long enough to fit a spare tube in.

P_THV047738.jpg

Saddle Bag.jpg

1 hour ago, The Ouzo said:

I thought the saddle bag was acceptable and the top tube bag was a no no🤷🏼‍♂️.. 

I like a wrap strap for my tube and things sitting under my saddle..